"Kill" or "Lost"

Cranfield

Sporting layout with a right to left rabbit and a left to right crosser on report.

The shooter misses the rabbit, the crosser is in the air, but the shooter "kills" the rabbit with their second shot.

What does the referee call ?

Probably a silly question, but the cause of a debate among 3 of my clay shooting friends and me.

The CPSA website seems to suggest its "kill" and "lost", but my friends disagree.

From the English Sporting Rules pdf link:

7.13 Two cartridges may be fired at a single target, but the Competitor will not be allowed to load

more than two cartridges for firing at each pair.

7.15 In simultaneous pairs the competitor has the right to shoot either of the targets first. Should

the Competitor hit both targets together with either the first or second shot; the result will be

scored pair scored.

7.16 In any regular pair the competitor having missed the first target may fire their second cartridge

at the same target, the result being scored on the first target, the second target being counted as

lost unless the shot breaks both targets.

CPSA Booklet Number 7 - Technical Rules.

7:16 In any regular pair the competitor having missed the first target may fire the second cartridge at the same target, the result being scored on the first target, the second target being counted as lost unless the shot breaks both targets.

Therefore in the situation that Cranfield has outlined in his original post under CPSA Rules the result is definitely Kill - Loss!

Petethegeek beat me to the answer while I was checking to make sure that I was 100% right!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Sporting layout with a right to left rabbit and a left to right crosser on report.

The shooter misses the rabbit, the crosser is in the air, but the shooter kills" the rabbit with their second shot.

Probably a silly question, but the cause of a debate among 3 of my clay shooting friends and me.

The CPSA website seems to suggest its "kill" and "lost", but my friends disagree.

i heard he called you a jammy **** at the weekend :lol:

The shooter misses the rabbit, the crosser is in the air, but the shooter kills" the rabbit with their second shot.

i heard he called you a jammy **** at the weekend :lol:

Better than "Drunken" the weekend before :lol::lol:

correct terminology is as per rule book

scored and lost - it is possible to hit a clay and not score it, and it is also possible to score a clay without breaking it -

In the PC world of clays the term "kill" is obsolete.

I was Chairman of the referees sub committee in around 2003 when terminology was being discussed and CPSA literature was being improved to use consistent and defined terminology throughout - the booklets, rule books and coaching manuals had been a bit of a mish-mash of terms.

Amongst the suggestions to replace "kill" was suggested " untimely demise" ..!!!!!!!

Now am I being particularly dense today but how is it possible to " hit a clay and not score it, and possible to score a clay without breaking it"?

Mr Potter

"Hit a clay and not score it" and "Score a clay without breaking it" - both possible on the repeat of an on-report pair after a 2nd bird no-bird?.

Now am I being particularly dense today but how is it possible to " hit a clay and not score it, and possible to score a clay without breaking it"?

Mr Potter

No mate it's not just you lol. Can anyone explain? Even if it is just for Mr Potter and myself lol.

Sorry, question answered I believe. Must have been typing at the same time.

Edited by Trevorevans

Both situations exist and are dealt with in the rule books and referees course teaching.

If a "target" ( no birds in CPSA terminology ) was declared a no-target, but was shot at and hit, it would not be scored. That would be "repeat", possibly with the other target established depending on the discipline and target presentation type. Any situation where a shooter discharges and hits the target, but the shot was not a legitimate scoring shot, could have the situation arise that a target is shot at, hit, but does not count for score. In skeet, hitting the wrong target in order does not score it as a point.

If a target is seen to have visible holes appear in it ( eg a high overhead target), although it has not been "hit" and broken in the conventional sense, the target is still counted for score.

The possibility of these situations arising, and how the outcome is dealt with, is taught in all CPSA Referees courses.