Dry food

THE AD

Ok guy's what do you feed your dogs on (Dried Food) Had a little debate yesterday about different foods so decided to look on the net for more info. The problem is everybody has different views on the matter ie salt e numbers and the like, so just wondered what you feed yours on?? CHEERS.

Arden Grange; have tried a few and keep coming back to it.

But basically if your dog looks and works well and behaves properly feed it what you like. There is a lot a science behind food ingredients if you can be bothered to try and understand it.

Used Skinners for years on my adult dogs and currently using Beta pup for the new critter. Only on the Beta as it was being fed this when collected and will move onto Skinners when more mature.

Happy with Skinners but hear good things about Autarky.

DaveL

We see a lot of local (Portuguese) dried dog food out here and some is as less than E10 per 20 kg (I've no idea what UK costs are) but the problem with these is I can't read what's in 'em so I buy Wagg puppy food online and if I remember correctly, that's about UKP20 per 20 kg with free delivery to Portugal.

You are going to open a can of worms here, my personal opinion is if they are not sensitive to certain foods then don't go for the hypo allergenic type, go for a cheaper one with meat as its main protein source. I have heard great things about Kirkland dog food only available from costco at £29.95 for 18kg and scored a 4/5 by the dog food analysis group.I used to feed burns active but my next dog will be on this CSJ or autarky, and I've done my homework!

Of course there are more expensive foods out there and if you feel better giving your dog this then fine but I think it's cracking a nut with a sledgehammer myself.

You can go on for ages looking at reviews and reading the ingredients for additives and so on.

Why i asked in the first place was that my niece has trained as a dog nutritionist and is working with a gun dog trainer and they have both pointed to wagg as the best food??,don't ask me why it's a bulk up food supplement

Well if she is a a neutritionalist the she is a professional and who am I to argue.

You are right you can spend a lot of time looking a ingredients but I think it's worth studying even if its so you don't get ripped off.

One thing I am certain of is Wagg is basically rubbish food,it is the dog food equivalent of a pot noodle I heard someone say,they make it look like good value by bulking it out with beet pulp which is a by product from sugar beet production and has no nutritional valve at all,some dog foods have as much as 40% of the stuff this means you have to feed nearly twice as much as some more expensive foods for the same amount of nutrition and have to pick up 40% more ****.

It's worth looking at different foods and the amounts you have to feed per kilo of dog and doing the maths,it could mean ( and I know this to be true) that for a few pounds extra per bag you will be getting better value for your money and a better feed for you dog

Wagg Ingredients

Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (5% chicken in brown chunk), Oils and Fats, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Vegetables (4% peas in pea kibble), Minerals, Yeasts (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%).

Additives (Per Kg)
Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 12,000 iu, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 90 iu, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 40 mg, Vitamin B1 (thiamine) 1 mg, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 5 mg, Vitamin B3 (niacin) 20 mg, Vitamin B5 (calcium pantothenate) 10 mg, Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) 2.5 mg, Vitamin B7 (biotin) 0.15 mg, Vitamin B9 (folic acid) 1 mg, Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) 0.03 mg, Iron III Ferric Oxide 900 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 40 mg, Manganous Oxide 80 mg, Zinc Oxide 40 mg, Zinc Chelate 380 mg, Sodium Selenite 0.2 mg. *Colourants, Antioxidant, Preservative. *Colourants – from a mineral source found in nature.

Analytical Constituents
Protein 22%, Fat Content 8%, Crude Fibre 3%, Crude Ash 8.5%, Omega 6, 1.4%, Omega 3, 0.3%.

Arden Grange Ingredients

Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 25%, Fat Content 15%, Crude Ash 7%, Crude Fibres 2.5%, Calcium 1.1%, Phosphorous 0.75%, Omega-3 0.99%, Omega-6 2.72%.

Composition: Chicken meat meal (27%), rice (26%), maize, chicken oil, beet pulp, fresh chicken (5%), chicken digest, yeast, whole dried egg, linseed, fish meal, fish oil, prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, cranberries, yucca extract, glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, nucleotides.

Additives (per kg)
Nutritional Additives
Vitamins: Vitamin A 18,000 IU, Vitamin D3 1,300 IU, Vitamin E 126 IU.
Trace Elements: Zinc chelate of amino acid hydrate 250mg, Zinc sulphate monohydrate 208mg, Ferrous sulphate monohydrate 125mg, Manganese sulphate monohydrate 87mg, Cupric sulphate pentahydrate 30mg, Copper chelate of amino acid hydrate 25mg, Ferrous chelate of amino acid hydrate 21mg, Calcium iodate anhydrous 1.8mg, Sodium selenite 0.5mg. Antioxidants (rosemary and tocopherol-rich extracts).

Edited** to say it won't let me highlight the chicken meat meal at 27%

Dr johns has a minimum of 4% chicken in its ingredients which I think is the minimum amount allowed.

Personally If I had to choose a dog food I'd choose alot of stuff over wagg, I've heard alot of good stuff about autarky which is part of the same company that makes Chudleys but can't find a Ingredient list which states what amount of meat is in it

Edited by pegleg31