First pcp

Ttfjlc

Hi guys and gals I'm pretty certain this has been asked before but here goes anyway! I'm looking to get a pcp for the first time and was wondering what is available for up to £500? I don't mind second hand, must be carbine as that's what my eldest son has told me I must get! Done a bit of research and air arms seem to be popular oh and just to be clear calibre is NOT important :)

for me it would be the air arms s200 that would leave room in your budget for charging gear and scope. i have the older model and i am more than happy with the accuracy and reliability of the gun. i would recomend the multishot conversion for about 60-70 quid as an extra.

Have a look on www.gunstar.co.uk loads of PCPs on there.

Why a carbine ??. I do a lot of vermin control and I have 10 Rifles 3 x spring 7 x PCP.

And only one is a carbine BSA Super 10 bull barrel.

I prefer a full size Rifle has i find a full size barrel more accurate.

Have a look at Hatsan AT 44 and the BT 65 wooden stocks.

Daystate Huntsman. BSA R10 or super 10.

Air Arms S410 and 510. HW 100.

I like my Loguns. 1xpro 2xsolo very well made and very accurate.

The list is endless and then do you go for .177 or .22

I use .177 on feather and .22 on fur and rats.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

.177 will kill fur as well as feather, the old day of the lighter calibre having less power is as far back in history now as the Riley Elf is in car terms!

I used a .177 a few days ago, with a perfectly placed had shot it will drop a bunny as well as a .22!

I have a mix of pcp riles, I have .22 and .177. I have owned a fair few rifles as well before settling on what I have now.

Guns I would recommend!

1) BSA Super 10. Reliable, well built everything the R10 is not!

2) HW100, you can find mark 1 rifles around the £400 mark!

3) Daystate Mark 3 or X2. These fetch anything from about £350 upwards.

4) Theoben Rapid. You may pick up a scruffy one cheaply, we did, surface rust on barrel, broken stock, all easily fixed problems, needed a new buddy bottle O ring, but it still works!

5) Hatsan AT44 W10, great starter gun, buy new for under £350, comes with 2 magazines as well!

I do not like the Air Arms S200 (overgrown target pistol - literally, the gun is derived from a pistol), notorious power curve and you can problems with the magazine system! The BSA Ultra mark 1, I hate MMC cocking, it can lead to double loading.

.177 will kill fur as well as feather, the old day of the lighter calibre having less power is as far back in history now as the Riley Elf is in car terms!

I used a .177 a few days ago, with a perfectly placed had shot it will drop a bunny as well as a .22!

I have a mix of pcp riles, I have .22 and .177. I have owned a fair few rifles as well before settling on what I have now.

Guns I would recommend!

1) BSA Super 10. Reliable, well built everything the R10 is not!

2) HW100, you can find mark 1 rifles around the £400 mark!

3) Daystate Mark 3 or X2. These fetch anything from about £350 upwards.

4) Theoben Rapid. You may pick up a scruffy one cheaply, we did, surface rust on barrel, broken stock, all easily fixed problems, needed a new buddy bottle O ring, but it still works!

5) Hatsan AT44 W10, great starter gun, buy new for under £350, comes with 2 magazines as well!

I do not like the Air Arms S200 (overgrown target pistol - literally, the gun is derived from a pistol), notorious power curve and you can problems with the magazine system! The BSA Ultra mark 1, I hate MMC cocking, it can lead to double loading.

Can you elaborate on that, I'm a bit confused, any historical difference in energy delivey is very small but remains the same today as it ever was.

You have 12ft lb max for both at the muzzle, end of! :hmm::hmm:

In the olden days when things were made of wood and cost 2 and six, .177 rifles were not as powerful as .22s as the spring technology was not as advanced.

Which is why I said that in the days of the Riley Elf (1961-1969), .177s did not have the bunny bowling capability of the mighty .22 (.177 needs more power to deliver 12 ft lb than .22).

