Primos Power Crow

davew

I'll have a practice over the weekend and have a go at the crows again next week. Shot 20 a couple of weeks ago but last week only 4 although I could hear them behind me and in some woods to my right, they seemed preoccupied with other things. Had 12 flocked decoys out and the 4 that I shot were really keen to come to them. Just getting myself rigged up for crows as I can't seem to find any pigeons at the moment.

you have to rasp thru it whilst saying caw, ive even used them to call foxes, if you hold the very end with your teeth and build up a bit of pressure then let it out repeat twice and you have a very good jackdaw "squawk" if you know how too. you can call a group of crows in and shoot a couple then turn em right back around and give em it again ive seen me and a friend get a group of young jackdaws in 3-4times and get the lot. if you have 2 people in a hide (me and fabarm spring to mind) then its dynamite! get going like its two crows fighting and they cant help them selves.

as good as dead

you have to rasp thru it whilst saying caw, ive even used them to call foxes, if you hold the very end with your teeth and build up a bit of pressure then let it out repeat twice and you have a very good jackdaw "squawk" if you know how too. you can call a group of crows in and shoot a couple then turn em right back around and give em it again ive seen me and a friend get a group of young jackdaws in 3-4times and get the lot. if you have 2 people in a hide (me and fabarm spring to mind) then its dynamite! get going like its two crows fighting and they cant help them selves.

as good as dead

on the money there fella, yep they worked well together had carrions come into range for long enough to get 32gr of 5 up there **** :lol:

practice is everything when using a caller, if it dont sound right it wont work! Iv practiced for weeks before i used mine in the feild! Iv got it sounding good now, but still takes experience to know how to use it and use the different calls! Dont be fooled into thinking once you have shot stop calling! Infact the opposite is needed when you get them wound up enough they will keep returning and give you a number of chances if you get them worked up they realy become suicidal ,but timing is the key! As eccles said he dont use a caller and still gets brilliant results but that guy realy knows his game! The situation has got to look right for a crow to comit, If its not the caller wont do diddly squat! Highseas and me had a brilliant day and the callers worked a treat but if you have shot enough crows you will know that no 2 days are the same and what worked well last week may fail to work the next time! the calls for crows go as the following COME HERE CALL: cawww cawww cawww 1-2sec pause and repeat once more:

FEEDING CALL caw cawwww 1-2sec pause and repeat: crows issue this call to alert other crows that food is available, often heard in conjunction with the come here call:

COME BACK CALL: caw caw cawww cawww 1-2sec pause and repeat once: crows use this call to call other passing birds:

FIGHTING CALL: cawww cawww caw caw cawww: crows use this call when they are close often used in conjunction with the come back call:

SENTRY CALL: cawww caw caw cawww:

This call is used to alert other crows that danger is present:

try these calls out and see how you get on! Remember get it to sound right first!

Atb

fabarm

on the money there fella, yep they worked well together had carrions come into range for long enough to get 32gr of 5 up there **** :lol:

practice is everything when using a caller, if it dont sound right it wont work! Iv practiced for weeks before i used mine in the feild! Iv got it sounding good now, but still takes experience to know how to use it and use the different calls! Dont be fooled into thinking once you have shot stop calling! Infact the opposite is needed when you get them wound up enough they will keep returning and give you a number of chances if you get them worked up they realy become suicidal ,but timing is the key! As eccles said he dont use a caller and still gets brilliant results but that guy realy knows his game! The situation has got to look right for a crow to comit, If its not the caller wont do diddly squat! Highseas and me had a brilliant day and the callers worked a treat but if you have shot enough crows you will know that no 2 days are the same and what worked well last week may fail to work the next time! the calls for crows go as the following COME HERE CALL: cawww cawww cawww 1-2sec pause and repeat once more:

FEEDING CALL caw cawwww 1-2sec pause and repeat: crows issue this call to alert other crows that food is available, often heard in conjunction with the come here call:

COME BACK CALL: caw caw cawww cawww 1-2sec pause and repeat once: crows use this call to call other passing birds:

FIGHTING CALL: cawww cawww caw caw cawww: crows use this call when they are close often used in conjunction with the come back call:

SENTRY CALL: cawww caw caw cawww:

This call is used to alert other crows that danger is present:

try these calls out and see how you get on! Remember get it to sound right first!

Atb

fabarm

cawww cawww cawww = there's a bloke down there that sounds like a duck :lol:

• 8 months later...

I got mine in the post today and I can't get a good sound out of it! Trying growling, huffing, you name it! I sound like a dying duck every time, if anyone has a very detailed explanation (for idiots) or a helpful video (I have tried looking,but mainly American crow calls) I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Ben

I got mine in the post today and I can't get a good sound out of it! Trying growling, huffing, you name it! I sound like a dying duck every time, if anyone has a very detailed explanation (for idiots) or a helpful video (I have tried looking,but mainly American crow calls) I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Ben

Keep practicing with it and you'll get it. Best one I've ever used by far.

Stick with it.

• 2 months later...

i have just bought one of these and i am also struggling with the method of how to sound like a crow any tips would be great.

im finding it had to say grr when blowing and if i try to blow loudly its like a kiddies party whistle where the tube rolls out.

do you blow softly or hard and do you cup hands or not

cheers

Lakeside calls. They're not cheap, but honestly, so much better both in terms of sound, build and results.

This afternoon I hid in the trees and followed Sam's advice on calling. Within 5 minutes I had jackdaws, rooks and magpies answering the calls and flying above me. No contest if you all me. The Primos just sounded rubbish to my ear and I couldn't get the hang of biting it to vary the tone.

So impressed am I that I'm getting the magpie caller next.

Edited by mick miller