Pike fishing

roadkill

HI

IT MAY BE A BIT OF FURTHER THAN YOU WANT TO TRAVEL BUT IV'E BEEN TO THE WITHAM AT SOUTHREY OVER HALF A DOZEN TIMES AND NEVER BLANKED.

NO ONE EVER COMES FOR THE DAY TICKET MONEY, ITS NEXT TO A PUB AND PARKING ON THE RIVER BANK.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT.

GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHERE YOU GO AND HOW YOU GET ON

CHEERS

CROCKET

The midlands AWA Trout resrvoirs are all still open for Pike fishing, some awesome potential if you have the gear to fish the right methods.

Check out the link below maybe ?

Anybody fancy a boat partner for a midweek session drop me a line (no pun intended) ;-)))

http://www.anglianwaterleisure.co.uk/

Whoops, just checked it out and it looks like boat fishing finished end of November, you can bank fish for Pike at Pitsford until the end of December by the look of it. Given how mild it is it could be worth travelling light with a lure rod and some hefty lures. Deepish divers around the Cliffs, Gorse Bank and Brixworth Bay areas worth a try, might be worth a few casts of the point of Bog Bay.

Salmo Perch, Sliders, big silver spoons, Zoota Sprogs, and Bulldawgs all worth a go, might be tempted to have a day myself if the mild weather holds. Been a bit of colour in the water recently due to heavy rain.

Could be worth trying some shallow lures if the trout are up near the surface fry bashing. Haven't seen this activity much this season around the bank, perhaps the low water levels are partly to blame ? Most of the fry seem to have been congregated in the main bowl of the reservoir and some good fish have come from the middle.

• 2 weeks later...
you fellas should come to Canada the fishing here is well probably the best in the world 8lb pike is common size :lol:

Norfolk broads in England the double figures are common and into the 30s are caught most days too.

I saw a 15 year old lad take a nice health 37lb one from the back of the Broom boat yard :lol:

I wouldn't mind so much but he was only tackled up for 10 mins and i had been there for 3 hours i got a 9lb and a 16lb and this jammy litle so n so hooks straight into the big ones :)

LG

you fellas should come to Canada the fishing here is well probably the best in the world 8lb pike is common size :good:

Norfolk broads in England the double figures are common and into the 30s are caught most days too.

I saw a 15 year old lad take a nice health 37lb one from the back of the Broom boat yard :oops:

I wouldn't mind so much but he was only tackled up for 10 mins and i had been there for 3 hours i got a 9lb and a 16lb and this jammy litle so n so hooks straight into the big ones :good:

LG

The piking is really good on the broads at he moment. You would have been talking about brooms at Brundall presumably? We had a salt water surge a few weeks back that put a lot of fish in jeopardy and killed a few. Thankfully it was minor and the broads is on top form.

The northern broads and rivers have been fishing very well for pike, especially around wroxham and horning.

I saw a 15 year old lad take a nice health 37lb one from the back of the Broom boat yard :oops:

I wouldn't mind so much but he was only tackled up for 10 mins and i had been there for 3 hours i got a 9lb and a 16lb and this jammy litle so n so hooks straight into the big ones :good:

LG,

He either got very lucky, or he knows the layout under the water.

I have never fished the drains but I have seen them many times and they are so featureless I wouldn't know where to start, so like most people I would take pot luck.

A complete novice friend of mine hooked into a 19lb pike within seconds, litteraly, of tackling up a few years ago. I placed him where I knew there was a possibilty of a fish, just looking at the flow of water below a weir.

The 2 blokes that had been there all night freezing their nuts off and caught SFA weren't very impressed but they had just 'chucked and chanced' a lump of mackrel, and not thought it through properly :good:

Yes I have had a similar problem with hook removal. No forceps or disgorger to hand. :good: If I could upload a video off my phone to here of me wrestling with a pike and then having to hold its mouth open with a bike pump so I could remove the hooks safely before releasing it then the World would be a funnier place. :good: But I can't. :lol:

FM :oops:

You shouldnt even attempt to pike fish unless you are equipped and able to deal with them imho. I always used to carry three different sized pairs of forceps,wire cutters and a good sized unhooking mat. Old esox deserves as much respect as any carp.. They are real easy to unhook with practice.

I also always used a 'proper' pike landing net the type with tougher mesh than the carp variety as ive seen many needless injuries inflicted on pike by inexperienced anglers, mainly people who land fish with 'flying' trebles which often become entangled in the soft mesh of 'carp' mesh and rip out of the pikes mouth causing injuries.

