HIGH END CARP ROD ADVICE

Evening all, after my last post about some shimano big baitrunners I wanted, I have bought three so now I'm looking at upgrading my rods, as I'm mainly going to be doing specimen carp and cat fishing I'm after something special.

A friend of mine has got some sonic SK3's. he likes them but has advised me to check out some others like Torrix's, free spirt and prodigy GT5's.

The favourite so far are Torrix's 3:25lbs T/C. Just wondering what everyone thought and if anyone has got any of the above or ever used them or has any other recommendations for some quality rods.

ATB 425

I have a set of free spirit hi's ives and they are nice rods, if i was to change now i would almost certainly go down the harrison route as i don't think the extra price on free spirit rods is justified.

I guess before i can recommend anything, we need to know what style of fishing you will be doing as a 3.25lb tc rod will have drawbacks if you are mainly fishing small pools.

I had three custom built torrix until recently in 3.25 tc, the only reason I sold them was due to the fact I only fish a week a year now and thought it was too much money to have sitting in a shed.

Fantastic rods and no problems with hook pulls even at that TC, cast like a dream too.

If you fancy custom built try here , very good prices and a top job

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dkrods.co.uk%2FHarrison-Advanced-Rods%2F&ei=vhGxUfysA8ePOIWQgcAG&usg=AFQjCNHwrzCye5D3G41KlnJqUGMUNQbEJw&bvm=bv.47534661,d.ZWU

I fish waters of all sizes but have a bait boat so casting won't always be an issue. I was looking at 3:25 T/C as they seemed to be the most popular T/C they do, but did worry if its a little strong.

Thanks for the link fenboy, I will give him a ring later. Hopefully I will have some of these for my trip to predator lakes in August.

Thanks got the advice guys. ATB 425

Dont bother, I had hand built rod huthinson rods at first and frankly have worked my way downwards in price it makes no difference to the fish they dont care :) ive just got a pair of JRC skyliner MR 2.75 rods for carp of ebay for £50 and they are as good as anything else. Spend your money on the clubs and actually going fishing not being a tackle tart :)

Dont bother, I had hand built rod huthinson rods at first and frankly have worked my way downwards in price it makes no difference to the fish they dont care :) ive just got a pair of JRC skyliner MR 2.75 rods for carp of ebay for £50 and they are as good as anything else. Spend your money on the clubs and actually going fishing not being a tackle tart :)

Very sound advice! :good:

I fish waters of all sizes but have a bait boat so casting won't always be an issue. I was looking at 3:25 T/C as they seemed to be the most popular T/C they do, but did worry if its a little strong.

Thanks for the link fenboy, I will give him a ring later. Hopefully I will have some of these for my trip to predator lakes in August.

Thanks got the advice guys. ATB 425

In that case unless you intend on using solid bags with a casting weight of 4+ oz regularly i would say that the 3.25lb would be a little too much. The torrix is a lovely blank but i would say that you would enjoy your new rods a whole lot more if you went for one with a playing action such as the new Harrison accurix in 2.75.

If you really feel like pushing the boat out you could have a look at the dymag f6 rods, the waiting time is quite long but Graeme will build you absolutely anything to your standards. You wouldn't be disappointed with a set of these as the build quality is above everything else.

I have Sonik 3lb TC carp rods and for the money there ok. I mate them with Shimano baitrunners XT's. Personally I don't think the rods are that well balanced when I compare them to my previous Shimano Beastmaster rods. Good enough to punch 100yds and flexible enough under the tip.

Already said and I have to agree - spend more on going fishing than the latest gear, fish don't care how bling your rod and reel are.

I believe the Dymags are made on Harrison produced blanks. A friend has their 9-11ft stalker which is built on a maroon lacquered torrix blank.

In that case unless you intend on using solid bags with a casting weight of 4+ oz regularly i would say that the 3.25lb would be a little too much. The torrix is a lovely blank but i would say that you would enjoy your new rods a whole lot more if you went for one with a playing action such as the new Harrison accurix in 2.75.

If you really feel like pushing the boat out you could have a look at the dymag f6 rods, the waiting time is quite long but Graeme will build you absolutely anything to your standards. You wouldn't be disappointed with a set of these as the build quality is above everything else.

I appreciate the comments about spending more on good lakes than tackle are sound advice and I do plan to fish the better places, but most of my stuff is good gear and will allow me to fish any decent lake without worrying if my tackle is up to the job.

I've recently got into cat fishing and after booking a trip to predator lakes for early August and then hopefully next year will be France and I don't want to have to upgrade all my tackle again.

Does anybody else think 3:25 T/C are to heavy for mainly uk waters

All advice is appreciated. ATB 425

I have a set of dawia longbow DF'S 3lb t/c & think for the money you cant beat um, have had carp to just shy of 30lb & cats's to 60lb+ on them no issues & can cast 150+ with ease. Had greys prodigy's before that i think the longbows perform better. Best advice get an idea of what you want & see if you can have a play with them in the shop.

ATB.

I believe the Dymags are made on Harrison produced blanks. A friend has their 9-11ft stalker which is built on a maroon lacquered torrix blank.

There was a discussion on this the other day on another forum that i am a member of and graeme who owns Dymag was emailed regarding it and it turned out the f6 is completely his own design built by him on his own equipment.

I had 2 fox ranger xt 13 ft 3.5 lb and a 12 ft 2.75 lb

And loved them to bits. Not really top quality gear but well worth what they sell for now.

I do miss carp fishing but it was getting to be like moving house every time we went out fishing :/

All the best mate

Karl.

I appreciate the comments about spending more on good lakes than tackle are sound advice and I do plan to fish the better places, but most of my stuff is good gear and will allow me to fish any decent lake without worrying if my tackle is up to the job.

I've recently got into cat fishing and after booking a trip to predator lakes for early August and then hopefully next year will be France and I don't want to have to upgrade all my tackle again.

Does anybody else think 3:25 T/C are to heavy for mainly uk waters

All advice is appreciated. ATB 425

I don't think 3.25lb is too heavy for uk waters at all chap, i have hi's ives and they are much heavier than that. The test curve is only too heavy if the style of fishing you are doing involves casting small leads and bags, in which you more than likely won't be able to compress the rod properly which reduces casting accuracy.

If you really like the 3.25lb torrix then i would suggest buying it because if you aren't happy with what you buy then you will ultimately end up selling it!

3.25 torrix is very forgiving , so I dont think they are over the top , you may have a bait boat but many water ban them and then you are going to need a good casting rod, the torrix will do the lot .

I had a 52lb carp in france last year on a 12lb hook length and small hook and had no problems at all.