How old to start training

Paul223

I would say around 6 months but it really does depend on the dog, I had a cocker who was as good as most 12 month old dogs at 6 months but my current cocker was not ready to even start serious training until she was 9 months the most immature pup I have ever had.

I start training at 12 weeks. I think the best way is to keep all training casual and casually progressive. A mistake that people make is they will mark a date on a calender of their dog being 6 months, 9 months, 12 months or whatever they have been persuaded the best age is and then change their behaviour, attitude and expectations of the dog to a more formal approach to "life".

Start as you mean to go on, the centre of training is fun and games, over time gently and gradually make the game more challenging and difficult, introducing a new rule that compliments the task.

Lee

Edited by lee-kinsman

I start training at 12 weeks. I think the best way is to keep all training casual and casually progressive. A mistake that people make is they will mark a date on a calender of their dog being 6 months, 9 months, 12 months or whatever they have been persuaded the best age is and then change their behaviour, attitude and expectations of the dog to a more formal approach to "life".

Start as you mean to go on, the centre of training is fun and games, over time gently and gradually make the game more challenging and difficult, introducing a new rule that compliments the task.

Lee

I don't think it can be put any better than that.

Lee

Yup, this. If I don't do anything with 8 mth old Molly training wise for even a couple of days she is quite literally climbing the walls. We only do a little bit now and then, interspersed with lessons to ensure we're keeping on the right tracks - and to keep her brain occupied. Nothing worse than a dog who isn't trained, spoilt and uncontrollable :P (@ Paul223 lol)

Plus, if you start training at 15 months (if you want to trial, that is) how on earth do you get them ready enough for puppy tests which they can only do up until 18months old without overloading them and blowing their brains and maybe ruining them in the process.

Just sayin', Paul223..... :) :)

Edited by bigbird

Yup, this. If I don't do anything with 8 mth old Molly training wise for even a couple of days she is quite literally climbing the walls. We only do a little bit now and then, interspersed with lessons to ensure we're keeping on the right tracks - and to keep her brain occupied. Nothing worse than a dog who isn't trained, spoilt and uncontrollable :P (@ Paul223 lol)

Plus, if you start training at 15 months (if you want to trial, that is) how on earth do you get them ready enough for puppy tests which they can only do up until 18months old without overloading them and blowing their brains and maybe ruining them in the process.

Just sayin', Paul223..... :) :)

:lol::rolleyes: 2+2 equals what?

About 12 - 16 months.

I wouldn't send a pup to a trainer for basics, I would send it for finishing so that what was trained and experienced by the dog had a chance to stick.

Is where my own train of thought lies

Ok, same question but now if you wanted to send your dog off to be professionally trained? I can't see many sending off their 8 week to 6 month old pup

Lee

that does not answer the question though Lee

Plus, if you start training at 15 months (if you want to trial, that is) how on earth do you get them ready enough for puppy tests)

Where does starting to train at 15 months get mentioned? The question was when would you send your dog to a trainer, not when do you start training.

Not sure how wanting to trial relates to puppy tests either? Tests are just that, enhanced training in my view. Working live game and being shot over are what is important is you're trialling.

:lol::rolleyes: 2+2 equals what?

Is where my own train of thought lies

that does not answer the question though Lee

Err yes it does you asked "at what age do you start your gundog training (not basic training ). And does that stands for labs, springers and cockers? I know what I think is right, just interested in what others think is the correct age".

I said, "12weeks" and then said that the training that I do is casual and casually progressive.

:whistling::lol:

Well thanks very much 'mate'

Please remember I'm a girl and boy joshing doesn't always sit well

Or is this your revenge for scaring the life out of the wee one showing him how well the remap worked?!?! lol

Edited by bigbird

Ok, same question but now if you wanted to send your dog off to be professionally trained? I can't see many sending off their 8 week to 6 month old pup

Ahhh just saw your other question, maybe that's the one you thought I didn't answer. Well, personally I wouldn't send any of my dogs to a trainer but I'd accept one anywhere from 14weeks to 2 years.

In my opinion don't get a pup if you intend to send it away for training get a part-trained/fully trained dog that aged 18months to 4years.

That's actually a good answer above and a good point with buying a part trained instead.

I'd not really send a dog away either for training but sending it later on (12+month) age does make sense, if i were u i would be gettin some 1-1 lessons as i trained the basics off the same trainer i intended to send it to, to try and make his life easier and both u the dog and trainer will be be on the same page and go along every so often to see how it's progressing but also to learn how to handle it aqnd get trained myself.

Bullet my pup is coming up to 8 months old and our trainer is saying in the next few weeks we will start and introduce a bit more and gradually increase the challenges we give him. he is already quite good quartering and hunting he is very good at a memory retrieve and he loves swimming too, he responds well to the whistle most of the time but is easily distracted he is still only young so a little leeway is given just yet but things are slowly getting more challenging and stricter for him :)