gun cabinet alarms

dob

just had my local firearms officer round in relation to my fac application , due to number of shotguns i have he wants me to get alrms that go inside the cabinets and go off if the cabinet in hit i.e with a hammer or crow bar if someone is trying to get them off the wall, apperently they are set off by vibration, has anyone seen or got these if so where can i get them from cos i having no joy,

I think I'd positively follow through if I forgot to dis arm it and set it off by accident. Would possibly follow with a cracked skull broken arm and fecial deposits. I'd bang my head fall over and you can guess the rest.

I cant see them making this mandatory.

just had my local firearms officer round in relation to my fac application , due to number of shotguns i have he wants me to get alrms that go inside the cabinets and go off if the cabinet in hit i.e with a hammer or crow bar if someone is trying to get them off the wall, apperently they are set off by vibration, has anyone seen or got these if so where can i get them from cos i having no joy,

I may well be wrong but he's talking out of his aerosol.

Both my cabinets are lined and have the bank vault type doors, any alarm fitted inside one would be sufficiently muffled as to be next to useless. Unless it's linked to a monitored alarm system it's a complete waste of time.

fair comment , i was a bit bemused when he said i dont need a proper house alarm but one of these in each cabinet ,but he the man so if it means he happy and will grant my fac then so be it . i was going to drill holes in the sides of cbinets and run a wire through trigger guards with padlocks but he not impressed .

he said because i have 10 shotguns i dont need an alarm of any kind but its standard procedure to have an alarm fitted if i want to have a rifle in the house aswell that would make it 11 weapons, does that mean i will have a flashing light appear over my house saying i got lots of guns come and try to break in , surely 1 firearm or 11 there should be a policy of ( you want a weapon in your house get an alarm ) . are all county firearm depts the same ?

i may just stick a photo of the mother in law on the front of my cabinets , she would scare the living bejesus out of anyone and they would get out through the catflap if it meant getting out of my house asap :yes:

Ask him if would be OK to keep a guard dog in there that should deter any thieves.

Obviously you would need to keep food and water in there. Sorry for the silly answer :no::no: water in with guns is not a good idea, maybe you could fit one of those drinking bottles to the outside and feed the tube through a small hole.

Coat on and going for a beer :drinks:

I think you both said the same thing :-)

Talking of making the rules up as they go along..........they should be taking house security, neighbourhood and type of firearms into consideration before insisting on a blanket alarm policy.

Still, it's cheaper for me as it keeps numbers down!

Edited by Livefast123

A bit of a bizarre request, in my experience the sound of hammering and smashing to get into a cabinet would drown out an alarm inside a cabinet. In my opinion he should be more concerned about the other levels of security if he feels that there are reasons that make a gun cabinet insufficient as a minimum level of security.

Have a look at the ACPO Guidelines https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf

• 6 years later...