N.Ireland.Do you really love us.

Big Marty

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationalists and Republicans are not necessarily Catholics tweedledee. The reunifcaton of Ireland would be a fantastic thing to see. If it were to happen tomorrow, it would be an opportunity for the people of now to lay down solid foundatons for future generations who could enjoy the whole country as it should be. Unified and peaceful.

Hi folks had a bit of a debate if you like with a man at work tonight,,The conversation came round ( don't remember how )to N. Ireland remaining part of the UK or being part of a all Ireland. This chap was saying that he would love to see Ireland united in his life time, which is something he is intitled to believe in. Now I come from what could be called a Republican part of the North and maybe I should hold the same view but I think if N.Ireland was to leave the U.K it would be a disaster. The South of Ireland can't look after themselves never mind us.This man finished his argument with sure the English people don't want us anyway,, And I guess what Iam asking is if it was down to the normal everyday English folk to dicide would you cut N.Ireland loose.

I find it sad that you only asked the english, it seems a common misconception that the uk is only peopled by the english have the welsh and the scots no opinion in this ,seem to remember the start of the troubles the cry in NI was english out ,then as there where Scottish and welsh soldiers there it was changed to brits out so really you should know better..... ,just a rant as i am fed up being refered to as english,

johnnie

just an edit to say the wife is english and so is my dug.

Edited by AULD YIN

Nationalists and Republicans are not necessarily Catholics tweedledee. The reunifcaton of Ireland would be a fantastic thing to see. If it were to happen tomorrow, it would be an opportunity for the people of now to lay down solid foundatons for future generations who could enjoy the whole country as it should be. Unified and peaceful.

dancake if the reunifcation happend tomorrow it wouldnt be a fantastic thing to see it would be a total bloodbath sad but true FACT

I find it sad that you only asked the english, it seems a common misconception that the uk is only peopled by the english have the welsh and the scots no opinion in this ,seem to remember the start of the troubles the cry in NI was english out ,then as there where Scottish and welsh soldiers there it was changed to brits out so really you should know better..... ,just a rant as i am fed up being refered to as english,

johnnie

just an edit to say the wife is english and so is my dug.

no no I didn't mean that what I said was the chap I spoke to said THE ENGLISH DON'T WANT US.

i know what your saying and that's the way I was raised to, but I am thinking of my lads all teenagers and were they would be if it did happen. That's if they were here at all as it would be a Blood bath and no mistake.

Out of interest do you think that it should be for the whole of Ireland to decide or just NI (in the first instance at least)? I mean we didn't give the Argies a chance to vote in the Falklands referendum did we?

I was in Ireland for two years in 86 ,would have been for nothing and a friend got killed

Loss of life sad surely but a lot of Deaths on all sides. NOT trying to get at you but as a teenager we were made into play things by not all but some British Soldiers, who thought it was funny to pull a mother and family out of a car in the rain and pull the car apart and then drive off laughing. That's part of the reason so many young lads over here joined the IRA because the way they were treated. Francis Hughes( 1 of the Hunger Strikers ) who's family I know very well was Humiliated in front of his girlfriend,were he was made strip and dance Thats Fact he Only joined up after being beaten on a few occasions. So if we didn't united we could say it was all. For nothing but we can't live in the past we have to move on, and I really think at the minute we are safer were we are.

Loss of life sad surely but a lot of Deaths on all sides. NOT trying to get at you but as a teenager we were made into play things by not all but some British Soldiers, who thought it was funny to pull a mother and family out of a car in the rain and pull the car apart and then drive off laughing. That's part of the reason so many young lads over here joined the IRA because the way they were treated. Francis Hughes( 1 of the Hunger Strikers ) who's family I know very well was Humiliated in front of his girlfriend,were he was made strip and dance Thats Fact he Only joined up after being beaten on a few occasions. So if we didn't united we could say it was all. For nothing but we can't live in the past we have to move on, and I really think at the minute we are safer were we are.

big marty how does his family feel now do they see his suicide as a waste of his life as the group he once was involved in ( ira) has now surrendered and went away gave up their weapons , his army council leaders now sit in goverment with the enemy as francis would of seen them as, they also stand shoulder to shoulder with the psni/ruc they have also met the queen n.ireland is still part of the uk, they call the dissidents who attack the army.police as traitors to ireland, evrything francis would of been agaisnt this isnt a sly dig just a genuine question do his family feel his former comrades/leaders have beytrayed him and everything francis did as u well know he was a leading active figure in the provos when he was alive

Edited by monkeyboots

You are starting to dig a very large hole here Marty.

What about all of the innocent people who were unarmed that the ira shot dead in Tullyvallen orange hall beside me!! Walked in with ak47's and opened fire on people who went out for a dance in their local hall!! The omagh bomb!!??

Shall I go on and mention all of the rest of the cowardly acts the ira carried out??

I think you are trying to stirr up trouble on this forum with British citizens of Ulster.

We dont want to hear what our soldiers are supposed to have done!

