Are fish fingers made from chicken?

Reece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22730613

A news article about how a lot of children don't know where their food comes from.

Nearly a third of primary school children think cheese comes from plants and a quarter think fish fingers come from chicken or pigs.

The survey also revealed confusion about the source of staples such as pasta and bread among younger pupils, with about a third of five-to-eight-year-olds believing that they are made from meat.

Some 19% of this age group did not realise that potatoes grew under ground, with 10% thinking they grew on bushes or trees.

What do you think? Has anyone had any experiences with children who are like that?

my kids are wicked they eat everything i do! we don't cook four different meals they eat what they are given!! and they are told about what they are eating.. last night we had a bbq with pigeon venison steak and burgers plus a fresh trout they new what they where eating and where it had come from..

they where asked if they wanted a McDonald by the misses sister they said who is he!!! end of!

Many moons ago I was a scout leader, the bulk of the troop were at the local private school so these were hardly sink estate kids and when we went on camp, we used to take the kids to the diary every morning for Milk and water. They were horrified to see the cows being milked so this is nothing new. We are mainly townies/suburban dwellers now.

yep this is why they get up in arms when it comes to things like a badger cull, they're clueless about food production... I wonder how many actually realise a diary cow has to be preggers to keep producing milk ??? I blame the BBC, moons ago they tried to tell us spaghetti grew on trees :rolleyes:

did u see the upper class numptys on the apprentice trailer .one didnt know what carrots were and another didnt know what a cow was.i think she shouldve looked in the mirror :lol: .its scary what a the guardian reading eejiots teaching kids at skool,innit.i think they ought to at least teach them the basics ,cow=milk.pig =bacon .chickens lay eggs.politicians lie through their back teeth nothing to taxing just the basics.all these farm open days take the kids open their eyes.that dinner on your plate used to run around that field educate them but dont scare em too much

my kids are wicked they eat everything i do! we don't cook four different meals they eat what they are given!! and they are told about what they are eating.. last night we had a bbq with pigeon venison steak and burgers plus a fresh trout they new what they where eating and where it had come from..

they where asked if they wanted a McDonald by the misses sister they said who is he!!! end of!

Bang on mate, my kids are the same, I try and smuggle my treats in and eat them on the sly( fresh caught fish, cockles mussels , shrimp , game etc)but my lot like the gutting and boiling etc and especialy the eating,They are on me like a rash as soon as I get back from a jaunt, "what have you caught Dad can we have it for tea" the greedy little **** ha ha ha,

I wouldnt want it any other way,

ATB

Flynny

Edited by flynny

I can't be doing with all this "Kid's menu" nonsense when we go out. Our boy will eat a smaller portion of whatever I'm having.

We were away in a hotel when he was about 5. The waiter said 'We can do chicken fingers with chips and beans for the little boy.' My son looked at him with disdain and read from the menu "Steak and kidney pudding with mash, peas, carrots and gravy please." My heart swelled to near bursting. The boy likes offal! Oh the joy!

I can't be doing with all this "Kid's menu" nonsense when we go out. Our boy will eat a smaller portion of whatever I'm having.

We were away in a hotel when he was about 5. The waiter said 'We can do chicken fingers with chips and beans for the little boy.' My son looked at him with disdain and read from the menu "Steak and kidney pudding with mash, peas, carrots and gravy please." My heart swelled to near bursting. The boy likes offal! Oh the joy!

TOP LAD :good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22730613

A news article about how a lot of children don't know where their food comes from.

Nearly a third of primary school children think cheese comes from plants and a quarter think fish fingers come from chicken or pigs.

The survey also revealed confusion about the source of staples such as pasta and bread among younger pupils, with about a third of five-to-eight-year-olds believing that they are made from meat.

Some 19% of this age group did not realise that potatoes grew under ground, with 10% thinking they grew on bushes or trees.

What do you think? Has anyone had any experiences with children who are like that?

Its the parents mate, you ever met some of them. Honestly its a joke, if its not x factor, a gormless unsmiling celebrity, or similar then they aint interested.

Proper job, good lad( and dad) mine love the Sunday roast, beef ,vege,tatas and gravy the lot ( and we all sit together for it, and all our other meals) but that's a different topic!!!!!!

You can't beat a proper rag pudding,

Atb

Flynny

My kids have always been told exactly where food comes from and would eat pretty much anything you put in front of them. When my daughter was small enough to still be riding in a trolley at the supermarket she was loudly explaining to anyone who would listen precisely what kidneys do.... much to the disgust of one woman who put the pack back in the chiller. OTOH, now she is 23 she is vegan so it doesn't necessarily last.

Nick

I wonder what fish they are actually made from, I remember as a kid old captain B advertising them as made from the finest Cod,

I wonder too. I used to work in the fish trade and know quality fish. It's not what goes in to Fish Fingers. Probably Coaly.

Now they sell Pollock as if it was something tremendous. In my day it was sold for cats and potbait.

The latest thing is some weird pink wobbly stuff called "Bassa" whatever the hell that is.

Maybe the chicken based "Fish Finger" idea is not all bad.

My kids will eat anything, inc McDonalds. we grow a small amount of our own veg, have a few chickend, (i'm not allowed to eat them). They fully understand where all their food comes from. You can blame the towns and parents, but its something that just doesn't crop up in conversation. Maybe it should be taught in school but not sure there is the time during the day.

I must admit watching telly a while ago, I was amased that peanuts grew in the ground, never really though about it just guessed they grew on trees.

Of course not, fish fingers are made from fingers of fish.

Seriously they are made from the bits of the fish that cannot be turned into a supermarket big bang for bucks.

Captain Birdseye.......yaaaaaarrrrr

Same with ocean pinks, crabsticks and probably lots of other things.

If memory is ok, surinami comes to mind.

Trawlers fish for anything that is not controlled.

Everything gets reduced to mulch, off loaded to dockside processors, they flavour it with whatever they want and sell it to us muppets.

Our 3 boys (7, 4 and nearly 3) so far have grown up knowing where their food comes from and the process it goes through to get from on hoof or fin to the plate. Even the youngest one has been with me in the jeep shooting rabbits and watched me gut, skin and cook them. They have all eaten McDonalds, chicken dippers, super noodles and the various other carp thats quick and easy when we are pushed for time but they know, at least the older two knows, that in the long term its not healthy and that they are better off with a lump of beef or home grown lamb or better still daddy's roast duck, crunchie tatties and lashings of gravy, crunchie tatties being roast tatties ha ha.

My kids are the same, son 9 and two daughters 5 & 2. Yes they eat McDonalds from time to time ( I would say once every two months ish) but they know exactly where food comes from. Living on a mainly arable farm they know exactly what OSR and wheat are used for. They also know the dry cattle go off for meat, they even have calves names after them.

They also love pheasant, rabbit, pigeon etc. my 5yr old daughter says "oh Dad, look at that big fat juicy wood pigeon!" All of them love wood pigeon and garlic mushrooms on toast as a snack and the oldest two love to come rabbit shooting.

I think it's a terrible shame that people, not just kids don't know where food comes from. I guess it comes down to supermarkets, packaging and bad education. (Mind you, if everyone went out shooting for the table, there would be ****** all left for us to shoot, so Shhh!!)