My dog has been savaged

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today my dog is a bit sore but ok, not far off his usual self, the owner of the dog what attacked mine came today, on seeing my dog, he seemed really upset and genuinely sorry for his dogs behavior towards my dog, on watching his reaction, I was reasonably happy to believe him, he promised to keep it on a lead in public, he said he was looking on buying a muzzle for the dog, he said they have had the dog from a pup, it was a present for his son, I have told that If he does that its fine by me, if not I will have no hesitation on reporting the incident to the authorities.

He has allso said he will pay the full ammount of my vets bill, he said he cant afford it all at once, but will pay it in a couple of installments, told him I can live with that, because there is no way I am paying a penny towards it, the dog is back at the vets on tuesday, so will be at his house on tuesday evening to disscuss payment, on this agreement we shook hands and left it at that.

Now that my spanie is laid up for a bit, I can spend more time training my 11 month lab bitch

result then dave :good:

Get straight to the police.

No mate, gonna give him a chance to correct his dog, Ive had dogs all my life from being a kid, my dad had some of the best lurchers in Lancashire, and went on to judgesing a lot of lurcher shows, we have had our share with problem dogs, but you try to put the matter right, in my opinion Ive put the anger and red mist from friday night behind me, and will see if any good comes from it.

A few of you might disagree with my desision, but only time time will tell the outcome

Dave glad you feel this is sorted and you can put the matter behind you and as you said only time will tell, Well Dave if or should I say when this dog attacks other dogs or god forbid a child lets hope you are happy with the decision you have made, its quite obvious the owner of the dog had no control over it and I feel its down to you to report it to the right authorities before this happens again.

Dave i'm a dog owner and like yourself have had dogs all my life but I wouldn't let that stop me doing the right thing, yes I would feel sorry for the dog if it had to be put down but i'll feel devastated if a child got injured by this dog and I knew I could of stopped it or at least reported it .

No mate, gonna give him a chance to correct his dog, Ive had dogs all my life from being a kid, my dad had some of the best lurchers in Lancashire, and went on to judgesing a lot of lurcher shows, we have had our share with problem dogs, but you try to put the matter right, in my opinion Ive put the anger and red mist from friday night behind me, and will see if any good comes from it.

A few of you might disagree with my desision, but only time time will tell the outcome

Your choice at the end of the day but it sounds like you were more upset at vets bills rather than the attack. Guy comes round and says he'll pay your bill and your happy.

He's had the dog since it was a pup, it attacked another dog the previous week, it's now an adult he isn't going to sort the problem and a muzzle won't solve it. It's a dangerous animal, will you sleep well at night if you find out next week a little girl walking her new puppy got traumatized by this uncontrolled animal savaging it.

Sorry mate but you've made a selfish decision. For me he could keep his ****ing money and get the dog destroyed.

No mate, its not a selfish decision, Ive done my homework on this dog, he only lives in the next street, I can see the back of his house from my bedroom window, I have spoke to all of his neighbours, and not one person says a bad word against it, infact some of there kids have played with the dog on loads of occasions and never at any time has it been agressive towards any kid or any adult, I have spoken to the woman who has the Yorkshire Terrier, she said her dog sniffed at the dog, but couldnt remember which dog kicked off first, she said it happend that quick.

She says that she agrees with me, that at this moment in time, the dog deserves another chance, providing he keeps it under control, because if I thought for one minute that this dog was a danger to any human, then I would want it destroyed, he has said that he would 100% keep the dog under control in public, and I believe that he will do so.

So dont say Im selfish and happy just to get my money back, because believe me, thats not the case, on wieghing all facts up, Im gonna give the dog a second chance

You might want to write a detailed account of the attack, where it took place, exactly what happened, when the dog went to the vets, details given by the attcking dogs owner and get it signed by a friend and dated and as more things happen do the same for any additions. If your agreement falls apart, or you again see the dog without a muzzle, send a copy to the owner and advise that the following day a copy is being sent to the police.

Just a bit of insurance for your costs and anyone else's dog's health. How many owners always keep their dg on a lead?

