22 lr bunny shooting !

markyboy

Was out the other night with my dad popping a few bunnys we got 30 odd and missed about the same !

At first wen my dad was missing them I was cracking up for a quid a rabbit I was hoping to bag 80 /100 in 3 hours

One field would be up to 60 yard kills no prob next field would be a series of misses and not clean kills which I don't like. So I made a quick target and zero it at 45 yard 3 shots all 2 inch to the left so tweaked it 3 more shots all near thru same hole!

Off we go and 10 rabbits in the bag then another 10 missed, I was starting to wonder if the scope was loose but nope !

Then I said to my old man , what bullets are we using ? As he was loader and he said I've got some winnys, Remis and cci? I thought hold on a minute as rule of thumb with my big rifle I zero it to the same bullet and keep it never change.

Although I may already know the answer can it alter that much with a 22 using differant manufactures bullets?

I zerod it a year ago with a batch of winnys and it was perfect its never been used since.

The bullets could be the blame wondered your thoughts

Mark

I would stick to what works with the gun, if you do change it is worth spending time on some targets first to make sure all is well.

I am not the best shot you will find and often shoot 30+...if I missed 3 that night I would not be happy at all...I am sure you will sort the problem out.

Was out the other night with my dad popping a few bunnys we got 30 odd and missed about the same !

At first wen my dad was missing them I was cracking up for a quid a rabbit I was hoping to bag 80 /100 in 3 hours

One field would be up to 60 yard kills no prob next field would be a series of misses and not clean kills which I don't like. So I made a quick target and zero it at 45 yard 3 shots all 2 inch to the left so tweaked it 3 more shots all near thru same hole!

Off we go and 10 rabbits in the bag then another 10 missed, I was starting to wonder if the scope was loose but nope !

Then I said to my old man , what bullets are we using ? As he was loader and he said I've got some winnys, Remis and cci? I thought hold on a minute as rule of thumb with my big rifle I zero it to the same bullet and keep it never change.

Although I may already know the answer can it alter that much with a 22 using differant manufactures bullets?

I zerod it a year ago with a batch of winnys and it was perfect its never been used since.

Mark

The answer is, why are you asking us, you have the different ammo so try it, then you will know for sure! :good:

Are u not allowed to get opinions on here for peace of mind

An opinion wont answer the problem as to why you are causing pain and suffering to rabbits!

You need to test the ammo! :good:

....and even if you did get an opinion, what are you going to do then...test the ammo, that is the only way you will get peace of mind. :yes::yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

Mark

I am rather surprised that you should think that a rifle zeroed a year ago with Winchester ammunition, and not fired since then, would still be accurately zeroed after that length of time and particularly when used with a variety of different ammunition.

So you have missed / wounded about 30 rabbits in one night.

Nuf said...... But despite what I have just said, I would rather you asked for advice in this forum than carried on in ignorance, but please, learn about shooting before you go out and cause suffering. It is clear that neither you or your father have a clue about how a rifle works and how to shoot responsibly. Sorry. Its all a bit basic but you really need to improve your skills both in theory and in practice, it is not enough just to enjoy your shooting.

For your info the not clean kills, the rabbits were picked and quickly dispatched.

Forgive me for posting on this complete and utter waste of time forum full of complete tossers looking to belittle people cos they think they actually know what there talking about !

Do gooders trying to say they av never gut shot a rabbit in their sad pathetic lives is a nonsense ! We have all injured somthing in our lives!

Go a grow a decent size knob and stop trying to make out you are the country gents who have never done anything wrong

For your info the not clean kills, the rabbits were picked and quickly dispatched.

Forgive me for posting on this complete and utter waste of time forum full of complete tossers looking to belittle people cos they think they actually know what there talking about !

Do gooders trying to say they av never gut shot a rabbit in their sad pathetic lives is a nonsense ! We have all injured somthing in our lives!

Go a grow a decent size knob and stop trying to make out you are the country gents who have never done anything wrong

Ok, to add balance and answer the ops question and perhaps restore his faith in this forum the answer is yes, diff ammo will present diff zero points, also some bricks can vary wildly if lesser quality ammo. I would look at using 1 brick of ammo to zero and stick with that for a night. Off you still get the same variance in accuracy look at cleaning your mod (assuming U have one) as a dirty mod (from.personal experience) can affect consistency. If prob persists try a diff brand zero and go out fora shoot. If still persists I would look at your scopes internals as ut could be shot (esp if a cheaper scope).

To minimize risk of wounding make sure your happy with zeroing session (I.e. Accuracy over say 20 shots) before you go out. If when out you notice probs stop immediately so you don't end up wounding bunnies. Hope this helps.

Ps if scope not at fault, could be you not having a consistent hold etc, or a dodgy barrel or broken mod which is clipping the rounds (check by looking down empty barrel from bolt end to ensure no obstacles

Pleased to hear it.... Around here they would quickly make it back into their holes and die there, no chance of a quick dispatch.

If the cap fits.... As an experienced shooter you should know that a rifle may shoot to a different zero if you change ammunition. If a gun has not been used for a year don't you think that anyone who cared about accuracy would consider running a patch through the barrel and then taking a couple of shots at a target to check things out before (10 or more wounded rabbits later) wondering if something might be a bit off?

Yep! me too, and sometimes more than one on a bad day and worse still I may fail to retrieve it.

Sadly the days of knob growth are a fading memory, its just the old ball sack that seems to descend steadily towards my knees (you have it all to come.....) No tweed in my house.

Presumably aimed at me.... I did not think I was too provocative :)

That's a heck of a lot of rabbits mate, well done!

Can we assume that you got your zeroing and ammunition problems sorted out them?

Yes pal all going well ! Just a bit of a balls up with my dad being a bit out of touch throwing a mixture in his pocket ! Let him off tho ! He plays too much golf these days

Yes pal all going well ! Just a bit of a balls up with my dad being a bit out of touch throwing a mixture in his pocket ! Let him off tho ! He plays too much golf these days

Dads eh who would have em.........well done you Mark,you seem too have got a bit of a hard time on this thread from the key bashers

Ah well life goes on good shooting bud

atb Beer

Dads eh who would have em.........well done you Mark,you seem too have got a bit of a hard time on this thread from the key bashers

Ah well life goes on good shooting bud

atb Beer

Aye pal was a bit low for a few to put I shouldn't be holding a rifle etc etc but al be away holding it again on fri night ! Another farm another problem, another dahatsui full of bunnys ! Mabie bump into a wee Charlie fox