Worming pheasants

Depends on factors. New pen or old, pen history of disease, bio security levels.

Gape worm multiply fastest at 3 weeks do belt and braces is week 3,6,9 etc until onto wheat.

What to use? Flubenvet, only licensed medication (try justifying something else in the middle of the horse meat scandal) and kills all worm species. Others don't and worms you can't see build up. The UK weather changing has altered the species of worms that challenge over the last 3-4 years do this becomes more important.

I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry and discussed worming with a lot of keepers, vets, mills as well as chicken farmers and my answers based on experience there.

The easiest way is to use a compound pellet containing Flubenvet. All game feed suppliers will make it up for you.

The difficulty starts when you stop feeding pellets and switch onto wheat. The easiest way is to use Panacure on the wheat and trail feed the medicated wheat rather than putting in hoppers as using it in the water is difficult when the birds are out and about drinking from natural sources.

Remember withdrawal times and work your dates out backwards from when you intend to start shooting.

The recommended Panacure dosage rate is ............Panacure 2.5% at 100 ml per 100 ltr water.

Forgot to say that you should worm every 3 weeks. Meaning that with Flubenvet which is fed for a week you would worm again 3 weeks after completion of the previous course.

Edited by CharlieT

Regular worming is very important. For released bought-in pheasant poults I used Flubenvet in feed at about 11 weeks of age on average and then Panacur (under prescription for off label use) manually mixed on feed thereafter, as and when any infestation with gapeworms was noticed.

I have also used water soluble wormer (Panacur equivalent) on prescription and I was suitably impressed.

As stated above, always be very careful to ensure you comply with withdrawl periods for any medication.