kill zone

bongaanie

I will film it on Sunday. I use 24 half shells in such away the pigeons over fly the to where I want them. I use a AA decoy flapper slightly off Center of the kill area with my new home made landing cradle at the back left of the far group of deeks. I then have a home bouncer rod with a deek with foam wings about 50 yards away, again so it looks like its comming into the left group of deeks.

I don't care if people don't believe me, I'm sure people didn't believe that plastic pigeons would fool real ones at one point

Well I'm prepared to wait for your video, I'm always willing to learn! :good:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm prepared to wait for your video, I'm always willing to learn! :good:

Yes me too , If you can put a unedited video up of you shooting for a whole day with every bird coming to the same 2 foot spot I will make a £20 donation to the charity of your choice .

If you fail then you can give £20 to mine , sounds fair ??

Yes me too , If you can put a unedited video up of you shooting for a whole day with every bird coming to the same 2 foot spot I will make a £20 donation to the charity of your choice .

I will do the same and eat my hat but it has to be a decent bag its no good if only half a dozen pigeons come all day

It's going to be hard to do it for a whole day as I will be on my own. I will do a few of them landing in the same place but I'm afraid I won't be able to shoot if filming. Why do you want to see the bag size, surely you just want to see them comming in where I want them to come every time.

I'm not expecting a big bag as someone has been out on them every day this week roost shooting, hopefuly that hasn't affected them in the mornings

Due to an irregular betting pattern, William Hill has suspended betting on the outcome of this challenge.......it seems someone placed a £20 bet on Gilberts1989 to win……best of luck mate.

Over the years I have lost a great deal of my hard earned cash to Fenboy….it will be nice to see him loose for a change so I’m with you on this one.

You are lucky Gilbert1989 the last bet I lost to Fenboy had me dressed as a Female Ballet Dancer in a white tutu on a roost shoot.

The wife has stopped talking to me after I promised 'never to ever bet with Fenboy again' this was over being stopped at Stansted airport in May this year while flying out to Turkey with 100 12 bore cartridges in my case.....we were both strip searched and missed the flight.....he may have been right on that occasion but it wont last.

Edited by The Ghost

I will film it on Sunday. I use 24 half shells in such away the pigeons over fly the to where I want them. I use a AA decoy flapper slightly off Center of the kill area with my new home made landing cradle at the back left of the far group of deeks. I then have a home bouncer rod with a deek with foam wings about 50 yards away, again so it looks like its comming into the left group of deeks.

I don't care if people don't believe me, I'm sure people didn't believe that plastic pigeons would fool real ones at one point

Got to agree with Fenboy. You're talking rubbish. You may be able to get pigeons into a certain area on a certain field, but there's no way you can get them all to land within 2ft of where you want. When i shot my bag of 176 a fortnight ago, a fair few pigeons landed amongst the decoys. They came in 6s and 10s to land at times. Though they decoyed very well, and they came where i wanted (to the decoys) they didn't all come to exactly the same spot. If you can get birds to do that, i will call you the pigeon god,Gilberts.

I am afraid that I am not experienced enough in the art of decoying to give a definitive statement. However if all of the pigeons coming into the field I was shooting came within 50m of my hide (and therefore 20-25m of my pattern) I would be well pleased.

Yes directing birds after moving deeks about into a rough kill zone, but to direct them precisely would require treat training :D....Maybe that's it! He is using female pigeon "slut" decoys?

Gilbert,

If it helps mate, I see from the map that you shoot on Thorney Island, West Sussex. I live just the other side of Emsworth. I`d be happy to come and hold the camera for you for half a day. Alternatively,I could shoot and you could film. Whichever works best. I`m open to suggestions.

Gilbert,

Forgot to mention mate, I understand that you shoot on a secure military base where access is strictly regulated.

As it happens, I belong to the Chichester Wildfowlers which means that I already have an access permit so I can meet up with you at pretty much any time at your convenience.

I`ve been shooting for forty years and I`m looking forward to learning something new.

I'm sorry for all those I promised to share a video. As it so happens, I have just rolled out of bed and I'm in no fit state to drive never mind shoot today lol. Went to a bbq last night and the ice cold Budweiser was too tempting.

Mudpattern; I'm not allowed to take guest out pigeon shooting as its down to the gamekeepers desgresion who shoots. We are lucky to only have 4 of shoot on the island

As you can see from the first pic I have put the 2 flight lines on (there is a 3rd but its not relevant) and direction of travel. You can see that there is a flight line that runs behind the hide coming from the woods following the hedge line. This flight line is only used in one direction, I have never seen a pigeon flying the other way. This is perfect for setting up the deeks as most of the birds use this line to go out to feed.

So how do I get them to land where I want to? It's all about manipulating the way the pigeon joins a flock to feed and deek placement in such a way, it forces the pigeon to where ever you want.

A pigeon will over fly his friends (the larger group on the top right hand side of the pattern) (this is pigeon etiquette that Archie coats talks about) and join the smaller group of pigeons.

Anymore or can you get where I'm coming from? I must say though I have only used this to this effect 5 times and it has been in the same hide position everytime. It has been use in a different field by my friend with a good effect but I wasn't there to see.