Best shot

red_stag88

Whats the jammiest shot youve ever taken and hit?

I was having a good day today, the coach (a guy in the year above) had a little compotition running between him, me, a friend (Pat Watt BD) and the trapper (who has shot for warwickshire). We had to take an incommer off the hip. Every one had missed before me, I got to the stand, and called a rather feeble "pull" out came a rather inconsistant bird, like a bat out of hell, and i squeezed, and

SMOKED THE *** :lol: :( :D:lol::D:lol::lol::lol:

Then I did it again :lol::/:D:D:D:P:P :(

And it didnt stop there, on the other stand was a springing teal, I could shoot that off the hip because the teacher was watching, so just to top off an already great round, I halved the teal and put the second barrel into the other half as it decended to earth :D

All in all a bit of a show off today.

My Jammiest or should I say Best shot :D was when I was on a driven shoot in Norfolk

we had just lined up and the whistle had been blown to start the drive when a single partridge rocketed straight down the line of guns.

it was so fast that no one else got a shot at it, I fired and took its head clean off :lol::D :D

I have to say the jammiest shot i ever had was roost shooting at pigeons one blustery night. I was getting a bit bored and was nearly sleeping when my mate shouted and out of the corner of my eye I seen a woodie going straight over my head (and it wasn't taking its time about it) I only had a small gap to fire and I don't even think the gun touched my shoulder until I knew there was a puff of feathers.

PURE LUCK

:*) :*)

hi red . i had a lucky shot on saturday . i was in tall beech trees when about ten pidgeons came over , i picked one right above me and shot at it but another one fell stone dead . my mate was behind me and i heard another bird fall and i askrd him did he shoot ? he said no and told me i had taken out 2 with one shot. i have done this twice before once with 2 crossing pigeons and once with a pigeon and a crow. i dont know how old you are red but you should not shoot a firearm from the hip mate after all you say a safe shot is a good shot .

I think my luckiest ever shot was only a couple of weeks ago,i was doing a job for a local farmer who is also a shooter and had stopped for some dinner when he came out with a cuppa for me,we got talking and he told me about a fourten he had just payed 50 quid for off another farmer,he said he couldnt hit a barn door with it because the stock had been chopped down to allow a youngster to use it and it had been bored out to allmost no choke for some reasion.I said,go in and get it and we can pattern it,off he went and i set up a pallet with a split in half fertiliser bag on it,he came back with the gun and fired a shot,i could have thrown a better pattern with a handfill of gravel ??? he gave it to me and we walked a bit closer to the pallet to see it we could atleast find out where it was firing when a pigeon with the wind behind it emerged going left to right,i basically snapped the gun shut and fired,the bird dropped stone dead.The look on the farmers face was a real picture :lol:

I disagree with colin here, there have been some very mean Trap shooters that can 'shoot from the Hip' and it can be a very good technique in teaching instinctive shooting. as long as he isnt pointing the barrel at anyone and he is shooting from the cage and down the range and can control the kick safely he is of no danger to anyone, the name of the game in clays is breaking them, who cares how you do it as long everyone else is behind you.

I agree with you colin,it might seem like fun but how do you explain that when there is a accident.My dad taught me to shoot,if he had seen me do that sort of thing i would of needed medical assistance to remove his size ten hunter from my @r$e.Always respect the gun ???

last winter , two of us were shooting a roost wood , when i had to answer the call of nature , with fag in mouth and gun under arm , i proceeded to relieve myself ; when a woody came straight across the field towards me . without thinking i took my gun from under my arm and shot him (still with fag in mouth and still peeing) , the woody proceded to carry on towards me (dead) which caused me to duck and you can guess what happened (wet leg and burned lip)

Colin no one in their right mind would shoot driven game any other way but from the shoulder but you have to understand that Red Stag was perfectly in his rights to shoot from the hip in a Trap cage. May i refer to this extract from an international trap shooter AND INSTRUCTOR;

"Because it is so hard people come up with the weirdest ways to stand. I have seen a guy hop when he called the target. I have seen a guy try to shoot the target with the gun still at his hip. I know a guy who sits on a stool when he shoots, and he is pretty good!"

You cannot give RedStag a ticking off for this one, its his choice whether he does it or not, personally i cant see the point in shooting from the hip but Red Stag is perfectly in his rights to do so. In the field it is a different matter as you never know who or what is going to be on the recieving end of a missed shot but down the trap range....who cares!

And as for me knowing better, I think I do know better than you on this one.

In the field it is a different matter as you never know who or what is going to be on the recieving end of a missed shot but down the trap range....who cares!

As you should know, you should always be aware of where a missed shot would go, if you don't have a safe backdrop, you don't take the shot. ???

In the field it is a different matter as you never know who or what is going to be on the recieving end of a missed shot but down the trap range....who cares!

As you should know, you should always be aware of where a missed shot would go, if you don't have a safe backdrop, you don't take the shot. ???

yah thats what i was trying to say :lol: , Clay ranges however are designed so that missed shots do no harm to anyone.

re s hunter . someday some person will shoot from hip with first barrell the gun butt will slip and hit them on nuts they will fall over and maybe shoot next barrell either shooting themselves or someone else .it is my opinion that this type of messing around with a loaded weapon is dangerous . you have the right to disagree with me s h i wont fall out with u over it its only my own feelings on matter. where i live in n ireland if u shot from the hip on a clay range u would be stopped and told to leave and if a psni firearms officer seen it i am sure your firearms cert would be taken from u plus your guns. all the best sh colin ni.

re s hunter . someday some person will shoot from hip with first barrell the gun butt will slip and hit them on nuts they will fall over and maybe shoot next barrell either shooting themselves or someone else .it is my opinion that this type of messing around with a loaded weapon is dangerous .

To be honset I do have to agree with you here, I wish I'd kept quiet.

Red, just been reading through your topic and replys, i can agree that a shot can be taken from the hip. But as far as safety and direction of fire is concerned, i tend to disagree. Myself i have been trained in the past to fire a weapon from the hip. All that you are doing in firing a shotgun from the hip is putting buck in the general direction or area of the target. Even down the range of a clay shoot i would still class it as unsafe. Red this is not a dig at you in anyway, its all about gun safety, and safety to others around you. No hard feelings Red.