How many people shoot the hares

On our permissions we are told to shoot them as they are fed up with idiots and dogs chasing them all over the crops.

same here.farmer has no problem with me taking the odd one for the pot,but last year had real problems with locks being cut of gates and vehicles being driven in and hares being coursed.now if i see hares ive been asked to shoot them.

theres an abundance of hares on one of my permissions,not unusual to see 15 in one field just lately,i was out last Monday morning about 4am with the rifle,watching them through the scope,counted 50 odd over 6 fields,i don't like shooting them but the farmer has asked me on numerous occasions to take a few,as I said I don't like shooting them,but if I don't the coursers will find them and take them anyway,they have just taken 15 pairs from a fell on my permission,(so the farmer tells me)so ive got to do as he wishes...........DAZ

Don't shoot them much, but we have had to do it once when there were loads in the public areas and they started to attract poachers for illegal coursing. Reducing hare numbers in the public areas stopped poachers being attracted to the farm.

Edited by Reece

COME ON LADS everyone knows they are great sport with a .243 hand-loaded with a V-max at 704 yards and their still good eating afterwards.

Ive still got that old fridge at the ready..........................................................

I have seen this done just once but at 720 yds with a 22 K Hornet!!

Not enough on my permission to be causing major damage and the farmer likes them around so they are left alone (which is fine by me). Not seen as many this year but that is probably no coincidence as the Do As You Likeys have put in a few appearances at night according to the farmer.

Nice to watch them when the pigeon shooting is a bit slow.

I have been wondering for a while now just how many people / members take hares off their permission, I ask due to having 3 separate pieces of land with hares 1 in particular holding a good number.

I have so far up to yet refrained from taking any as I think they are stunning and want to try my hawk on them in the winter but my finger is getting very twitchy these days having had them in my sights sitting nice and still.

Do I or don't I this is the dilemma !!!

Don't shoot the brown hares as there's not many my way. Shot a few blue hare though.

If you were going to shoot them, surely its more "fun" with the shotgun than the rifle?

When I worked on the moors we had one hate shoot a year and walked pretty much the whole estate and would easy shoot 500 hares for the day. Then we would leave them alone for the rest of the year the thinking behind that was there was something else for the predators to eat other than the grouse until we managed to deal with them

Also help a mate out who lamps them for a large veg producer round here all done under license to shoot out of season, however my own permissions two will not allow hares to be touched whereas the other farm I can do as I please so i will occasionally have one for the pot other than that I like to see them running about

I don't shoot them, they are stunning

So are foxes and fun to watch too, quite fond of pigeons not a bad avian to look at and I'm sure if they were sparse people would go mad for them.

If there doing damage and said farmer wants em gone there shot and thats that.

Karpman