They served a vital role in protecting our country so long reign the Queen!!

Marty, no harm to you, this notion that young lads, from whatever side of the community, were forced by circumstances to join paramilitaries to protect there own, that they were all "victims" of the situation doesn't hold water. In black and white, they made the choice to become murderers. Paramilitaries on both sides, terrorized there own communities just as much as they terrorized the opposing community............... all while they lined their own pockets. There was a hell of a lots of young lads grew up, on both sides who witnessed things a damn sight worse than humiliation and didn't get involved.

You are starting to dig a very large hole here Marty.

What about all of the innocent people who were unarmed that the ira shot dead in Tullyvallen orange hall beside me!! Walked in with ak47's and opened fire on people who went out for a dance in their local hall!! The omagh bomb!!??

Shall I go on and mention all of the rest of the cowardly acts the ira carried out??

I think you are trying to stirr up trouble on this forum with British citizens of Ulster.

We dont want to hear what our soldiers are supposed to have done!

They served a vital role in protecting our country so long reign the Queen!!

look lads all I was trying to say was we could kick this about all day and get nowhere. I can say one thing and you can say another and we will both be In the right.All I want for me and my family is to get on with my life and my neighbour no matter his religion or past. That's all I am trying to say,things that we went through as lads Iam sure use could come back with equal experiences but that gets us nowere. This about what our soldiers are suppose have done its not a suppose its a fact, but I also knew Prodestant lads that got the same treatment. And if you had looked at my original post you would see that my option is that WE should stay in the UK. If I was trying to stir up trouble I would say different.again as I said we all should bury the past and look forward as we really can work together when it counts so let's put this into every living. Iam really sorry if I offend anyone never was my intention.

Marty, no harm to you, this notion that young lads, from whatever side of the community, were forced by circumstances to join paramilitaries to protect there own, that they were all "victims" of the situation doesn't hold water. In black and white, they made the choice to become murderers. Paramilitaries on both sides, terrorized there own communities just as much as they terrorized the opposing community............... all while they lined their own pockets. There was a hell of a lots of young lads grew up, on both sides who witnessed things a damn sight worse than humiliation and didn't get involved.

yeap good point.

big marty how does his family feel now do they see his suicide as a waste of his life as the group he once was involved in ( ira) has now surrendered and went away gave up their weapons , his army council leaders now sit in goverment with the enemy as francis would of seen them as, they also stand shoulder to shoulder with the psni/ruc they have also met the queen n.ireland is still part of the uk, they call the dissidents who attack the army.police as traitors to ireland, evrything francis would of been agaisnt this isnt a sly dig just a genuine question do his family feel his former comrades/leaders have beytrayed him and everything francis did as u well know he was a leading active figure in the provos when he was alive

His father up until the day he died said that his son had been betrayed by his former comrades, but although Francis belived in what he stood for Killing people was not the answer to our problems, and maybe if he had still of been here he would of agreed.my best friend in the world is a Prodestant fellow who couldn't come from a more different back ground than me if we had tried. He has his views and I have mine and just because they don't match up doesn't make us any less mates. We actually give each other a bit of stick about it. I Would trust him with my life and I know he thinks the same of me, as for some of my so called " own side " I wouldn't trust them with a 10p Mix up.

His father up until the day he died said that his son had been betrayed by his former comrades, but although Francis belived in what he stood for Killing people was not the answer to our problems, and maybe if he had still of been here he would of agreed.my best friend in the world is a Prodestant fellow who couldn't come from a more different back ground than me if we had tried. He has his views and I have mine and just because they don't match up doesn't make us any less mates. We actually give each other a bit of stick about it. I Would trust him with my life and I know he thinks the same of me, as for some of my so called " own side " I wouldn't trust them with a 10p Mix up.

And that's the way it should be. :good:

Unfortunately the outside world only see's the muppets and extremists in the headlines, and draw their conclusions from that.

i for one would nt vote for united ireland.... ptotestantism has dwindled in the free state,its being watered down now as we speak so i`ll take my chances under uk rule..... times are changing i just want to keep my head down and get on with my life,i bother no one and i expect the same in return....

From my own experience, I'd say most of the people I've met (and spoken to about it to) are pretty positive about NI, and value it as a rich part of the UK.

Heck, NI makes us the 'UK' - check your passports. We're the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". :)

From my own experience, I'd say most of the people I've met (and spoken to about it to) are pretty positive about NI, and value it as a rich part of the UK.

Heck, NI makes us the 'UK' - check your passports. We're the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". :)

Doesn't say it on my passport :whistling: Shotgun Jimmy we have people on here who for once are expressing opinions without trying to cause offence. Please respect this and relax your tone a little.

Edited by Dancake

Not really sure what you mean everyone welcome to make there feelings known.

Not a dig at anyone Marty, just you get a lot of people read but dont comment then you get your regular opinionated posters as well as your casual poster.

If someone liked an opinion but didnt want to get involved it would help show which way the wind was really blowing.

Ps...I have already posted what I think earlier in the thread