Whats the "best" Shooting 4x4?

Beretta28g

Buy one with a big boot/big engine and fit some decent tyres, then tell everyone its the best 4x4 ever and better than theirs :lol:

Have had a hilux that i used for work (building) and it was unstopable even though it was abused daily,would buy another but newer and i might even wash this one.

Have driven suzuki sj and it was a good LITTLE work horse and would love one as a project now.

Had a swb frontera,brilliant motor,must have been designed for shooting the way the lid comes off,never got stuck,comfortable on and off road and you cant say that about a defender :ninja:

Had test drive in a 300tdi and loved it,but it did have so many problems,shame really liked it.

Also drove a sorento.wow wow wow,googl,read the rs.test roaring on YouTube....ne BEFORE you knock it,buy an 06 onwards in black and thats where our probs strted,couldnt find one at right price that hadnt been to the moon and back.

I now own a 5 dr se td4 :whistling: a step down but it does everything we want and i only have to run the td4 and the van now instead of a car and a 4x4 and it has lots of goodies that work,had to fit bigger tyres (bfg) to get some ground clearence though.

Next purchase will be a new freelander/discovery/sorento/hilux :/

Been looking at the sorento myself, some good videos of them off roading on YouTube...

Likewise, trying to find one with under 100k miles and a decent price is hard to find... plus the common problem of the fuel tank lining peeling away and clogging up the fuel filters puts me off a little....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been looking at the sorento myself, some good videos of them off roading on YouTube...

Likewise, trying to find one with under 100k miles and a decent price is hard to find... plus the common problem of the fuel tank lining peeling away and clogging up the fuel filters puts me off a little....

They sorted that problem after mid 06 :good:

Have you watched the europeans taking them across country,good vid and very impressive.

They sorted that problem after mid 06 :good:

Have you watched the europeans taking them across country,good vid and very impressive.

Ah, ok.

Yes, seems they have owners clubs etc...

Particularly liked the video of the Sedona cruising over a hill and a defender taking a couple of attempts .....

Just seen the road tax prices !!! Bit steep..... But on the other hand, the insurance is cheaper than my jimny!!!

Edited by chrispti

A new head for a 4d56 can be had for 300 quid so not sure why it makes them scrap.

Seals were an issue on the 2.8's as far as I know

LOL! Ok, so, I said a cracked Paj head is a scrap head. Your solution is to buy a new head. So what exactly are you proposing we do with the old knackered head if you're not sure why they are now scrap?

Ah, ok.

Yes, seems they have owners clubs etc...

Particularly liked the video of the Sedona cruising over a hill and a defender taking a couple of attempts .....

Just seen the road tax prices !!! Bit steep..... But on the other hand, the insurance is cheaper than my jimny!!!

Problem is,they were voted tow car of the year,so you get all the caravan owners buying them.Some review i read said the kia sorrento should be badged 'rangerover' meant as a compliment.

We imported a large number of pajeros and didnt have one which came back for anything. Ive heard people talk about heads but in the years of selling, and maintaining quite a few of them we have never replaced a head.

Something like these, a terrano or a surf are cheap for service parts, and basic engines if they do go wrong.

Ive heard people talk about heads but in the years of selling, and maintaining quite a few of them we have never replaced a head.

Seems to be a mileage rather than age thing, 80k miles seems to be the point when they are likely to go. Don't get me wrong, I had one that didn't go...but I also had one that did.

I own a l200 and a range rover.. For out and out balls and grunt range rover wins hands down (4.2 v8)

For mpg, its the l200 obv.. Iv set the truck up for lamping. The rangey isn't reliable enough. (Its still on air, it sits on its **** all the time)

Iv had it offroad with the desert offroad guys, and it keeps up surprisingly well with the kitted out landys.

Only problem with the truck.. It's single cab so its tiny! Bigadam off here is about 8 foot tall, when he comes out lamping he has to crouch whilst seated.

Personnel opinion (hard hat time) I've had quite a lot of 4x4 s over the yrs and I would like to say the hilux surf i have at the moment wins :)

Over

Disco td5

Several terrano s and mavericks

Disco v6 52 plate

Grand Cherokee 52 plate 2nd spot till rear diff went 1k ouch.

Four tracks

Suzukis

Shoguns

Volvo xc70

Jag awd

No particular order....

Edited by delburt0

I'm in a similar situation but only have Max of £2000 to spend once I finally sell the fuel hungry Impreza.

It only needs to be able to cope with farm fields and farm tracks to get to shoots since will spend most of its life on he road but I like the idea of a diesel which I can run 50/50 on veg oil so its cheap to run as a everyday car. So far I have weeded it down to 4 choices but would appreciate advice on each.

Discovery 300Tdi

Terrano/Maverick SWB 2.7

Frontera Sport 2.8

Rav 4 5Dr

So basically cheap to buy, Cheap to run and not a handful on the road.

I'm in a similar situation but only have Max of £2000 to spend once I finally sell the fuel hungry Impreza.

It only needs to be able to cope with farm fields and farm tracks to get to shoots since will spend most of its life on he road but I like the idea of a diesel which I can run 50/50 on veg oil so its cheap to run as a everyday car. So far I have weeded it down to 4 choices but would appreciate advice on each.

Discovery 300Tdi

Terrano/Maverick SWB 2.7

Frontera Sport 2.8

Rav 4 5Dr

So basically cheap to buy, Cheap to run and not a handful on the road.

have had several 300 tdis and mavs terrano s only problem is they rot

If you can find one thats not rotten your on a decent 4x4

Terrano rear arches underneath + rear seatbelt anchor points , sills front wings .(inner wings in poor cases)

Discos as above but boot floors door edgings panel joints (usually cosmetic though)

Edited by delburt0