Series 2A Refurb project.

demonwolf444

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts of them may be able to be salvaged, once cleaned up thoroughly, however we are probably looking to replace, the swivel hubs and the ball joints, and probably most of the internal assembly. Our current aim is to get a moving chassis, all cleaned up, by the end of next week most likely. Once we are at that stage we will start doing some of the more fun bits just to keep our interest and so we don't run out of steam, then we will more than likely have to go back and rebuild areas such as the hub. While it might make more sense to do these bits while they are very easily accessible, it may start to look like we are making no progress, if every single component is stripped and rebuilt before it goes on, and therefore we would probably loose motivation. I don't think, going into this, either of us knew what we are taking on, but i think we are more and more sure of what we are doing, how much there is to do, and how long it will take.

So there is a little hole in our plans, in fact there are two little holes about 1mm diameter in the rear plate of the diff, and the rest of the rear plate has nearly rusted though.

After removing

While scrubbing the diff sounded very "tinny" and when we turned it upside down it started leaking. We either need a new rear Axle or a new rear diff plate to weld on. Not sure my welding is quid up to scratch.

Project inevitably halted for a while.

Im not too keen on begging openly on a forum i have not been a member on for long; however in the hope of getting the project finished i think i will have to! Funds are severely limited but i have time a plenty. I am going to upload a thread to S2C forum on Sunday. Yes it is a summer project, maybe a bit longer, i want to do it all properly, and im not afraid of grafting to get that finish. I have just left 6th form and am sitting my A levels, 8 gun i have known since birth ( I was born on the 8th of June 95 and him the 9th ) and is at college learning tree surgery.

Wont be any updates for a while i am sorry to say; Axle issue has rather stopped progress until i can source a new one. The we re start the scrubbing priming and painting procedure.

18th birthday tomorrow, got to be up at the crack of dawn to go to the BASC AGM then homewards and to the pub!

I would get a decent welder to look at the rear of the diff. I had a Discovery many years ago and oil started to leak through the back plate. I have been around cars and built a few over many years, but had seen nothing like it before. I thought the whole axle was scrap until a local welder told me the rear plate is pressed out after the casting. The metal is quite thin just there.

He welded a cover over the rear plate - job done. Never saw another leak.

Could you not put seconed hand Discovery Axles under it they are a lot better ratio.

You would get a lot better mpg and a lot faster top end.

Unfortunately not without a lot of work and alterations....Series axles = leaf springs and disco = coil springs :no:

If the hole in the axle case was just small, I would recommend a chemical metal repair, but if the corrosion is as bad as you say, I'm affraid that a replacement will be needed.

Without wanting to sound too negative, if the axle has corroded that badly, & the front axle assembly did not look too good as I mentioned earlier I suspect that the internals, brakes & steering will also need attention. I think the project may be very labour intensive & very costly. The restoration of a vehicle from this state can run away from people's means, that is why there are so many unfinnished projects for sale out there. Still, I know that it can be a labour of love, but suggest you have a good look at he whole picture befor spending too much cash.

PS

If you do want to spend some money but have an easier entry into the world of land rovers, you could always buy mine off me :whistling: :whistling:

landy5.jpg

ATB & Happy birthday

S.G.

Yeah to be fair weld them up or metal putty will do the job for now, if you were to start a rebuild thread on the s2c forum I'd imagine people will give you a hand with things your short of, plenty of axle cases get scrapped cos no one wants them and they do a thing called a forum relay to get bits closer to you. If your really stuck i'll have one knocking about.

Edited by Paul223

I would get a decent welder to look at the rear of the diff. I had a Discovery many years ago and oil started to leak through the back plate. I have been around cars and built a few over many years, but had seen nothing like it before. I thought the whole axle was scrap until a local welder told me the rear plate is pressed out after the casting. The metal is quite thin just there.

He welded a cover over the rear plate - job done. Never saw another leak.

We both know of a welder who could carry out the work for beer money, the thing with welding a plate on is the concern over the rusty old one degrading up and being ground up by the diff and creating more issues.

Unfortunately not without a lot of work and alterations....Series axles = leaf springs and disco = coil springs :no:

If the hole in the axle case was just small, I would recommend a chemical metal repair, but if the corrosion is as bad as you say, I'm affraid that a replacement will be needed.

Without wanting to sound too negative, if the axle has corroded that badly, & the front axle assembly did not look too good as I mentioned earlier I suspect that the internals, brakes & steering will also need attention. I think the project may be very labour intensive & very costly. The restoration of a vehicle from this state can run away from people's means, that is why there are so many unfinnished projects for sale out there. Still, I know that it can be a labour of love, but suggest you have a good look at he whole picture befor spending too much cash.