.177 was only recommended for feather in the days of yore due to the lighter power!

For £500 budget you can get a massive choice. Id be looking at something like the Air Arms S410 which someone else suggested. Ive had a carbine version for a number of years now and love it. The carbine version has a smaller air tank on it, a shorter barrel (if i remember rightly) and is therefore a bit lighter. Its usually preferred if you are going to be wandering about fields carrying the gun for a long time - or shooting from a vehicle (easier to move about inside the vehicle)

simple answer is for £500,buy a new s410 (Air Arms ) excellent rifle,reliable and most importantly has stood the test of time and you will not be disappointed,if that is not your choice then get a second hand Daystate Huntsman,but you will be very lucky to find one for £500 ,

I would honestly not look any further than a s410 IMO,,good luck with your choice ,,EVO

simple answer is for £500,buy a new s410 (Air Arms ) excellent rifle,reliable and most importantly has stood the test of time and you will not be disappointed,if that is not your choice then get a second hand Daystate Huntsman,but you will be very lucky to find one for £500 , I would honestly not look any further than a s410 IMO,,good luck with your choice ,,EVO

I totally agree with Evo!

As soon as I read your post the Air Arms S410 and Daystate Huntsman Classic immediately came to mind!

Both rifles are of superb quality and are extremely accurate!If you could pick up a secondhand Huntsman Classic in your budget then personally I would go with that otherwise the S410 is my second choice.

My preference is for .177 calibre in non FAC cos I like the flat shooting of this particular calibre.

ATB in whatever you choose.

Will have to sing in chorus with the others here !

I bought a AA s410 in .22 as my first pcp two years ago and i still have it and would never sell it !!

I find it ultra reliable and amazingly accurate.

Dont think you will go far wrong with a AA s410 got a proven track record aswell ..

I bought a AA s410 in .22 as my first pcp two years ago and i still have it and would never sell it !!

Dont think you will go far wrong with a AA s410 got a proven track record aswell ..

I sing in chorus with many others here !

I bought a AA s410 .22 two years ago for my first pcp and i still have it i would never sell it

Iwas told by the gun dealer it makes even the not so good shooters a good shot ! LOL ( but he was right)

With a proven track record aswell i dont think you would go far wrong with a S410.

If i had to replace mine i would only replace mine with a new s410.....

Thanks for all the advice people, plenty to choose from, must admit I'm leaning towards the s410 as it seems to tick all the boxes. Meant to say I was gutted over the weekend, found a 5 month old s410 for sale with 3l bottle for £500 guess what? It had sold! Wonder why!

With a shop you get a little bit more security, but don't discount the possibility of finding an epic bargain from private sales! A couple of years ago I picked up an immaculate Air Arms S510, decent mildot IR scope, case, pellets and footpump for £475. The gun looked like it had never been out of its box! so there are deals out there to be snapped up :). You just need to be careful. There are scammers out there for sure, but that's not any reason to forget them all. If you're looking at forums, sales feedback systems are a useful barometer of reliability, but just use common sense. If it's something like gunstar.co.uk go for face to face and, if you can, do a test fire.

Always get a gun's serial number from a person, then check it's genuine with the manufacturer. A photo of the gun together with the seller's name hand written on a piece of paper is also useful. Photos can be borrowed from the internet, so making sure the seller has the gun that's photographed is key. One chap on another forum attempting to scam had just nicked a random photo of the type of gun he was 'selling'. One eagle-eyed forum user spotted that it was just a random photo from Google images and it disappeared sharpish!

In general, you get more for your money with a private deal. Rule of thumb though? If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. There's no shame in asking for help on forums either! Check out the 'Daystate air wolf .22' thread, everyone pitched in with their thoughts, because we're nice like that!

all the best with the search -there are scammers out there, but the vast majority of sellers are genuine shooters wanting to pass on a gun that's surplus to requirements :)

Edited by chrisjpainter