kill zone

bongaanie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need to set up so that all areas are shootable, not just the middle of your horse shoe shape,

I would normally pace 30yds from the hide, then start putting out deeks back towards the hide, in that horse shoe pattern, that way, anything comes down near to a deek, its do-able

today I went out and set up in a horse shoe shape with a good size area in the middle but the pigeons land on the edge on the right hand side is this normal can anyone help on this matter

It sounds like your pattern isn't wide enough, I've experienced this and found that making the 2 sides of the pattern to be at least 25+ yards apart, It gives landing birds plenty of room. Try using the comma type pattern if it happens again, have a few decoys in 1 patch and then make a rough ark with the rest. It seems to direct the birds better than a standard horseshoe shape.

personally I don,t really bother if birds come right in up the middle of a certain pattern if they come within 50 yards they are shootable with right choke and carts in the gun, that's how to build a bag by taking on the rangier birds as well as the ones that do come straight in at 25 30 yards away

personally I don,t really bother if birds come right in up the middle of a certain pattern if they come within 50 yards they are shootable with right choke and carts in the gun, that's how to build a bag by taking on the rangier birds as well as the ones that do come straight in at 25 30 yards away

The OP sounds like a starter (apologies if I'm mistaken) so shooting birds 50 yards out may not be the best advice!

It sounds like your pattern isn't wide enough, I've experienced this and found that making the 2 sides of the pattern to be at least 25+ yards apart, It gives landing birds plenty of room. Try using the comma type pattern if it happens again, have a few decoys in 1 patch and then make a rough ark with the rest. It seems to direct the birds better than a standard horseshoe shape.

I disagree. Pigeons will land where they want. There are certain things you can do to try and get them closer, but sometimes they will just head for a certain place.

The OP could try bringing the right hand leg of the decoys closer, so that if the birds are still landing on the edge of it, they'll be well in range.

Lots of the experienced guns ( I'm not one) will talk about the horseshoe pattern and presumably with good reason.

Personally I have used the comma style (or two if you have enough decoys) and have also tried an M shape and also a W shape.

they seem to work for me in bringing the birds in ( hitting them is a different story).

I don't claim to be experienced but I have found that what works one day might not work the next , there are so many variables such as wind , position of hide, flight lines, type of crop , time of day, last time you had a bacon sarnie etc etc etc.

Half the "fun" is in the experimenting with different styles of set up and kit you are using , flappers,magnets ,fold up decoys ,shell decoys etc etc.

All in all it seems best to remember that they are wild birds and the reason I enjoy it is because every day you go out is different from the last time and the next.

Good Luck

I am afraid it all a game of trial and error with pigeon , sometimes you need to move the decoys about a few time in a day .

As Motty said it may be worth bringing them closer or sometimes its possible to get the birds closer by moving the decoys out !

I personally dont get too hung up on getting the birds into a particular spot or "kill zone" I just decide if the decoys are working by if the birds are coming close enough for a shot.

The OP sounds like a starter (apologies if I'm mistaken) so shooting birds 50 yards out may not be the best advice!

good point, I should of gone into more detail ie you never get every single bird that enters the field off a flightline come straight into decoys,and put on a plate for yer you will get birds passing overhead,skirting round the decoys and passing wide of them on a typical day so if you can take them out as well as the decoyed birds you can swell the bag by the end of the day

If the wind is to my back then I use a U shape but if it is to the side then I use a Comma. Just make sure there is 25+ yards between the side of the U or the edge of the coma. Must admit the comma works better if in the middle of the field as they are not looking at you when landing but their mates. I found with a U shape they are coming at you and seem to be more nervous as a hide is never that convincing in the middle of a field esp if it has just sprung up that morning.

If the wind is to my back then I use a U shape but if it is to the side then I use a Comma. Just make sure there is 25+ yards between the side of the U or the edge of the coma. Must admit the comma works better if in the middle of the field as they are not looking at you when landing but their mates. I found with a U shape they are coming at you and seem to be more nervous as a hide is never that convincing in the middle of a field esp if it has just sprung up that morning.

