fat_jay

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive never bled as much as some of you guys are decribing :oops:

I liked my DE Safty razor but the Mach 3 just does such a better job for me but what has transformed my shaving is the use of pres shave oil from "the art of shaving" its great and makes a good protective barrier. Also enjoying there saving foam !

ATB

Matt

Also, how long should a decent badger hair brush last before it starts moulting all over the place? Good ones are not cheap!

First brush lasted about a decade. They tend to moult in the middle and it's not worth having them re-bristled unless its an ivory handled affair. I replaced it at Trumpers with a decent badger, but not the silly super-duper, king-sized, ultra silver-tipped brush, on the basis it will need replacing in due course.

• 2 months later...

After years of irritation and cuts using a hydro razor i have received my edwin jagger de68 am excited about my using it!! Any stand recommendations with bowls???

If i dont post again can somone call my wife to check on me on 0131 xxxxxxxx lol

I generally use a Crabtree and Eve, but the mrs bought me a l'occitane soap and its superb.

What blades have you got?

I've saved a fortune, I bought 100 feather blades for little, the shave is better, I save money and the whole experience is great.

I AM ALIVE!!! I got 5 derby blades free so will use them or allow myself to get used to them. I read on one of the forum links that feathers are great.

Mum got me wilkinson sword soap and it doesnt seem to lather too much but may be my technique so will use it and then get an alternative. Loved the whole experience and look forward to experimenting with different things.

I AM ALIVE!!! I got 5 derby blades free so will use them or allow myself to get used to them. I read on one of the forum links that feathers are great.

Mum got me wilkinson sword soap and it doesnt seem to lather too much but may be my technique so will use it and then get an alternative. Loved the whole experience and look forward to experimenting with different things.

Good on you, derby blades are 'ok', just ok, feather are a different experience, they cut well, but they do cut skin very efficiently too.

I've not tried wilkinson soap, but you may have had the brush too wet.

It takes the boredom out of shaving eh? You'll reap the rewards once you're used to it, you'll never look back!

i got 100 feather blades of amazon, they give a nice smooth shave, i usually change the blade after 2 shaves. i do have one of those razor bed sharpener things but not too impressed with it.

There is no need for one, that's the point, reverse the razor each stroke or so. Then throw away.

I'll never go back.

I use a DE with either Feather I also bought 100 or Personna blue also good and last longer than the feather. If I let my beard grow a bit I use a shavette from Miraki and use there blades as well Japanese and sharp as feather are.

Cream soap is Taylor's or Trumpers both good with a nice Taylor's Badger brush.

Figgy

I like the Bodyshop shaving bowl/soap, not the cheapest but lathers well. It's also available in a tube for when on holiday, it too spreads on well even without a brush.

Double edge safety razor

Good lather of shaving cream with shaving brush apply to face and work in to stubble to soften stubble

Then the 3 pass rule shave with the grain reapply soar and shave a cross grain reapply soap shave against the grain rinse face with cold water leave face dry apply good post shave moisturiser

Leaves you with that smooth as a baby's bottom result

• 1 month later...

Well I just treated myself to a disposable bladed cut throat razor !

And now am bricking it, hopefully first shave with it won't be my last ! Lol

Hope you have a roll of toilet paper on standby and an alum pen.

Good luck. :)

Edited by welsh1