Whats the "best" Shooting 4x4?

Beretta28g

2.8 pajero all the way, if you buy a landrover and you don't know what your lookin at your gonna end up with loads of problems, the pajero has a chain driven engine so no cambelt to worry about, you'd get a cracking one for 2k, they don't even have a catalytic converter it's just a straight through exhaust, they are not quick by any stretch of the imagination but they will pull a house down! I really rate them, and they have a centre diff lock which the discos don't there an absolute animal off road... 2.8 pajero

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK cheers, i have a look at one.

What i think ill do is have a butchers around some local garages at models selected, once i find one i like ill wait till i see one at a good price.

I now have at year MOT so its not essential but desirable. I dont mind getting one that needs some work doing to it, and doing tat over the winter.

I am quite big which is a consideration, and do carry a lot of gear.

Having had a butchers at dads surf i reckon with the rear seats down i could get a red in the back, which would mean i wouldnt need to use a trailer when i go through to the gamedealers.

Cheers All

with the seats folded down me and my son can go shooting for 2 days kip in sleeping bags in the back without my head or feet touching anything, very comfortable as far as Kipping in cars go :)

If you are talking about throwing reds into it I think that you would be far better of getting a pick up of some sort. At least then you are going to have a separate area for the beast. I drive a 2005 hilux double cab which I have had for just over the 8 year mark and all I have had to do is put new tyres and the back end exhaust unit on it and MOT it. I shoot and transport lots of Deer and it gets me where I want to go every time.

Disco all the way for me. Mine is a 96 auto has done 167,000 had it 4 years & the only thing I had to do was put a new rad in. Passed it's MOT every time without spending a penny. They also cost less to repair, unlike the jap ****.

If you don't know what your looking for, you could end up with an old pig but that's no differnt for any thing else.

Every body is different, so each to there own.

For stalking a pick up must be a good idea, i love mine easy to clean out and loads of room. Im from norfolk too and our 2 shooting vehicles are a 2.8 pajero and an l200, as already said tyres make all the difference.

A friend of mine has terrano and he loves it, i would def go something jap over land rover.

Good pajeros are getting hard to find now.

In that price range i think you would be wise to look for a 2.7 terrano a LWB would be my choice but you may get by with a short if you have been managing ok with the jimny so far. MPG can be as good as early 30s if you are carefull.

I replaced my Terrano with a patrol GQ 2.8 and that although a very nice car was heavy on fuel by comparison in fact our curent 4x4 V10 Touareg is no worse.

Get a terrano at that budget is my advice.

Had lots of 4x4 s over the years more than happy with all of them ( there all ok till they stop working ) i would rate top 6 as

1 surf 3.0

2 300 tdi disco

3 Lwb 2.7 terrano had 5 never had a problem

4 grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 ( shame back diff got shagged )

5 jaguar v6 2.5 awd awesome motor quite impractical though ..

6 Volvo xc70 awd top class motor till the valve chest goes in the auto box and everyone wants 1k +vat

After yrs of driving a lot of nice motors I have come to the conclusion u can't beat old sheds there cheap to maintain , source parts from your corner shop , and any competent person can work on them :)

I've just recently bought a Ford Maverick Mk2 , 2002.

56k miles FSH, one owner, 3.0 V6 Petrol auto.

Lots' of toys, big sunroof and good 4wd.

£2.5 k :)

25mpg, no worse than big engine TDI's I've had, but petrol is 1.29 at JS at the moment.

I do less then 8k a year as it's just my shooting truck.

They did make a 2.0 vetec motor, take a look, there something different.

I'm enjoying mine.

If you don't do big miles, do the maths on fuel costs, it doesn't always have to be diesel.

Good luck :good:

post-21697-0-84616700-1369777473_thumb.jpg

Edited by MITCHF

Mitsubishi all day long , just check as the old paj's have a habit of the rad clogging up and overheating leading to head gasket failure but anyone who knows would have attended to it already , I have had several pajeros and shoguns and can't speak highly enough of them , it's true they are usually at the back of any off roader type expeditions but that's because that have to pick up all the bits that fall off of the discos and freelanders for the owners who mistakenly thought they were good cars when they parted with their cash ;-)

Mitsubishi all day long , just check as the old paj's have a habit of the rad clogging up and overheating leading to head gasket failure but anyone who knows would have attended to it already , I have had several pajeros and shoguns and can't speak highly enough of them , it's true they are usually at the back of any off roader type expeditions but that's because that have to pick up all the bits that fall off of the discos and freelanders for the owners who mistakenly thought they were good cars when they parted with their cash ;-)

yawn.gif

yawn.gif

you know he is right though :whistling:

I had to put the girlfriends parents caravan away yesterday in their field and it just reminded me why I don't have a disco god it made a meal of it and the smell of clutch was something else. yes it was a little soft but no different to when I towed it straight out with my lowly mitsubishi. Sounded like it had air brakes whats that all about or is something else broken on it :lol:

you know he is right though :whistling:

I had to put the girlfriends parents caravan away yesterday in their field and it just reminded me why I don't have a disco god it made a meal of it and the smell of clutch was something else. yes it was a little soft but no different to when I towed it straight out with my lowly mitsubishi. Sounded like it had air brakes whats that all about or is something else broken on it :lol:

Maybe so....

