.221 Fireball info?

Hey guys. Who here shoots a .221 Fireball? As usual I have a bit of a gun itch, think I want one. I've done the Hornet and .223, shot a .222 a lot. I fancy a change. So, a worthy try do you think? I've been looking at load data and the powder capacity seems to run start loads at about the max of the Hornet. It can handle full length 40gr bullets which I think can sometimes be an advantage.

All in all it's a pointless change from the Hornet and the .223, but why not? I like change!

Hey guys. Who here shoots a .221 Fireball? As usual I have a bit of a gun itch, think I want one. I've done the Hornet and .223, shot a .222 a lot. I fancy a change. So, a worthy try do you think? I've been looking at load data and the powder capacity seems to run start loads at about the max of the Hornet. It can handle full length 40gr bullets which I think can sometimes be an advantage.

All in all it's a pointless change from the Hornet and the .223, but why not? I like change!

That's what I am going for mate instead of re chambering the hornet :)

Have a look at the .20 vartarg aswell :)

Edited by Amazed

I had one which i gave to my dad as a birthday gift. I understand the 'itch', but given what you have and what you used, this wouldn't scratch much. It is just as loud as the 222, the action isn't any shorter, it is more expensive to load for than the hornet but doesn't give you anything much more useful (aside from the ability to use 40's easily, which the 222 can do easily). There just isn't a good place for it.

Mine was a cz and shot great. I loaded it wiih 40's and a hot load of lil gun which i think was around 16-16.5 grains, but don't rely on my memory for that one. It would shoot 1/2" at 3300 fps which is a nice load.

If you have an itch to scratch, i would go 20 vartarg. When i gt back to the US i will be building some combination of 17-222, 20-222, or 20 vartarg, possibly all three on a savage with different barrels.

Thanks

Rick

Part of the attraction was that it was developed as a pistol round. I like chopping my carry gun down to silly short lengths, and the .17H isn't going to like being made any shorter.

I may still go back to .22H - I've got a lot of time for that little round.

Part of the attraction was that it was developed as a pistol round. I like chopping my carry gun down to silly short lengths, and the .17H isn't going to like being made any shorter.

I may still go back to .22H - I've got a lot of time for that little round.

That's what has drawn me to it too pal, it's the highest pressure pistol round ever made :)

I like it as most of the componants are the same as the hornet but it has more legs :) have to be a build job though hard to find will see what the pennies have to say later on in the year ;)

Am still on the edge on weather to go 221 or 20 vartarg :/

All the best.

Karl

IF and it is a big if! The 221 will lob a 50grn plus nice n steady easily wmr area and easily sub sonic with better case life.

To look for something more from it is folly.

It will be slightly easier than hornt to reload having slight thicker brass and inherently willing to be accurate.

U.

Best to stick with 40/45 grain and keep the velocity.

But it's quite capable.

LoadID 11173

Bullet Hornady V-Max moly

BulletWeight 50 grs

Powder Hodgdon Lil'Gun

PowderWeight 15 grs

Primer CCI BR-4

Brass Make Remington

Barrel Length 22 (inches)

C.O.L 1.94 (inches)

Velocity 3200 fps

Group 0.25 (inches by 3 shot at 100 yds)

Submitted Date 6/23/2006 4:04:00 PM

Submitted By Fireball10x

Gun Info Remington 700 lvsf

Comment Very accurate

Energy 1134 ft-lbs

TKO 5.07

OGW 123 lbs

IPSC PF 160