aftermarket chokes?

wildfowler.250

Reading a bit about aftermarket chokes on another thread got me thinking about buying one. Do they make a significant difference in the 12 when you are shooting factory steel? What makes do folk recommend and how much do they set you back? I use a maxus but the brother and the old man use a sx3 and xtrema2 respectfully, is there a choke I could purchase that would fit all 3 guns? Or do they tend to be model specific.

It's not a subject I know a great deal about so any info would be helpful :good:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a advocate of aftermarket tubes since the mid 1990s when i used the Hastings turkey chokes in 1187s and sp10 and gold 10gas.

Subsequently with steel i tried the standard chokes in various guns but generaly the aftermarket tubes proved well worth the investment, the first patternmasters worked well but briley chokes proved better in my experience and i was satisfied untill i had a trip to america and on a day pass shooting on Horicon marsh wisconsin a popular pass shooting meca , here i came accross the first SRM terror choke i ever saw it was in a berreta 303 this gun shocked me how well it worked and gave 87% patterns when we tested it compared to a borrowed 870 with briley IM tube that gave 78% with the same federal factory load. I was sold i got my first terror choke a rem choke for my 1187 a .675 and i used this choke for over 6 years.

So what i believe is that in most instances aftermarket choke tubes do work and although not allways will out perform the factory tubes regardless of loads used.

The faster the loads are and the further the range obviously the more problamatic maintaining a practical kiling pattern is, but what i have found is this if you can maintain around a 85%+ pattern at 40yards and a 65% + pattern at 60 yards measured of lethal for use pellets with your factory tubes you probably wont gain anything much from the investment in aftermarket tubes, but if your %ages fall far short of this it will be possible to acchieve such patterns with good aftermarket tubes.

Just what to buy is your choice myself i rate the terror chokes over anything else but Trulocks carlsons and briley and maybe a few more i have no experience of will do the job of acchieving suitable patterns at the sort ranges i mentioned above .

If your shooting is typicaly close range decoying work then you may not see as much improvements with more open choked aftermarket chokes as you will the longer range tubes.

Prices carlsons are in my opinion great vallue and are cheaper than brileys and just as good if not better at range brileys are good as are trulocks you can get most of these and other options from midway uk if they have them in stock but prices are higher than the states but what with shipping and handling customs charges its perhaps your best option.

For a quick easy jump in to effective aftermarket steel chokes take a look at midways carlsons waterfowl set three chokes close mid and extended range and all about 110 quid + postage if i had no hard and fast preferences made on what tubes i favoured it is where i would look first, but me try and get terror 700s out of america, you will pay a hundred by the time you have got one here but buy a couple DS tubes and a optima tube all in the same package may save you a little its your choice.

Edited by B B

Hi I tried getting chokes in from USA a few years ago but couldn't as the were a contraband item. I have some patter masters coming as I know a lad coming over & he is taking them. Know lads that use them & rate them highly.

V max, patternmaster chokes are available in the uk, unless you are a very good shot do not buy the full, my mate has one and really struggled on a trip to Scotland, missing birds I would have expected him to get, he changed the choke and started hitting again.

We plated the choke and it is really tight.

Ok thanks for all the helpfull advice :good: very much appreciated!

My options are that I buy a terror choke or go for a carlson by the sounds of it. A good friend of mine will be going to the states in December time so I could get her to buy one then and take it back? Or should I just get a carlson? All my shooting is flighting/'pass shooting' so I'd like something that put a better pattern at those long distances. What 'size' of choke do you think I should get? 1/2? It would probably be used for duck flighting as well.

Are there specific choke names I should look out for? Or is it just like "terror 700 half choke"?

many thanks and apologies for the dumb questions!

edit: it's mainly for the geese im looking at this for but im not expecting to start pulling stuff down at 70 yards with it :lol:

Edited by wildfowler.250

After chokes come into their own when shooting at 45 yard geese. They pattern so tight they they can produce good paterns with big shot BB or BBB. If most of your shooting is under 40 yard then stick with your present nornal chokes as a full after choke is much too tight for close birds.

