Landrover Series 2a 88" 1963 Tyres

Maidment78

Morning,

Just got my first series 2 and she is great fun already, been out on the local farm area and the grin factor of being bounced about but going over everything was brilliant. Only issue I have at the moment is that she has road biased tyres and these are fine at the moment as it is dry so not worried.

In a few months though it will be less dry and mud around us is going to be an issue so need a spare set of wheels for her.

I am new to the whole series tyre size and have been having a look for some alternatives, I want to keep her looking right so the thought of putting some larger grippy tyres on makes me shudder. So what to fit?

Current tyres are 205/R16 104 radials, I have seen a few others out there and I did like the look of the rangemasters but they are 7.5/16 so assume these are too big?

The other ones I quite liked are the 205/80R16 104S XL TL KUMHO KL78 but not sure what these are like,

Basically if anyone out there has any thoughts on this any info would be really handy as I am just getting to know the does and don'ts with this girl.

post-23648-0-65602400-1371107835_thumb.jpg

post-23648-0-47430700-1371107906_thumb.jpg

No 7.5x16 are the correct size. You have undersize on there atm, 205's are standard disco size, 7.5's are standard series and defender size as well as camel spec disco

Fraid you are wrong doc. 6.5s were standard shortwheel base tyre size on series and defenders.

7.5s were long wheel base tyre size!

looks like someone in the past fitted a 2 grille with lights on it as well as the wings with lights and then owner after has tried to make it look like a proper 2.

my gf has a series with the four lights on front as people liked messing with them, if I find her a set of proper series 2 panels I'll be swapping them over as its a 1962 series 2

my series 3 on the other hand will soon have no visible headlights :)

It was upgraded for some god unknown reason a long time ago to have a series 3 front on it, then in 1996 put back as well as the could to a 2, still has the series 3 front wing panels that I will remove and replace with series 2 in due course as the checker plate patches look rubbish.

Thanks for the advise, will start looking now, just started on the electrics as they are shot, this might take a while.