SHOOTING GLASSES

crossy 666

I have a pair of bolle wraparound glasses I got these from screw fix 9.99 better than any purpose made shooting glasses I have bought from shops before, they do about 4 different types with different coloured lenses :) and been made for the trade there hard as nails...I use these not only from a safety point of view but to having very sensitive eyes I need to wear glasses whilst driving etc as they tend to water quite easily :(

Edited by delburt0

Glasses should in my opinion be mandatory at all clubs!!

I personally use Pilla HiDefspex very costly but the range of different lenses and the quality is second to none.

They allow me to see the bird clearer and my pick up is much sooner also.

I have used all variety of glasses over the years from £3.99 safety glasses to my Hidefs and to be honest if its just for safety then any will do if you want to add the edge to your shooting then the answer is in the lense quality.

Try the topgun 5 lens set they retail about 30 quidish but should cover 95% of light conditions.

I agree that glasses should be mandatory (IMHO).

I have a mixture of sets having used Browning originally; I have now settled on Zeiss shooting glasses 1 with Ultra 2000 polarised (Drivewear®) lenses for those bright days and a pair with yellow lenses. For me that covers most situations. My wife has the same but hers have prescription lenses with the same colour combinations. :/

I have Oakley's they just need some air, glasses should be compulsory for shooters and spectators, for me the the 3 main reasons why are, shot in the face, flying clay pieces and falling shot. Clay bits are sharp when they hit you in face let alone what eye damage they could do.

Glasses should in my opinion be mandatory at all clubs!!

I personally use Pilla HiDefspex very costly but the range of different lenses and the quality is second to none.

They allow me to see the bird clearer and my pick up is much sooner also.

I have used all variety of glasses over the years from £3.99 safety glasses to my Hidefs and to be honest if its just for safety then any will do if you want to add the edge to your shooting then the answer is in the lense quality.

Try the topgun 5 lens set they retail about 30 quidish but should cover 95% of light conditions.

I agree that glasses should be mandatory (IMHO).

I have a mixture of sets having used Browning originally; I have now settled on Zeiss shooting glasses 1 with Ultra 2000 polarised (Drivewear®) lenses for those bright days and a pair with yellow lenses. For me that covers most situations. My wife has the same but hers have prescription lenses with the same colour combinations. :/

I'm new to shooting and was originally advised to wear glasses for safety reasons. This seems logical as, last week when shooting on one stand (sporting), I got a fair amount of broken bits falling onto me. This is now the reason I always wear a cap! However, I have never seen anyone, at the three grounds I've attended, wear shooting glasses :/ . This has the effect of making other people think "well if they not using them then I don't need too!" - social conformity at its best :rolleyes: .

Personally I purchased a pair on glasses with interchangeable lenses when I bought my gun. But these are terrible! I can't seem to hit anything with them! :no: The massive black nose support and wobbly fit make them useless. I've ordered a more expensive set of glasses called top gun elite but the manufacture is out of stock till the end of the month. Hopefully these will be better. I also want to wear glasses to try and correct cross eye dominance with some scotch tape on the opposite lens.

I have a pair of ESS glasses but really I really struggle wearing them esp as i need perscription glasses and that makes shooting glasses very expensive very quickly so i dont bother with safety glasses.

People shouldnt have to be told to use PPE, its there choice and if they get hurt then thats there own stupid fault, we cant wipe everyones bum for them and if they cant look after themselfs and percive hazards etc what are they doing with a shotgun in the first place.

I have a pair of ESS glasses but really I really struggle wearing them esp as i need perscription glasses and that makes shooting glasses very expensive very quickly so i dont bother with safety glasses.

People shouldnt have to be told to use PPE, its there choice and if they get hurt then thats there own stupid fault, we cant wipe everyones bum for them and if they cant look after themselfs and percive hazards etc what are they doing with a shotgun in the first place.

I know what you mean about the price on prescription glasses. Why don't you wear contacts and cheap safety glasses?

ESS glasses are cheap enough and good value for the money. I got the prescription lens holders and had them made up by Specs-By-Post. This added a few quid but not much. I would have preferred contacts and ESS glasses but found I was not able to wear the contacts.

I see shooters who won't wear ear defenders, eye protection or hats most weeks and say good luck to them but I think they are barmey to be honest. Deafness, blindness or even a cut head are not my idea of fun.

I have a pair of ESS Crossbow glasses. They have 3 lenses and I have the Supressor frames so they don't break the seal on my ear defenders. I find them very good and comfortable. The lenses don't fog up and they are ballistic protective. Check out the videos on youtube.

I also have 2 pairs of ESS Ice glasses for when my kids come shooting. These can be had very cheep on eBay as lots of ex military pairs are getting sold on.

I had a large piece of clay hit me in the forehead and cut my head. I think it would have burst an eye with the force it hit with.

Not worth taking the chance.

i wear prescription glasses, both my clear and sunglasses have the hardened coating on them, they don't offer the same level of protection as bespoke shooting eye protection so i always wear a cap to prevent clay's / shot that reigns down from slipping behind my glasses, and of course ear protection. The thing that amazes me is the number of shooters that use no ear protection. My glasses have been hit in the past by clay fragments and have stood up to the impact with no damage, after that happened i started wearing a cap, my glasses have never been hit since i started wearing a cap.

I'm not a Doctor, but it would be nice if one on this forum would verify this, My understanding is that Eye and Ear damage is pretty much irreversible.

In my humble opinion it should be mandatory for shooters to use eye and ear protection on all shoots.

Even when i'm sat in a Pigeon hide I've got my ear defenders on, there electronic one's so i can still listen to the radio. :good:

I'm not a clay shooter, so cannot comment in respect of clay shooting grounds but rifle ranges tend to have a mandatory requirement for ear protection (and increasingly, for eye protection, too). I started wearing ear plugs when I went clay shooting at the age of fourteen and was constantly ribbed for doing so. Many older shooters have compromised hearing; I'm glad that mine is still pretty good after 35 years of rifle, pistol and shotgun. As stated, most damage is irreversible so look after your yes and ears!

Think of em like condoms, better to wear them and not need them than need them and not wear them

Ive never worn a condom down the clay club before, ill give it a go next time im there. Any particular brand you recommend...

Ive got oakey's for shooting, a bit on the pricey side but i swear that you can actually see things more clearly with them on than off.

Hi SakoQuad,

I am in a simlar position, i have ESS glasses as issued to the millitary but i cant get on with contacts. Can you tell me more about how you got perscription inserts for your ESS glasses?

ATB

Matt

You need to get an insert and have prescription lenses fitted to them. I have the top gun glasses and managed to get prescription inserts fitted for under £15 including the free eye test from tesco