What I can't understand is how come every time a Jap car driver talks about how good their car is, they can't do it without mentioning how bad Land Rovers are?

Is it some sort of inferiority complex?

inferiority or superiority :whistling: I'm mostly joking as I don't mind driving other peoples defenders on shoot days but I just wouldn't want one for my use. The outlaws disco is mint and well looked after but i can't stand driving it, wallows, lack of poke and just not a good place to be. I upset them the other day when they suggested if they gave it to me would I have it and I said no :lol: but it takes all sorts. Some love them some hate them plenty hate the jap vehicles it wouldn't be the same if everyone liked the same cars

2.8 pajero all the way, if you buy a landrover and you don't know what your lookin at your gonna end up with loads of problems, the pajero has a chain driven engine so no cambelt to worry about, you'd get a cracking one for 2k, they don't even have a catalytic converter it's just a straight through exhaust, they are not quick by any stretch of the imagination but they will pull a house down! I really rate them, and they have a centre diff lock which the discos don't there an absolute animal off road... 2.8 pajero

Pajero :good:

had mine a couple of years and its been great, Lots of help from owners club forum.

Mine is a 2.5 and has been no trouble at all but people do seem to rate the 2.8.

This is all well and good but, and it's a big but, the latterly mentioned head gasket issue is a common problem, really common and it's difficult to check for until you've bought the ******! Worse still, it quite often leads to cracked heads before it's picked up, and a cracked Pajero head is scrap! I've had two Pajeros, both of which suffered with head gasket problems and the other constantly recurring theme of the issue of diesel pump seals. Personally, I'd not buy another Mitsi unless it was on an 06 plate or later, the 4D56 engine/ancillaries have too many known major issues.

Edited by -Mongrel-

This is all well and good but, and it's a big but, the latterly mentioned head gasket issue is a common problem, really common and it's difficult to check for until you've bought the ******! Worse still, it quite often leads to cracked heads before it's picked up, and a cracked Pajero head is scrap! I've had two Pajeros, both of which suffered with head gasket problems and the other constantly recurring theme of the issue of diesel pump seals. Personally, I'd not buy another Mitsi unless it was on an 06 plate or later, the 4D56 engine/ancillaries have too many known major issues.

B/S www.Mitziheads.co.uk He comes to you and fits the parts outside your house.

He came to me and fitted a new injector pump seal. To my 98 2.8 td Flared arch model Shogun.

Fitted new heater plugs i supplied. And a new rocker box gasket I supplied. And he charged me £180.

He dose new heads for the 2.5 and the 2.8 for £350.

Water pumps £24. Timing chain £32. For the 2.8 M4 40 Engine.

The 2.5 dose suffer with head problems. The 2.8 is by far superior.

It's human nature to say that the vehicle that you currently own is better than others. There will be some people putting other cars down that they have never owned too, so they're not talking from experience, just what they've heard.

Also , one person can have a particular car that is faultless for years, and another person can have the same car that costs them a fortune in repairs. So a lot of it is down to luck too.

I have had hilux surfs for over 10 years. Never had an ounce of trouble with either of them. A friend of mine had a pajero, but has recently changed to a gen3 surf, and he loves it. Surf was far better off road and better fuel consumption than the pajero.

Defenders are a great offroad car. Not very good on fuel , but they really hold their price, so because of lower depreciation, they can work out cheaper to run in the long run, as long as it doesn't break down, and cost a lot in repairs.

So I don't really think that there is one that stands out as "the best".

You're probably best just test driving as many as you can, and buy the one you like, and hope that it is a reliable one.

It really is "Each to his own."

Buy one with a big boot/big engine and fit some decent tyres, then tell everyone its the best 4x4 ever and better than theirs :lol:

Have had a hilux that i used for work (building) and it was unstopable even though it was abused daily,would buy another but newer and i might even wash this one.

Have driven suzuki sj and it was a good LITTLE work horse and would love one as a project now.

Had a swb frontera,brilliant motor,must have been designed for shooting the way the lid comes off,never got stuck,comfortable on and off road and you cant say that about a defender :ninja:

Had test drive in a 300tdi and loved it,but it did have so many problems,shame really liked it.

Also drove a sorento.wow wow wow,google it,read the reviews.test drive one BEFORE you knock it,buy an 06 onwards in black and thats where our probs started,couldnt find one at right price that hadnt been to the moon and back.

I now own a 5 dr se td4 :whistling: a step down but it does everything we want and i only have to run the td4 and the van now instead of a car and a 4x4 and it has lots of goodies that work,had to fit bigger tyres (bfg) to get some ground clearence though.

Next purchase will be a new freelander/discovery/sorento/hilux :/