.22 Hornet compared to 17HMR

Consider a larger centerfire if they are giving you the go ahead for one, forget going the minimum with a hornet keep your HMR for when you have many rabbits about and get a .222 or .223 which will be far more at home with windy conditions over valleys. Thety are easy to learn to reload and give you the ability for foxes pretty much as far out as you can hit them.

p.s if your ticket has pest or vermin control on I'd just crack on and shoot foxes anyway.

Consider a larger centerfire if they are giving you the go ahead for one, forget going the minimum with a hornet keep your HMR for when you have many rabbits about and get a .222 or .223 which will be far more at home with windy conditions over valleys. Thety are easy to learn to reload and give you the ability for foxes pretty much as far out as you can hit them.

p.s if your ticket has pest or vermin control on I'd just crack on and shoot foxes anyway.

Long shots across gusty valleys was the situation I faced and that was precisely why I got a .222

I'm very happy with it. Its too much gun for rabbits or crows really, but when the HMR can't reach or cope with the wind it steps in with ease giving me 300 yd range. Its got its limits of course, all calibres have. I've had it yaw in a tail wind, though it was an absolute gale. But in reasonable conditions when the HMR is drifting 6-8" at 150 yds or getting caught by gusts en-route the triple will nail it, which is ideal. And of course its perfect for foxes. And if you load your own, relatively inexpensive.

As for ticket wording, I'd never ask for species by name (unless I wanted a boar rifle). That's putting your FEO on the spot and you're inviting conditions. Ask for deer or vermin and keep life simple for you and him.

yup thats the thing with conditions will they specify good reason for a HMR as foxes and the answer in a lot of cases is no, however vermin or pest control opens the door which BASC have confirmed and advised all members. Its perfectly suitable at the correct range and works well if you are close.

I've had fox listed then they just left it as pests and I've not bothered to ask as I'm happy they are pests especially as the condition covers all my rifles

Edited by al4x

I'm a big fan of the little Hornet. The only reason I can think of to say the HMR would be better is if you shoot a lot of ammo because then the home loading gets a little boring. I swapped my HMR for a .22 Hornet a few years back and they are similar to shoot. There's a big difference at the quarry's end though, and the windage is better.

I now shoot a .17 Hornet but honestly don't know which of the two I prefer. Both beat the HMR for what I do.