How many people shoot the hares

I have been wondering for a while now just how many people / members take hares off their permission, I ask due to having 3 separate pieces of land with hares 1 in particular holding a good number.

I have so far up to yet refrained from taking any as I think they are stunning and want to try my hawk on them in the winter but my finger is getting very twitchy these days having had them in my sights sitting nice and still.

Do I or don't I this is the dilemma !!!

The farmer of my permission likes the hares and doesn't want them touched. They are quite prolific now, but his wishes are his wishes and I respect them. How does the landowner of your permission feel?

one land owner said he likes them but they do do damage to his crops and doesn't mind if I thin them out but would prefer to see them about ,so i'm stuck in the middle the other land owner said " take anything that strays onto my crops " but I have been told its an unwritten law of this particular land that you don't shoot them and he is only a tenant farmer so I've not touched them , what do you think ? I don't want him to think i'm not doing my job but don't want to get caught by the owner taking them its a black hole

Until corrected by those of greater experience/judgement, I would go with the direction of those who gave me the permission. i.e. The fist landowner likes to see them around so by all means take one or two, but make sure there are enough left so that he still sees them around. The second, until corrected otherwise, if he is the one who is authorised and has given you the permission, then go with his wishes.

best guidelines can be seen on the BASC website, though were you in Scotland they now have a closed season which is something I can see cropping up south of the border before too long.

We shoot them when they are a problem and on hare days in February before they breed and occasionally thin a few if they do too much damage as our game covers appear

...and a trophy Red Stag isn't, or a Dog fox in full glorious summer coat, etc.! :hmm::hmm:

Exactly...most of the the species people shoot could be admired (except perhaps rats) but ultimately it comes down to numbers and whether they need controlling. I don't shoot foxes because I think they are magnificent animals - but that is because I don't have a need to and another guy on my permission exclusively deals with them. If I was asked to then I would but I am happy that I don't need to.

Here around Solihull there are not too many hares, I often see them but not in large numbers, conversely on the shoot I beat on the Cotswolds there are hundreds and hundreds of hares so we do take the odd one for the pot.

I could have easily shot a hare last night (I saw two) when I was out after rabbits but left it alone. They are in my experience, a lot easier to get near than rabbits as they will hunker down and hide rather than leg it so not only are they nice to watch, they are not difficult or challenging to hunt either.