Done it mate, logged it all, taken pictures of his injuries, before and after his visit to the vet, tell you lads, Im just glad Ive done it in a diplomatic way, because 20 year ago I would more than likely be locked up, for the action I would have taken.

No mate, its not a selfish decision, Ive done my homework on this dog, he only lives in the next street, I can see the back of his house from my bedroom window, I have spoke to all of his neighbours, and not one person says a bad word against it, infact some of there kids have played with the dog on loads of occasions and never at any time has it been agressive towards any kid or any adult, I have spoken to the woman who has the Yorkshire Terrier, she said her dog sniffed at the dog, but couldnt remember which dog kicked off first, she said it happend that quick.

She says that she agrees with me, that at this moment in time, the dog deserves another chance, providing he keeps it under control, because if I thought for one minute that this dog was a danger to any human, then I would want it destroyed, he has said that he would 100% keep the dog under control in public, and I believe that he will do so.

So dont say Im selfish and happy just to get my money back, because believe me, thats not the case, on wieghing all facts up, Im gonna give the dog a second chance

You are selfish, you haven't taken the diplomatic approach you've taken the irresponsible approach, or have I misinterpreted your initial post and your dog wasn't mauled as bad as you say. Got any pics? You haven't weighed up the facts you've weighed up the money in your pocket against the hassle of having this dealt with properly.

Look mate, youve got your opinion, Ive got mine, and why should I put pictures of my injured dog up, just to prove a point to you, I allways thought word of mouth was good enough, must not be in your opinion, your comment about the money, have to admit, that made laugh mate honestly, but at the end of the day its a forum, and everybody is entitled to there opinion, selfish and irresponsible that made laugh aswell, end off

Simple answer is the dog has been in a fight, if it was a pit bull the dog wouldn't have survived or the bill would be thousands. So you have a dog that has taken a dislike to yours and it happens. The owner has done the responsible thing and I would guess will keep a closer eye on it next time.

The police might react if you call it a pit bull but otherwise won't want to know because it happens and didn't involve a bite to a person.

I'm not sure how much interest the police would take in a dog fight,also it would be a civil matter to get your vet bill paid by him.

As I said in my first post the old bill are only interested if a person has been bitten then it would be followed up.

You have done what you think is best and its your problem and its up to you how you deal with it, me personally I would tell them it bit me and if he doesn't muzzle it and it bites someone it's curtains for the dog.

Glad your dog is OK.

Dog fighting men used to use "breaking sticks" to pry the jaws. Apparently effective, even when the jaws were locked.

Just watched a couple of videos of breaking sticks being used. They seem to work very well.

Worth watching, MAYBE I could find something to hand that could be used in a similar manner if the need arose.

Edited by otherwayup

Just out of interest, is there any dead certain way of sorting a pit bull? The pulling the legs apart thing is supposed to be a myth.

Apart from looking for "a tool" (something sharp or heavy nearby) what is the advice?

Terrier boys use bottles of water, if the dog latches on just squirt it down nostril or mouth until it lets go. What happens after that is another matter.

Was out at 10 oclock last night walking my spaniel, when a pitbull like dog ran over and laid into my dog, swear to god it took 10 minutes to get it off him, with about 10 full body kicks from me, tell you I was absolutely blazing, the owner said that the dog was a friendly normally a friendly dog, I just wanted to bang him in the mouth, but that wouldnt solve anything, it were a nightmare.

Took him to the vets this morning, he had teeth marks to his neck and shoulder, and part of his ear has been ripped, at this moment in time he is at the vets under anestetic haveing his ear stitched up, got to go and pick him up in an hour, tell you lads Im livid, and my anger is at boiling point. I have been to the owners house 3 times today, but theres nobody in, I have been informed today that the same dog savaged a Yorkshire Terrier last week.

There is no way Im paying the vet bill, going to give it to the dogs owner as soon as I catch up with him, in my opinion this dog is dangerous.

yes your right.. you should not pay the bill, if you have insurance contact them and give the blokes address to them.. i would also contact the police and say what happened saying to them that the dog is a danger to the public.