Remember, pigeons are pretty stupid and take little notice of hides.

good point, I should of gone into more detail ie you never get every single bird that enters the field off a flightline come straight into decoys,and put on a plate for yer you will get birds passing overhead,skirting round the decoys and passing wide of them on a typical day so if you can take them out as well as the decoyed birds you can swell the bag by the end of the day

:good::good::good:

Lets get this right every pigeon within two feet of exactly where you want them ? , I have seen some great tips on here , I have also read the biggest load of tripe on occasions , your post falls into the later category

Read Archie coats book on pigeon shooting and you will understand how to make a pattern up. I have now learnt how to get every pigeon to go EXACTLY (give or take a foot or 2) where I want every time. Don't get tide up on all these patterns like a horse shoe or a V

+1 best book to read about patterns ect

Lets get this right every pigeon within two feet of exactly where you want them ? , I have seen some great tips on here , I have also read the biggest load of tripe on occasions , your post falls into the later category

Lol you believe what you want, it's happened on 5 different days in a row now. I've got to be honest, I set it up for the birds to roughly go in to a area and then they come in exactly the same place all day.

Maybe I made it sound wrong. I can get them to fly to exactly the same place in a predetermined kill area.

In Archie coats book, he talks of pigeon feed etiquette. Pigeons will over fly a group of their friends and then land.

Also the only tip I gave was to read Archie's book, so how is that a load of tripe Edited by Gilberts1989

Lol you believe what you want, it's happened on 5 different days in a row now. I've got to be honest, I set it up for the birds to roughly go in to a area and then they come in exactly the same place all day.

Maybe I made it sound wrong. I can get them to fly to exactly the same place in a predetermined kill area.

In Archie coats book, he talks of pigeon feed etiquette. Pigeons will over fly a group of their friends and then land.

Also the only tip I gave was to read Archie's book, so how is that a load of tripe

I dont recall saying the tip you gave was tripe Archie Coates book is excellent if a little dated .

I said the fact you reckon that you can get EVERY pigeon within TWO FEET of where you want them was tripe and I will stand by that statement.

Edited by fenboy

I was out two days ago (Recon) when I found that a pea field had two/three hundred pigeon on it.

This field is unshootable as the road goes around two sides of it and it backs onto the nature reserve.

I started clapping my hands at the pigeon about twelve feet away...nothing.....I got back in the car and blew the car horn very loadly...nothing.

Not a single pigeon would move off that field....I wanted them all to move on to a place I could get a shot at them....in the end I just gave in.

They can be a stupid animal but they had a good feed of peas while I drove away empty handed.

We are told that we must have a good hide, keep quiet, shiney guns are bad, have a good back drop, wear a hat and good camo gear....the list goes on.

Just go out and enjoy the ones you hit, and come back for the ones you miss....good company should always come before a good bag, if you have that your day is never wasted.

I will film it on Sunday. I use 24 half shells in such away the pigeons over fly the to where I want them. I use a AA decoy flapper slightly off Center of the kill area with my new home made landing cradle at the back left of the far group of deeks. I then have a home bouncer rod with a deek with foam wings about 50 yards away, again so it looks like its comming into the left group of deeks.

I don't care if people don't believe me, I'm sure people didn't believe that plastic pigeons would fool real ones at one point

I was out two days ago (Recon) when I found that a pea field had two/three hundred pigeon on it.

This field is unshootable as the road goes around two sides of it and it backs onto the nature reserve.

I started clapping my hands at the pigeon about twelve feet away...nothing.....I got back in the car and blew the car horn very loadly...nothing.

Not a single pigeon would move off that field....I wanted them all to move on to a place I could get a shot at them....in the end I just gave in.

They can be a stupid animal but they had a good feed of peas while I drove away empty handed.

We are told that we must have a good hide, keep quiet, shiney guns are bad, have a good back drop, wear a hat and good camo gear....the list goes on.

Just go out and enjoy the ones you hit, and come back for the ones you miss....good company should always come before a good bag, if you have that your day is never wasted.

Lol I shoot in a light blue t shirt. I was told when I first started that not one bit of skin can be shown... What a load of ****. As long as the hide is up to scratch, which I'm lucky to have Semi perm ones up that have over grown on the out side.

I dont recall saying the tip you gave was tripe Archie Coates book is excellent if a little dated .

I said the fact you reckon that you can get EVERY pigeon within TWO FEET of where you want them was tripe and I will stand by that statement.

Does sound a load of ********** to me as well! Getting them to decoy is hard sometimes but to within 2 feet!!! Cloud cuckoo land!

Mind if the theory works and is proven then I am sure lots on here will be mighty impressed and the 'idea' should be published!!