WINTER RAPE

FACTORS GOVERNING WOODPIGEON BEHAVIOR DURING THE WINTER MONTHS

BY GARY WILSON PROFESSIONAL WOODPIGEON SHOOTING GUIDE

A few years ago while conducting reconnaissance before a days shoot over Winter Rape, I glassed through the binoculars a rare all white woodpigeon. The white woodie was feeding in amongst a large flock of other woodpigeon and it stood out like a sore thumb. Over several weeks, I tracked the movements of the white pigeon being able to spot it instantly. I learnt a great deal from the movements of that bird and was quite sad when it disappeared never to be seen again.

What was instantly apparent to me was although I was seeing large flocks of woodpigeon on the same fields daily, the white woodpigeon turned up anywhere, rarely was it seen on the same field on consecutive days. It was however spotted in what I call the same block of land nearly every day. Tracking the movements of the white woodpigeon over several weeks formulated a picture to me of the habits of pigeon during the winter months and I learnt some very important lessons in improving my chances of shooting a decent bag especially over Winter Rape.

A large commercial wood nearby has an estimated winter population of 5,000 woodpigeon. The wood is not shot and the birds flight to and from it daily with confidence. Several factors govern the daily movements of these resident birds.

During the short daylight hours of winter, the woodpigeon is on the move at first light. The main thing on their minds is where to get their stomach full for the day. A freezing night at roost has them feeling very hungry and keen to get on the wing.

The flocks will leave the wood on mass flighting directly down the wind. This offers them the least effort from flying in which to obtain food for the day. The first birds to make their move will determine in general where the rest will follow. A classic case of follow the leader. In addition, these first birds will have in their own minds where they are going to feed and this explains why woodpigeon do not turn up as expected on fields where they were seen the day before. One of the main reasons for this is the amount of food available to them (in my area they have the choice of literally hundreds of rape fields) Making detailed notes of these early morning movements will pay the pigeon shooter dividends, for example

Strong northerly wind = pigeon leave the wood on the southern side and feed on fields A, B, and C

Westerly wind = pigeon leave the wood on the eastern side and feed on fields D, E, and F

Your notes will be the key to your future success and these notes will stand true year after year even though the Rape fields change position slightly every year.

Another very useful aid to the aspiring pigeon shooter is the Barometer. During open weather, pigeons tend to be lazy and fickle in their feeding habits. A sharp fall in the barometer (which the woodpigeon has detected along time before we have) will see the birds feeding with a sense of urgency, in effect storing up energy prior to bad weather and non favourable feeding conditions. Alternatively, a break in the weather after a prolonged bad spell (Barometer rises sharply) will also see the woodpigeon out in force replenishing depleted energy levels after a period of poor feeding conditions. Take note of the Barometer readings they will give you an accurate picture of the best times to look for feeding woodpigeon and also the best days to have a go at them.

Large decoy patterns should certainly be used during the winter months when shooting over rape. The birds are very used to seeing large flocks in tightly packed areas. A pattern of 100 decoys would not be too many. Large decoy patterns instil confidence and in turn signal to the newcomer to the pattern that this is a good feed area. Remember to keep the killing area clear.

GET YOUR DECOYS NOTICED Dead birds should be mounted on cradles a few inches above the rape. The same with plastics, use the pegs and get the decoys well above the crop. A few floaters at the head of the pattern will add contrast to the overall picture and help to get the pattern seen.

Remember, during the winter decoying time is limited. If the day is not going according to plan, then move to another location. Be flexible, when in doubt consult your notes. The woodpigeon is a creature of habit and provided you have done the correct groundwork success can just about be certain and blank days will be rare.