Very important man decision

oscarsdad

Chaps, over the the combined knowledge of PW...

I bought my house about 2 years ago and the time has come to bite the bullet and replace the shed.

The existing shed is 12' x 6' but was extended by the previous (muppet) owner using what appears to be chipboard - so it is damp and soggy and the roof is sagged on the extension...to repair it would be throwing good money after bad so it will have to go.

My requirements for my new shed are:

The same size as existing one

Electricity and lighting (as per existing one)

Not damp and leaking!

Secure (within reason so against the opportunist thief really)

I want to put the (condenser) tumble drier back in there as well as the existing freezer and fridge when I have the kitchen done and replace them with a American fridge freezer thing.

So, my question is, metal, wood or plastic? Overlap, tongue and groove? Etc....this is my first shed purchase so would like the advice of the men of shed on here please!

I don't mind assembling it myself, I have a sparkie who can make the existing electrics safe and then re-fit them for me but does anyone know of a good place to buy the shed?

Budget is really £600 max for the shed. There is already a concrete paving slab base under the existing shed.

Many thanks!

Anthony

Pressure treated Tounge and groove of a decent thickness (8 mm minimum) Coat it with loads of preservative before you put it up, inside and out, and lay a few strips of DPC along the bits which sit in contact with the floor. This will stop it rotting away for years.

Make sure that the base is really level or you will forever struggle to shut the door (Dont ask how i know!!)

£600 should be easily doable for a bought in one, or build your own for the same money with better materials. Have a think about insulating it with some foam boards and then sheeting the insides out. Will be a benefit when the winter rolls round.

Have fun.

build your own one....make a plan.....go to a timber yard and talk with the sawer...as said in previous replies you will get more for your money.......oh and one other thing................make it as big as possible.....cause once you start to use it , you will say to yourself ..."i wish that was a foot wider or 3 foot longer !!

get the yard to fresh cut featherboard for you, dont be fixed on the size as the yard might have a load of seasoned planks from a previous order they couldnt sell.......

up your budget to around £800/900 and go for 10ft x 8ft shipping container used but good condition then paint it in nato green and job done :good:

you can put a sloped roof on it for around £30 if your bothered

Edited by maxus77

You could make something of a similar size out of single skin blocks for that sort of money. I would talk to some local builders - avoid big companies with big overheads for cost reasons.

I had my last one built to a similar spec out of re-barred and concrete filled 9" hollows (bomb proof pretty much) for a similar cost to your budget. Once it's done it's done, it will last for many years and will never need painting. If you can go a bit over budget now it will save you spending your £800 again for another rotting time bomb at a later date.

I've built timber sheds in past and the cost always surprises my a bit.

Are not not almost as cheap to build a block shed using 4" solids, if u can do the work urself u wont be that far away cost wise and a far end up with a far better shed.. Althou a bit off extra work concreteing base and founds. Don't think i'd build a bother building timber shed again (unless its to come down) block all the way

I see njc beat me to it, but ideal job for a 1 man band or evening job for someone, but really not that hard to do ur self with a bit off common sense

Edited by scotslad

What are the planning obligations on materials other than wood?

Several suggestions have been made of either pre-cast concrete or various types of solid or open blocks.

Surely a "HARD" structure like that would be subject to approval, whereas a wooden one wouldn't!

What are the planning obligations on materials other than wood?

Several suggestions have been made of either pre-cast concrete or various types of solid or open blocks.

Surely a "HARD" structure like that would be subject to approval, whereas a wooden one wouldn't!

Do I need planning permission for a storage container?

Storage containers are non-permanent so in most cases not. However if the storage container is going to be in a residential area, near a road junction, or likely to cause complaints from neighbours, we recommend you check with your local planning authorities.

Edited by maxus77

Thanks for the advice chaps, a shipping container is a no no as couldn't crane one in to there and the garden is too small.

I would love to build my own but being realistic I would simply not have the time to do it, I can put together something that's delivered in bits but more than that is probably not going to happen.

I have my builders here at the moment finishing off the new bathroom so. Will ask them about a brick one, but as has been pointed out I am not sure on planning regs - I like the idea though as could even put a sink and taps in it then for cleaning fish and game!

Anthony

That seems to suggest a brick outbuilding would be ok

Having re read the op,wood is deffo the way to go.use your own time to buy more materials.What is your location?

I am between Solihull and Coventry

In scotland u can actually build up to about 30 sq m garage (ie double garage without planning) not sure if same in eng or if it changes region by region. Ur bricky will be more clued up.

If u can get someone on the side will make it cheaper for u and very little to go wrong so don't need the same insurance guarantee of workmanship that u would want with a new bathroom so going with a repuatable company

I would defo seriously think about a block one even make it a bit/lot bigger (an extra 18" wider is only the price of roughly 24 exra blocks, so not really that much) as ur going to have to lay a new slab anyway, and put water and sink even washing machine in there.

Really handy having an outside sink like that for butchering deer and game

Thanks for the advice chaps, a shipping container is a no no as couldn't crane one in to there and the garden is too small.

I would love to build my own but being realistic I would simply not have the time to do it, I can put together something that's delivered in bits but more than that is probably not going to happen.

I have my builders here at the moment finishing off the new bathroom so. Will ask them about a brick one, but as has been pointed out I am not sure on planning regs - I like the idea though as could even put a sink and taps in it then for cleaning fish and game!

Anthony

That seems to suggest a brick outbuilding would be ok

Always write to your local planning authority with sizes and position and get their reply in writing :good:

I recently bought a Dog Kennel from Duchy Farm and by look of it their sheds are the same framework etc. I was very impressed with the quality of it and I built it myself and all went together very well and everything lined up which is always a good sign. If i need a shed or anything in the future i will use them again and customer service was excellent.