best .22? .17?

ride4fun

hello got my firearms cert comming through and dont know huge amounts about rifles.

a local gun shop sells the:

cz 452 varmint in both .17 and .22 for £350 ish

and also a browning (x bolt i think) in .22 and .17 for £500 ish

basically what im asking is

1. is the extra money worth it?

2. what other make and models would also be worth looking at?

3. in your opinion if you had the money to buy a .22 and a .17 out of all the guns up to the £700 mark which ones would you get? im after one .17 and one .22

thank you for your help ant

Hi buddy.Just got myself a new 22.Did loads of homework and tried out loads of rifles.I ended up with a CZ varmint 16 inch barrel.I liked the idea of a CZ 455 that has the option of switching barrels.But after speaking to guys that really know their guns two rifles would be better.I actually preferred the fit and feel of my rifle over the Anschutz I tried.I liked the fit of the browning but it felt cheap to me.They all work though!CZ get my vote!T

I had the same rifles a .17 and a .22lr both cz455 versions as my first guns but after a very short time you will favour one over the other...the 22lr has the benefit of subsonic rounds (most popular) which means its very very quiet with a moderator fitted but its range is limited and the ricochet can be a pain due to bullet weight as it does not break up on impact, but is less effected by the wind than the 17., the 17 is louder as its supersonic ( though it still takes out groups of bunnys without scaring the rest in after the first shot) also richochet is very low due to bullet design though it still occurs accasionally the 17s range is much better than the 22 and i personally think its accuracy is greater if windage is taken into account on the longer shots, I personally used the 17 so much more that i traded the 22 in against a fac 12 gauge semi auto as the 22 lived in the cabinet, the only time the 22 got used was lamping from a 4x4 with close up shots (if using for lamping go for a short barrel)

If i were you then go for the cz455 hmr as first gun (dont buy both at the same time as i did) The cz455 has got thumbhole stock varmint barrel is very sturdy and nice to use...you might find that the 22 money will stay in your pocket or go towards extra hmr amo and a nice scope...i use a viper 56mm 8-24 mag with sniper turrets you can download ballistics apps that work very very well with this set up

As for barrel lengths short for out of vehical windows longer for stalking/sniping the extra barrel length give a little more power and accuracy but can be a hindrance inside a motor..

Hope this helps you out

ps At some point cz will import the barrels the cz455 is a interchanable barrel version so you might just need to buy a 22 barrel at a later date

Martin

Edited by sirgoldalot

We could go on debating all day the relative merits of all the rimfire manufacturers.

The simple fact is that the important things like accuracy and reliability are common to just about all of them, so buy what you like.

A Browning, Sako, Anschutz, whatever will not hit more bunnies just because you spend more money!

CZ wins for so many because they provide a vast selection of models for field use, that shoot straight are reliable and are competitively priced.

Some like Heavy (varmint) barrels, I don't and find they are counter productive for "ME" in the field, think about what you want to do with it and how long you will be carrying it!

Then buy the CZ you want, NOT the only/first one a RFD has in stock! :yes::good:

I think the answer is pretty simple; no, the extra money is not worth it.

The CZ 452 is right up there as one of the most solidly built, reliable, accurate rimfires around. Literally the only gripe anybody seems to have with this rifle is the safety which is operated the opposite of almost every firearm out there (it is a pain). The CZ could compete at bench rest comps so I don't see what you'd be gaining for the extra £150 for the browning. If it were my money, I'd get one CZ plus a sling, bipod, slip, moderator, cleaning kit and a wide range of ammo to test. Then I'd plonk a bit of money on a second hand leupold scope or even a new nikko or AGS scope if money is tight. As far as the .17, it makes sense to keep the platform the same so that you become totally accustomed to one rifle. I'd say start with the .22 though, learn some field craft and marksmanship quietly and cheaply then if you find you just can't (be bothered to) get within 100yds of the rabbits, get the .17 (the lazy man's rimfire) :D .

I'd personally be on the pigeonwatch classifieds looking for a second hand 452 though, because I'm a skin flint and women and cars are more expensive. I'm certainly glad that there are good folks like yourself buying new stuff though. :)

Edited by sterling

just to be different,i had a cz 452 hmr,bought an anschutz 1417.22,sold the cz as the annie oozed quality and felt better for me,then bought anschutz 1517 hmr but found i hardly ever took it out the cabinet as the first gun i reached for was the .22 every time.Have now sold the 1517 hmr as it wasnt getting used and have bought another anschutz 1417 .22 for dedicated nightvision use.Theres nothing wrong with czs its what feels right for you when you pick the gun up and shoulder it and in my case that was anschutz,but i would say get the .22 first and as has been said learn some fieldcraft,its a great feeling knowing you have stalked up on a rabbit from 150yds to 60 or 70yds or at whatever range your comfortable and confident you can kill the animal cleanly,also with practice and the right scope 100 yds plus shots are quite possible with a .22.At the end of the day its what suits and feels best for YOU

atb and good luck

dave

Once again thanks for the replys, i will definatly get the cz, i suppose it makes sence, its what i currently shoot with at the moment anyway so i am fairly used to it. And you have answed my question as to is the extra money worth it, and looks like it isnt :)

Cheers ant