Edited by anser2

I bought a xtrema2 off a pw member on saturday it came with a terror 675 choke i tried it over the wk end on some flightline pigeon and took some of the highest birds ive ever shot im yet to pattern it with my home loads but im confident !!!!

I dont do crystal balls but i think you will be presently suprised how good that choke patterns. By the way i am not on SRMs payroll and trust me if i could get performance from stock tubes to beat them i would be using them i hate spending money but i will spend it on these tubes. .

Try huntissimo france. My mate and I got the kicks hi flyer half chokes for the sx3,theese are made for steel shot and plastic wads not fibre. They work very well for what i do with steel 32g 4's and 3&1/2" 1's l. We got them shipped over from America by a very kind person.

I dont do crystal balls but i think you will be presently suprised how good that choke patterns. By the way i am not on SRMs payroll and trust me if i could get performance from stock tubes to beat them i would be using them i hate spending money but i will spend it on these tubes. .

Just put a order in for a terror 10 b 720, and a .675 field choke for me mates extrema i have one in this size for my extrema, just had email through the 720 is fine but they do not make the 675 no more so folk have missed the boat now on that choke size.

Just wondering what my terror 675 would be equivelant to e.g. 1/4 1/2 3/4 ?

Berretas claim to be back bored but in truth allthough they are its marginal your bore will be around .732 thats little more than a standard 12ga Remington 1100s average out at .730 to .732 and never claim to be back bored but there you go, by contrast Brownings are around .740 just for comparison.

Anyway if we take your bore at .732 and your terror is .675 which it will be i am sure of that, you are looking at a choke thats full + 17 though now 20 though is half choke. so its tight :lol:. .

Just put a order in for a terror 10 b 720, and a .675 field choke for me mates extrema i have one in this size for my extrema, just had email through the 720 is fine but they do not make the 675 no more so folk have missed the boat now on that choke size.

They got such a run on terror .720s when they decided to stop production i am suprised any are left, i have three of them now i got a spare .720 last month as i intend to get a second gold lite soon.

Cheers for all the info :good: made interesting reading. So if I was two buy 1 choke (terror) for my maxus to do duck and geese then what would it be? The 700?

ATB

Yes you want the .700 in a true back bored gun, i run a 700 in the versamax and need a 700 and a 675 for the 425 but jeff has to allter the terrors for Over and unders, that may cost a bit more and the availability is drying up fast. so i could end up with carlsons in the .425.

Edited by B B

This is a well known web page that includes these page from an American Waterfowler who had a fondness for the terror chokes, sadly he passed away recently but his work is here to see he was a vertual resident on ohio waterfowlers forum for the past decade at least this where i first got to see some of his posts that were very imformative, and he posted quite often on some of the other open forums over there too.

Many patterns with the terror chokes + others, the wad wizards by the way for those that dont know are a non constriction choke / wad retarding rather like the patternmasters but the wad wizards are not ported and in my experience handle a little more vellocity than the patternmasters and if i wanted a retarder type choke i would go for a wad wizard without a doubt certainly if you are shooting factory ammo available in the uk and reloads no more than 1450fps then the WW could well be a choke you should look at.

http://shotshell.drundel.com/patterns/tripleb.htm

This is a well known web page that includes these page from an American Waterfowler who had a fondness for the terror chokes, sadly he passed away recently but his work is here to see he was a vertual resident on ohio waterfowlers forum for the past decade at least this where i first got to see some of his posts that were very imformative, and he posted quite often on some of the other open forums over there too.

Many patterns with the terror chokes + others, the wad wizards by the way for those that dont know are a non constriction choke / wad retarding rather like the patternmasters but the wad wizards are not ported and in my experience handle a little more vellocity than the patternmasters and if i wanted a retarder type choke i would go for a wad wizard without a doubt certainly if you are shooting factory ammo available in the uk and reloads no more than 1450fps then the WW could well be a choke you should look at.

http://shotshell.drundel.com/patterns/tripleb.htm

I've been reading up a fair bit on different choke manufacturers and different constrictions. The above is also quite informative.Thanks. I read on one forum that some people had issues with the .655 terror and large steel pellets. That is the choke i would like to get for my Xtrema (if i can) and also a .705 for my Browning 10.