PS

If you do want to spend some money but have an easier entry into the world of land rovers, you could always buy mine off me :whistling: :whistling:

landy5.jpg

ATB & Happy birthday

S.G.

We are aware there is a great deal of work to be done, after lengthy discussion and studying of the parts book we are going to have more than a few problems. Our first bench mark will just be get something that moves, Basically everything on the front axle bar the axle its self will probably be refurbished if possible, but much more likely replaced. As i think i have said before my dad did intend to do this himself and so he does have a collection of new, old and reconditioned parts that we can get probably cheaper than normal prices, however he is only willing to sacrifice so much stuff, and there has to be some give and take. Essentially it is probably overly ambitious, but with the exception the original chasis and axle set up all the parts have been stored indoors and are not in bad nick ( and the last time they were all connected up the damn thing did run ), and so with a little time and consideration i thing we will get it done eventually, the axle problem is just a rather large throw back.

Thanks for your kind words, and if i had any money i would have it off you in a pinch!

You lot are all mental :lol:

The OP and his mate remind me of Phineas and Ferb

http://www.disney.co.uk/phineas-and-ferb/index.jsp?ex_cmp=sem_g_uk:tv-dxd:phf:00413:0411

It's the one program the kids watch that I really enjoy :lol: I digress.

Good luck to each and every eccentric on her

I don't quite know what to say... thanks?

Yeah to be fair weld them up or metal putty will do the job for now, if you were to start a rebuild thread on the s2c forum I'd imagine people will give you a hand with things your short of, plenty of axle cases get scrapped cos no one wants them and they do a thing called a forum relay to get bits closer to you. If your really stuck i'll have one knocking about.

Ill see what i can find, im not completely broke, but neither do i really have the money for an axle, these projects to take over a bit but after speaking to my dad today he might put up some money to help, so ill see where that leads.

Thanks guys for your kind words and advice.

PS

landy5.jpg

ATB & Happy birthday

S.G.

Not a hard conversion, cut off spring mounts from disco axle and use flap disc to remove and burs then weld on some channel or folded plate to act as spring locator for leaf and job done on rear, front is a bit more awkward as you have to contend with steering arm but not a major issue

Where in north yorks are you, if you're close enough to cumbria and want to prep them first feel free to pop them over and if I get a few minutes spare I'll weld them up for a pint and pack of pork scratchings :P

Edited by Dr_evil

Could you not put seconed hand Discovery Axles under it they are a lot better ratio.

You would get a lot better mpg and a lot faster top end.

Not a hard conversion, cut off spring mounts from disco axle and use flap disc to remove and burs then weld on some channel or folded plate to act as spring locator for leaf and job done on rear, front is a bit more awkward as you have to contend with steering arm but not a major issue

Where in north yorks are you, if you're close enough to cumbria and want to prep them first feel free to pop them over and if I get a few minutes spare I'll weld them up for a pint and pack of pork scratchings :P

Thanks Dr Evil. I new i had seen disco axles under series land rovers. :good:

Just a bit of heavy gauge welding.

What a shame the garage 4 units away have just sold the engine and box out of a 96 300 tdi.

And just towed the rolling body away and weighed it in with the axles and leather interior and alloy wheels. :balloon:

I couldn`t understand it He just said he hasn`t the time to be bothered breaking it. :crazy:

This is for radically altered vehicles which it may or may not fall in to

Chassis or monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) (original or new)* 5 n

Suspension (front & back) 2 n

Axles (both) 2 n

Transmission 2 n

Steering assembly 2 n

Engine 1

So he'd keep 5 for chassis, 2 for suspension and 2 for trans, 2 for steering and 1 for engine so easily over 8

On my build it was a bit more dicey when I was planning axle swap so gave up on that and I keep suspension, steering, chassis and axles

Thanks Dr Evil. I new i had seen disco axles under series land rovers. :good:

Just a bit of heavy gauge welding.

What a shame the garage 4 units away have just sold the engine and box out of a 96 300 tdi.

And just towed the rolling body away and weighed it in with the axles and leather interior and alloy wheels. :balloon:

I couldn`t understand it He just said he hasn`t the time to be bothered breaking it. :crazy:

Balls :( I would have had some bits off that disco too had he been breaking it as no doubt it would get onto ebay :(

Yeah disco axles are a nice upgrade, stance will be 3" wider IIRC but you can use properly offset wheels to fix this, welding wise I'd remove diff and shafts then use a dremel to remove the rust and then patch over using stick welder (partly cos thats the only welder I now use)

Oh you also get strengthened 24 spline internals and the ball joints are better

partly as they're CV's instead of balls