Can you identify this bird?

Frenchieboy

Here is a little poser for you all that I don't know the answer of. This bird has been flying about locally to us for 4 or 5 days. It tends to stay very close to us and is spotted regularly sitting on the roofs that I have just filmed it on and then just circling that area.

It is the size of a small collared dove and has pink markings on it's wings when folded and a few grey markings on it's face and body. When in flight the underside of it's wings are a bright pink colour and it's tail fans right out, more so than a normal dove. It's flight path is rather eratic and like that of a magpie. It also has a small crest on it's head which it only raises very occasionally. My first thoughts were that it might have been a member of the cockatoo or parrot family but it does not have a curved beak like a cockatoo or parrot. When it takes off from where it is sitting it's wing beats sound a little like a pigeon taking off.

Anyone got any thoughts on what it might be please?

p.s. Sorry about the shakey camera work, I didn't take a bipod with me to film it.

Socorro dove? (i looked on Google).

I have just looked up "Socorro Dove" on Wikipedia and the bird in the picture that they show as a Socorro Dove has a much darker brown coloured body. This bird has a predominantly light grey body with a few darker grey/black markings. It could however be a cross breed or "mutation"!

It looks like a Feral to me.

Markings are not always particularly helpful after a few generations of mixed breeding, plenty of "white type" Ferals.

Can't argue with you about size but it looks more Feral size than Dove in the vid, bottom line is who knows, a real Heinz 57 I'd guess! :good:

Edited by Dekers

It's a feral that has been spray painted by some idiot in the town by the looks of it to me mate.

Karpman

If these bl**dy graphiti artists are starting to spray paint designs on pigeons at least they could put some target type of designs on them to give me something to aim at and allow me a "sporting chance"! :lol::lol::lol:

On a serious note: Another couple of things that I forgot to mention are the shape and colour of the wings. The wings are much more rounded than a "normal" pigeons wings and all of the underside of the wings are completely bright pink! As for size, it is no bigger than a normal dove/feral pigeon.

You don't surpose that if it comes from Essex it could be "gay" do you? :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Here is a little poser for you all that I don't know the answer of. This bird has been flying about locally to us for 4 or 5 days. It tends to stay very close to us and is spotted regularly sitting on the roofs that I have just filmed it on and then just circling that area.

It is the size of a small collared dove and has pink markings on it's wings when folded and a few grey markings on it's face and body. When in flight the underside of it's wings are a bright pink colour and it's tail fans right out, more so than a normal dove. It's flight path is rather eratic and like that of a magpie. It also has a small crest on it's head which it only raises very occasionally. My first thoughts were that it might have been a member of the cockatoo or parrot family but it does not have a curved beak like a cockatoo or parrot. When it takes off from where it is sitting it's wing beats sound a little like a pigeon taking off.

Anyone got any thoughts on what it might be please?

p.s. Sorry about the shakey camera work, I didn't take a bipod with me to film it.

Could it be a .... Lesser Spotted Tossa?

It's a feral that has been spray painted by some idiot in the town by the looks of it to me mate.

Karpman

I would suggest this is the answer.

A few years ago, a pal of mine used to supply doves from his barn for film work and weddings. When released most would eventually make their way back home. It was not uncommon for some to turn up pink or blue.