N.Ireland.Do you really love us.

Big Marty

Hi folks had a bit of a debate if you like with a man at work tonight,,The conversation came round ( don't remember how )to N. Ireland remaining part of the UK or being part of a all Ireland. This chap was saying that he would love to see Ireland united in his life time, which is something he is intitled to believe in. Now I come from what could be called a Republican part of the North and maybe I should hold the same view but I think if N.Ireland was to leave the U.K it would be a disaster. The South of Ireland can't look after themselves never mind us.This man finished his argument with sure the English people don't want us anyway,, And I guess what Iam asking is if it was down to the normal everyday English folk to dicide would you cut N.Ireland loose.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Walshie, but its up to the people of NI. A nation's destiny should be a matter only for the people of that nation, not friends, neighbours or opinionated onlookers. (Take note please USA).

If NI, or Scotland for that matter, choose to leave the Union that decision should be made by them and them alone, not for them by other people.

I would like the UK to leave the EU but I could never accept the rest of the EU, or anyone else (take note again please USA) having a say in the matter. If they did, we would effectively be living under colonial rule, and I should imagine the people of NI (and Scotland) would feel the same if the the rest of the UK were allowed to dictate the question of secession/re-unification.

I think there would be such a rumpas if that were to come about there would be more blood shed. I'm in Derry now and there is still an incredible display of sectarianism. The amount of money being spent on security is huge. Armed police all over the place because of the threat from a few extremists. The economic argument is probably true, but people have to live with their decisions. Same thing applies to independence for Scotland and Wales, I'm not sure they realise how much they depend on UK taxes.

Its a difficult one for me as I firmly believe that the whole of the UK, including N Ireland is better together and would not want to see the Union dissolved.
That being said, I am a passionate hater of the EU and its effect on our country and would dearly like to see it break up.

I cannot preach on the one hand that being together is the best thing for the UK and we should fight to stay together whilst advocating the EU is the worst thing and we should fight to get out.

If the vote goes for the break up of the UK then I will have to accept that but it will sadden me.

Personally a united UK out of the EU is my dream.

I think there would be such a rumpas if that were to come about there would be more blood shed. I'm in Derry now and there is still an incredible display of sectarianism. The amount of money being spent on security is huge. Armed police all over the place because of the threat from a few extremists. The economic argument is probably true, but people have to live with their decisions. Same thing applies to independence for Scotland and Wales, I'm not sure they realise how much they depend on UK taxes.

This is my point, a very good friend of mine married a girl from Co. Meath and lives there now. He tells me horror stories of trips to the Doctors costing £100 if you need pills and just general crazy expensive cost of living. My opinion is we live in a beautiful part of the world, which has a lot of genuine honest people yes we do have our differences but the wife and I have differences doesn't mean I want to kill her ( WELL NOT ALL THE TIME ) lets agree to disagree and get on with the important things in life.Iam sure but there are some English people that think that there country would be better off without us.

As I see it England Scotland and Wales are on one Island and it makes sense to me that they should for most part be regarded on one country GB to me the same thinking would apply to the two parts of Ireland having said that one could make a good case for saying that having joined the two parts of Ireland together they should join us and be part of the British Isles if that makes sense but in reality I do not think that this will ever happen so we are stuck with the status quo so we should make the best of it.

I don't feel I want rid of NI but I do feel Ireland should be one country.

I most definitely think blood should not be shed either way. That part of the "debate" is just complete madness.

As for Scotland, I think it should stay as part of the UK.

They can please themselves on that one, no point them staying if they don't want to. I still think it will be bad for Scotland and the UK as a whole if they go.

A tough one. I love the Irish people, North and South and from both traditions. My son was born there (the North), I spent a lot of time in uniform there and still have a lot of friends there. I would dearly love for Northern Ireland to stay part of the union and most people I know feel the same way. However, it's not for me or people in England, Scotland or Wales to decide. It's for the people who live there. If they choose to leave the union and join the Republic, I think it will be a sad day, but ultimately, it's none of my business. I think I'm right in saying though Marty, that a majority of those in NI, including many 'nationalists' would still rather remain in the UK, for now at least?

Northern Ireland/Ulster is part of the United Kingdom and should stay as part of it. A united Ireland is a no no if only for the reason Big Marty said.The South is broke n cannot sustain us. I dont care if you are green or blue the Minority in Norn Iron are ruining a good country for everybody and feathering their own nests.

Northern Ireland/Ulster is part of the United Kingdom and should stay as part of it. A united Ireland is a no no if only for the reason Big Marty said.The South is broke n cannot sustain us. I dont care if you are green or blue the Minority in Norn Iron are ruining a good country for everybody and feathering their own nests.

i agree I think you have to look beyond religion and colours and think what is best for me and my family. Now I have talked to people and there saying Ulster is British and that's that but don't know why, and also the men that say Brits out but can't grasp the argument that were would we be if we were united in the Morning. We are doing ok apart from the odd one or two that have no place in any society.

As I see it England Scotland and Wales are on one Island and it makes sense to me that they should for most part be regarded on one country GB to me the same thinking would apply to the two parts of Ireland having said that one could make a good case for saying that having joined the two parts of Ireland together they should join us and be part of the British Isles if that makes sense but in reality I do not think that this will ever happen so we are stuck with the status quo so we should make the best of it.

The republic of Ireland and Ulster are in fact part of the British Isles . Yes we all are British . British doesn't necessarily mean English ,Scottish or Welsh Many Irish republicans would frown on being called British , but it is a fact . Ulster should remain part of

the UK.

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

i had an argument with a chap who knows you well marty, another cargin man..he said catholics were treated worse than the jews,i laughed at him...... ask yourself one question??? where would the republic of ireland be if britain was nt there???? ok to take the benefits she provides when it suits.....

most countries taken by britain have prospered over history...ireland had to jump into europe and a lifetimes debt to improve itself.... i used to love workin down south now its worse than up here...i`m all for staying in the uk and i reckon a lot of folk from the catholic side are too...

As much as i think that Britain should remain as it is,i can see the point of countries wanting to go it alone ,a sense of identity on the world stage,and making your own laws,but it makes sense for us to band together as a collective for the good off all our countries.

Ultimately it would be for the people to vote for separation,the Welsh assembly keep trying to push this agenda,but i think that politicians have their own agenda and not necessarily the country that they serve interests at heart.

If NI left the union,we would still be neighbours,and could pop over for a cup of tea. :good:

Better for everyone if we stay British. I reckon even Mc Guiness and Kelly et al know what side the breads buttered on! The South have nothing only a faltering tourist industry, the Celtic tiger was built on EU hand outs propping up a building industry that was building for the sake of building, they had no one to sell to only big corporations who were getting subsidised for running loss making businesses there.