miroku trap or sporter

bobby t

hi considering getting a Mk38 trap or sporter with the teagues. i eally like the beaber tail foreend of the trap but like the fact the teagues are M/C. apart from the chokes 3/4 and full on the trap(would these be fine for sporting and allround pigeons) and stock dimensions of the trap gun, is there any difference, if im going to get the stock fitted any way than surely a trap stock wouldn't matter. also does anyone know if a local dealer could order a beavertail foreend to fit the sport teague model? thanks in advance.

bobby t

Bobby - I had the same dilemma. I like Miroku Trap Guns - I have a Browning GTI and a Miroku 3800 - both Trap models. Apart from the higher stock - it's the forend I prefer. If you find out about the forend, can you post reply. Depends where you are in the country. North West - stock made adjustable £85. I saw a forend - brand new recently on ebay - cheapish - I just didn't need it.

Bobby - I use Trap models for Sporting. Same weight as Sporters - just higher stock.

why are the trap stock dimensions different and do these dimensions have any advantages or disadvantages. i like the idea of M/C ut i currently shoot fixed chokes and it doesn't bother me but these are no where near as tight as a trap gun and i read that too tighter chokes can be a disadvantage, but i really like the beavertail foreends. i could afford it i would have the Browning 525 trap advance with the briely m/c but money just too tight for it.

main difference between the trap and sporter will be the stock and rib the stock being a flater comb and the rib being set higher giving a higher sight plane for rising targets.

Martin

does this mean that it will be a disadvantage against anaything other than trap birds or will alteration to the stock make it more suitable for pigeons and sporting. i think the ribs are the same height on all models. is 3/4 1/1 too tight for decoying and sporting, i know faulds etc shoot full extra full but these are exceptional shots. thanks in advance

there is no such thing as a gun which is a disadvantage in my opinion, it all depends how you like to shoot.

The idea being with a trap gun is that you will see more rib. This in effect means the bead (if you were to look at it) would have to be further under the rising target than a sporter. The reason this is an advantage in trap is that a sporter could blot out the target with the rib as they typically shoot quite flat.

However i shoot every discipline with a sporting gun as i find rib distracting. So i would actually find a trap gun a disadvantage.

Basically as with alot of things....... go for the one that feels right. If its possible shoot both guns and see which one suits better.

The mk38 is a great gun. I think AP Build on here shoots an MK38 with teagues.

I shoot a mk70 sporter with teagues (slightly different stock dimensions to the 38) and love it to bits.

if i were to see no rib or have the same view i would have on a sporter with a fitted stock on a trap gun , would this mean that it would in efect be a sporter style shooting gun but with beavertail foreend and very ttight chokes, what are your opions on the tight chokles nick for pigeos etc. much appriciated. also nick do you know if BWM will sell me a seperate beavertail foreend as a replacement part, or if a rfd would be able to order one. thanks.

bobby,

A lot of very good clay shots use Miroku 3800 Trap Guns, I used a 32" one myself for a couple of years and it worked OK for me.

I had the stock modified in length and drop, (very important, as it MUST fit you perfectly), and I had Teague chokes fitted.

You do not need tight chokes to kill Pigeons, over decoys 1/4 & 1/2 is plenty if used with a good quality 30gram load in shot size 6.

Cat.

browning might sell you one seperatly, however many of these parts will not swap over as easily as people might think. For example i shoot a mk70 sport (1 yr old) and my dad has a mk70 game (4yrs old) none of the parts fit the opposing gun well. My dads forend will nto fit mine as it has large dia. barrels for some reaosn. My forend fits loosely on his etc... etc...

If you wanted a trap forend it would have to be fitted. However i expect miroku would be able to do this, at a cost.

As for choking, it depends how close your taking the pigeons and if you want a food product at the end of it.

Full seems a little tight to me, but im not a big pigeon shooter by any strech of the imagination. It will be humaine and from that aspect there is no problem. Might not help you hit more though.

the reason they won't go too well together is because all jap made miroku brownings etc are assembled and jointed etc. by hand, this means any part that is made goes with the action or barrel of that same part, so any adjustment made to any part is amde to all compenents if that makes sense. but iif the foreend iron was removed and slotted ont a beavertail forend it would probably fit. i think. i normally take pigeons from the ide at about 35yards sometimes more sometimes less, i do eat the end proudct but a humane kill is still more important to me however i would still like to hit mroe. perhaps getting a trap barrel opened up to 1/2 1/2 for about £60 is a better option.

Bobby - you are right about the wood fitting. Any metalwork - well that does need fine tuning. I just had my GTi Trap opened up to 3/8 and 3/8 for Sporting. I have a Miroku Trap 3800 choked 1/2 and 3/4.

I also have a Classic Doubles 32" Trap Multichoke which I am selling. Multichokes are useful, but I keep worrying about whether I have the right chokes in. It's just a distraction. For 90% of my Sporting I would use the GTi. If I came accross a long distance clay, I might break out the 3800. I know that means carting two guns around, unless you have already looked at the layout. I did fancy a 525 Trap Briley, but same problem - which choke - which cartridge?

Fixed choke - only choice is Skeet cartridge for close-up clays or a trap shell. Probably best sticking to 8's for every clay.

You could try advertising a swap of forends - some people don't like beavertail forends.

if i were to get an adjustable stock mk38 and have the barrels opened up to say 1/2 3/4 or 1/2 1/2 does any one know what that might cost me i know roughly a £1000 for a trap mk38 but is an adjustable one a bit more? is there anyone there in the gun trade that knows if browning will sell me abeavertail foreend?

bobby, it sounds to me that you are thinking of buying a trap gun and then 'sporterising'

it i reckon you would be much better off buying a mk38 multi choke sporter as it will probaly be a far better all rounder and also will have a better resale value than a new gun that has been altered to much.you should not have too much trouble getting a trap fore end for it ask at a browning dealer.

plinker

• 2 months later...
  • 10 years later...