beretta 686e sporter or miroku mk70

Have you shot them both or just dry mounted them ? I brought a 686e evo that I thought fitted me well and it absolutely ruined my shooting and my clay scores halved overnight. My advice would be to shoot both first if you can and see which you get on best with best.

I have a 2008 686E. The gun shoots the legs off clays, and was, when I got it, more evenly balanced (the stock and reciever section weighted the same as the barrels and foreend). I was a bit of a novice and bought it on impulse. I then tried a mates MK70. This did not shoot high and despite being a R/H stock felt great. I hit a 21 out of 25 when I was struggling to get 14 or so with the Beretta. Anyhow I weighted the MK70 and found it was 200g lighter than the 686E and the difference was all in the stock (which appeared thinner and narrower). So where has that left me. As I bought the 686E with a spare stock (there was a very small crack in the one fitted) I drilled a 12mm hole, 11cm long from the butt plate and removed (I guess) about 150g of wood. I then took a couple of mill off the comb (so my line of sight was as per the £1 coin at the breach end stuff) and after abit of practise I am up to 20/21 withe the Beretta. In fact I now like the fact that the gun shoot the legs off as I feel I see more.

So in summary,

The stock of the MK70 will be lighter so try the 2 side by side to ensure you know which one feels best. This may be a bigger issue with the 686 Evo which has the even lighter optima barrels.

The Beretta may shoot 'higher' so do try both to see which suits you.

And, a mistake I made, try them before you buy for a round of at least 25. At most clubs people are more than willing to show off their guns - the reward is they can try yours when you get it !!

As above gun fit is the key to this question as both are good guns most people will either prefer Berretta or Mikoru/Browning. Dry mounting will give someone else an idea if it fits you a pattern plate will show any large errors but shooting it is the key test.

Take someone with you who knows what they are talking about not just a guessing friend.

Guest cookoff013

i had a 686e shot it for 3 -4 years. i was always envious of my mates 70sport.

i sold the 686 after i got the 70.

as they say, gunfit matters. but dont trow a gun away because it doesnot fit, you can change it to fit.

Easy decision! Its an MK38 every time! Reasons below.

1. The MK70 'trombones' the barrels to accommodate the chokes, I find this off-putting as I cant ignore it.

2. The Beretta is a proven gun with a great pedigree, but Miroku/Browning have more 'feel', they are just more 'alive' in your hands, this might sound b0ll0cks, but you will know what I mean when you use them.

3. The Beretta can occasionally be tricky to fit you, people often complain of 'seeing a lot of rib' meaning the gun will shoot higher than POA.

4. The MK38 has a lovely finish, it is a quality piece in the long tradition of Miroku/Browning it is a gun you should go and try out, any decent dealer will let you have one on demo if you have an appropriate licence and ID.

Over many years I have had many models from both manufacturer, the above are just my personal opinions, I'm not interested in arguments and wont change them!

Cheers,

O

post-45022-0-47698200-1370675865_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ozalid

I agree with what has been said about the beretta I've had a few of the old 686 and two of the new silver pigeons but fount the fit and feel **** really. my first miroku was a mk10 sporter the fit was just perfect it just seemed to come strait up into the shoulder I should of kept this gun but I needed a semi auto for the pigeons.i have now since got a miroku mk38 32 inch Teague sporter I tried a lot of guns in the shop but this one fitted me perfectly I would like to sat the beretta autos fit and work well for me

this probably isnt relevant as everyone is differnt, i had an mk38 trap 30'' and i found it out it didnt fit me as i was missing too many clays with it, my eye wasnt straight on the rib it was down the side, with me the gun seemed to shoot pretty flat as i used it on sporting clays aswel as dtl

i now have the beretta (down below) which fits me perfectly, my eye is straight on the rib (my shooting buddies have mounted it and said there eye was way off and down the side, 1 of them also has an mk38 grade 5 trap and fits him fine), i dont shoot sporting with it as it is a bit heavy to swing through and it shoots higher as my head is more upright on the stock plus the comb is raised by a tiny bit aswel because when i shoot dtl i like to have the clay just above the bead on the end.

what im saying is a miroku might fit you and the beretta might not so it will be best to get out there and try them and get the guy in the shop to go through gun fit with you (stand at the end of the gun and check your eye)