Hot bluing an aya yes or no .

ghilley

Hi iv a aya no 4 that I want to re blue.? iv hot acid dip tanks set up for rifle barrels and actions and contenentle ou barrels with no problem Iv been trying to get the defenate answer on construction used for aya if the barels are soft soldered they will fall apart if I use hot salts I'd rather Hot dip than cold rust as the proses is quik and results are excellent any help please

I've hot blued lots of modern barrels silver brazing is fine its quite easy to remove the salts I wash them in boiling water then water dispersing oil then boiling water again with detergent then back in the oil followed by special finishing oil with wax iv also set up for rust blacking so I can do both types of barrel thanks

Aya barrels Are silver braized and are not caustic blacked at the Factory they are all rust blued, caustic is ok for rifles but I would avoid putting shotgun barrels in it.

AYA, Browning, Winchester and Beretta caustic black most of there guns with the exception of the top end models?

I went to the Aya factory with my grandfather and he went to show them a bit about rust blacking, they do not caustic finish any barrels, how do you get the caustic out from under the ribs?

I run a number of tanks, there are two flowing boiling water tanks at the end of the process to ensure the salts are removed while not contaminating the rinse water for the next set

In the very unlikely event anything remains after that the final hot neutralising oil bath finishes the job

I'm looking at a yeoman and a No4 right now and I'm certain they are Caustic blacked, when were you at the factory?

It was some time back when I was at the factory but I am still in touch with them, they confirmed by email none of their guns are caustic blacked nor would they use that process on their barrels, I have done a large amount of barrels for berretta too they have a lot of processes, very few gunmakers now use the caustic process it was never meant for barrels just the parts and rifles, that is the way I was brought up, I finish 100 barrels a month all via the rusting method, my grandfather had a large finishing business in London in the sixties before moving to the country and starting again his family have done this work since 1840.

very few gunmakers now use the caustic process

With the very greatest respect that is far from true outside of handmade guns which are a very small proportion of world production.

The time and cost involved in rust blueing barrels makes it impractical for a modern production line process which is why most standard production Browning/Beretta/Winchester/Remington/Miroku/Lanber shotguns are hot blacked on the line, to do otherwise is just impractical given modern production processes.

In many ways its a shame all guns arent still made and finished by hand interestingly the AYA workshop have just confirmed that new No4's are all hot blacked these days although the older ones were rust blacked.

It seems we are both right my friend.

Edited by RichardH

Brill I'm going down the rust blacking prosses for the aya this time ive hot salted the furniture iv a nice English 16 to do at the same time I'm now set up for both processes. Thanks to everyone for the imput especially barrel browner for kindly sending me some carding wheels

Thanks

Edited by ghilley

I have done endless research on this and still don't know, I have an AYA no2 that I would like fully restored and I don't know we're to start, want barrels blued, service, stock finished etc but there's so many different options. Was thinking of doing it myself but unsure.

Stock and service ort to be simple ?Cleen the locks with parafin strip with out the ejectors and Clean ! I then use small amounts of white spray grease to lube and wipe off the excess If you have any color on side plats and action just lightly oil if its all gone I highly polish them looks much better than dull worn off color be very careful not to run the engraving with heavy polishing wheels just take your time with fine wire wool and finish with a soft mop wheel

Strip the stock steem out any dings air dry for two days min ? prep and oil hand rub oil until it will not take any moor oil remember less is more with the thikness of each coat use a toothbrush to keep the cheking from taking to much oil .

If the barrels and chambers are a little dull you can hone them very simply( trade secret )with out the use off special tools ! All the furniture can be hot blued but the barels well that's still the question rust or hot ? I'm stiking with rust for the no 4 Good luck it's fun

Not wanting to hijack or cause another discussion, which is better and what is the difference in finish?

My dad has a No 4 he bought new in around 1966 (i think) that could do with a bit of a refurb. From reading above, it would seem it was originally rust blacked given it's age.

If i were to get it spruced up, which blacking method would be best?

Thanks

AB