I often used to hand land pike whenever possible if a flying treble was present but i definatley wouldnt reccommend this to novice anglers :good:

I think PM meant "if you don't land him, how do you remove the hook" :good:

Pin

We usually use a SINGLE hook when Pike fishing (Dead baiting) as i really don't like Trebles IF they get caught in the gullet.

I use a LARGE single hook through a dead bait mouth then through the back and tied to the hook with a tad twine. The Moment the float goes i strike and it has done great!

When the fish gets to the side i simply grip the hook shank with the Long nose pliers or Forceps and twist up and over and the fish just drops off and in MOST cases i don't need to remove it from the water.

Less stress for us both :good:

ALL my Rapalla - Mean etc lures had the BARBS nipped off also not only does it aid in removing the trebles from the fish but ALSO stops you getting them snagged in the landing net if you use it.

LG

Same as above, Barbed trebles are more trouble than they are worth both for the fish and for me, not only do I get them stuck in the net but also in my jacket and bags.

If I am fishing where I can get to the water via a slope and the pike is hooked nicely in the lips then I chin the pike and slip the lure out, obviously if it can't be done my net and unhooking mat are already set up.

I only fish for pike using lures.

This pike was unexpected and I'm suprised I managed to land it as I wasn't using a trace. I had waded in under a bridge and was fishing for chub with bread. A bleak took the bait and as I was reeling it in and about to lift it out the water a pike took the fish. My pike handling stuff was half a mile further round the bank with my Dad. The hook was only in the corner of the mouth so when my friend held the pikes mouth open and held it still the barbless hook came out quite easily. :good:

FM :good:

I caught a jack on a 3 metre whip whilst landing a small dace back in the summer.

No net, no pliers, no forceps, line of about 2lb breaking strain - I have never been so glad to see line bitten through :good:

Getting back to how do you unhook (and I got the joke) we only use single hooks when boat fishing so the pike if it isn't a monster can be unhooked without leaving the water or even being touched. We just use long nose pliers to twist the hook out. The pike then lay there not knowing what to do, before realising they are free and darting off!

Last winter whilst fishing for bream, roach or perch with a worm on a 16's hook and probably 3 lb line , I watched my tip slowly move round, so I struck and then thought that I was stuck on the bottom. Then it took off moving sideways and then the pike did a tail walk.

I took my time and got it in. I had to shout three lads next to me to get their net and land it and unhook it for me as I wasn't expecting to get a pike. It was about five pounds. The lads were all deadbaiting and did'nt manage to hook a fish all session and I got a bonus pike.

It all took place on Anglezarke resevoir near Bolton

I also find cutting one of the hook legs off to create Double hooks instead of trebles works quite well also i cut the leg that sits flush on the lure body leaving the 2 which are angled down to do their work.

I also do a spot of fishing in Dumfries and Galloway on a small lake with a lodge on it. They have been more Jacks than Pike though the largest there was around 8lb but my Friand caught a double figure there.

LG

I fished the Three Rivers nr Beccles on a dropping tide just below the Lock and got a nice 21lb female. Tried theYare but didn't think using 6Oz grip leads againest the rising/falling tide was conducive to good coarse fishing.

Broom Pits is good too.

Lily/Lady Broad is nice.

Eelsfoot...

Wavney River is good too.

Suffolk Water Park is good for fish, but not cheap.

Fritton Decoy Lake if you can persude the boat owner to get up early enough for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Try Patsull Park, in W.Mids. You will need to hire a boat to fish lures, so the total cost is about 20 rats. Plenty of doubles in there. The office will sell you trout live baits too. You could try chasewater if you want to pick your way around the syringes. Get some waders on and you will catch aload of jacks around the dams. There are a few snags around the far dam. Sq burts, sandras and jerkbaits have worked well for me in the summer. If you get bored - give the canal basin a go as that tends to produce.

I once foul hooked a 12lb pike on a float rod and 6lb line on the broads - that was interesting. :lol:

Hey there red_stag88, nice to see you posting again.

Are we still banned on the School's PC's, or have you broken the code ? :good:

I fished Patshulls Park lake for a month, back in the early 70's (by private invitation) and caught some large carp (up to 25lb).

There are certainly large pike in the lake, we caught fish up to 20lb and that was before any trout were put in there.