just how common are ravens?

bikemad24

out shooting around the farm today and a few of the crows looked alot bigger than there mates. i put a rabbit i shot in the morning at the bottom of a field and built a hide but decided only to shoot magpies as i could not tell if the crows were ravens.

I'm near the south coast so there are lots of nesting places along the chalk cliffs. When I was a kid I would never see them anywhere around here but recently I'm seeing more and more. In fact on Friday I took the dog for a walk along the cliffs and spend a happy half hour watching ravens and a pair of peregrins that are nesting there.

We have a lot of them here in Shetland, there has been a huge increase in numbers over the last 10 years. They have never been much of a problem till lately, I suppose growing numbers mean more bellies to fill. A farmer near me has just been granted a license to shoot ravens as he has just lost two calves to ravens. Beautiful bird and extremely clever but its the same as anything else they can become a problem when the numbers get too high. One morning last season I was sitting on the edge of a barley stubble waiting for mallard and between first light and when fowl started moving I counted 367 ravens that were coming out of the cliffs and heading east over the top of me, the were still passing over me once I started shooting but I lost count.

Loads around mid Wales,far to many 1 farmer i was talking to the other week from Caersws nr Newtown had lost over 70 lambs this year.

Easy to tell difference fully grown one's larger than Carrions and rooks,Diamond shape tail as man on earlier post said. Call is a lot different to,carrion caw caw, raven more of a kak kak way the fly also more swooping followed by kak kak,spot them miles off,then iv'e seen plenty of them. To a new shooter must be hard to tell,so don't shoot crows until you can tell the difference or you might find your licence gone as they are protected. :good: