.243 rifle and mod recommendations

walt1980

Put in for variation for .243, mainly be used for munties and fox, was looking at a remmie 700 sps dm or tikka t3 lite?? Or any others?? Prefer lightish weight, also advice on a mod? T8 seems popular? Want quiet without another mortgage. Looking at £1200 for the pair tops!

Edited by walt1980

I have a remington 700 and a tikka T3 lite, if I was going for another centerfire rifle I wouldn't hesitate on getting another T3 lite. I paid £ 700 for the rifle and £280 for an ASE utra moderator. If you want a light gun the T3 lite fits the bill IMO.

I run Tikkas and Rem 700.

Get either, my choice would be Tikka, for one reason only, the magazine/floor plate, much prefer magazines.

T8, :hmm: consider the Stainless version, but better to consider a Predator 8 COMPACT for a .243 in my opinion.

:good:

I've just put my money down on a Howa package (2nd hand) and saw in the shop a pretty good offer (Gun, bipod, moderator, rings and NS scope for about £900). If you like the Houge stock it could be worth a look.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Howa_Rifle_Stealth-Hunter_For-Sale_130523164251001

They also had it in .243

I have a Remington 770 in .243 they get a good write up as a rifle for casual use rather than professional.

have a look and save some money http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Remington_Rifle_770_For-Sale_121126145346030

So, what are your opinions as an owner?

Why don't these fly off the shelf, they have been around a few years and seem excellent VFM!

there is that and its flush, that howa mag would get right on my chesticles hanging down that far, its why a mate went with the 3 round mag on his T3 so it was closer to flush. In that price bracket its a hard one I've owned a 700 for 5 years in .223 and that did everything you could want no issues at all, a mate has a T3 super varmint I've used and that shoots well but I wouldn't want one for a stalking rifle as it is far too heavy. The T3 is a reasonable option but like the one I use it is very plastic some call it functional but I just like to call it cheaply manufactured and it feels like it but its not mega money so you take your choices. The only ones I haven't used are the A bolt and X Bolt which might be worth a look, and really that is what you need to do get along to a well stocked shop or two and try some and see what you think.

So, what are your opinions as an owner?

Why don't these fly off the shelf, they have been around a few years and seem excellent VFM!

The rem 770 is a great rifle as far as I`m concerned, It only gets light use with me but every time I take it out of the cabinet the rounds hit where I aim, I`ve had best success with home loads where I have put three in an inch circle at one hundred yds.

I had to laugh at a write up a while ago where the biggest complaint was the square trigger guard which was described as being ugly?

apart from that it was/is a very usable rifle, I have no complaints about the 770 and won`t be getting rid of it.

Why don't they fly off the shelves? I can`t understand why they are not more popular, they are possibly too cheap, I`m not a rifle expert, I have a CZ452 .22lr and the 770, they both get light use, but for what I do I can only recommend them.

I have a tikka hunter 243 and a atec maxim moderator, good light combination and within your budget.

How do you get on with the Hunter? I'm in a similar position with slots for .243 and .308 and really like the look of the Hunter. I wasn't too impressed with the feel of the plastic stocks and prefer the solid feel of the wood. It will however be a tool not a show gun so not too fussed on dents etc. I also like the price.

How do you get on with the Hunter? I'm in a similar position with slots for .243 and .308 and really like the look of the Hunter. I wasn't too impressed with the feel of the plastic stocks and prefer the solid feel of the wood. It will however be a tool not a show gun so not too fussed on dents etc. I also like the price.

Each to their own, I run the T3 Lite in .223 and Hunter in .243, the Hunter wins every time for me................

post-20848-0-84222600-1369944285_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dekers

T3 hunter in .243 is superb, solid, very positive and shoots very well. Grouping is great, likes expensive brass best,,,,, I set mine up with a PES mod in stainless, but like all things in life, best to try it if you can before you buy to make sure the gun is right for you.