Could be a long night

al4x

Well my gwp bitch started welping at 7.30 tonight and we're up to 6 pups so far, all a good size and very lively. I was after a pup from her and it was a now or never moment to breed as she was just getting to 6 so its been a relief so far how straight forward its been. Seems like the end of a long journey from finding a decent stud dog to getting the pups, the stud is a full time deer dog from somerset and an absolute cracker so I have high hopes for these. Both dogs have cracking temperaments and importantly in these not related. Now its a case of seeing how many more appear,

Hugo the stud dog

hugomunty2_zps8b775f4a.jpg

Abbie my bitch

Inrape170513_zps643b9897.jpg

and the first few

P1010727_zpsf9cd203a.jpg

touch wood it has all been very straight forward so far considering she is older than I'd have liked for a first litter. I'm debating whether she might be done its been a fair gap since the last one you never quite know with these they can have large litters but this would be a nice size easy for her to manage, I'll give it a bit longer and whip them off her and have a feel to see if I can feel any more

Brings back memories , i had a litter off my gwp and she was a nightmare with them at first. She kept picking them up and hiding them behind places (like sofa / cabinet etc ) so i moved her and pups down the shed and she laid on the first born pup which i was going to keep back.

The misises went nuts with me for moving them, my bitch had 8 pups 2 of which were liver.

Looks a healthy litter and bitch are doing fine, like the look of the dog too

Wouldn't mind another GWP

I did have to shut her in her whelping box as she had dug a sodding great big hole behind the shed and wanted to have them there but once the first appeared its been straight forward. I have been concerned at her lying on one as they seem to be burrowing to get at the lower set of teats and being under her but so far they seem ok and she has the tube round the box to stop her trapping any in the corners so fingers crossed.

docking is booked for Thursday and I'm not looking forward to it, being a first litter she is being pretty keen not to leave them to the extent she has to be almost dragged out to go to the loo. But she has only had them 24 hours now so it'll wear off but no doubt not before docking.

The dog is from mustwork which have a lot of foreign blood in and not much UK which was one of the reasons I used him, its his first litter and I can see him being quite popular as he is a very good looking dog. Works full time on deer for a keeper down in Somerset and temperament wise you couldn't want more, he was also hip scored and vwd clear so all the recommended stuff done as mine has. Mine is gavic and byantscroft lines and has been a cracker for what I use her for as well as a great house dog. As I was looking for a bitch to keep I wanted a good dog to use and it is a bit of a minefield looking for a decent dog to use, he isn't much bigger than her but he is thicker set so with luck the pups should be pretty good.

Good looking dogs and nice litter Alex, congratulations.

You've obviously done your research and I'm sure they'll do you proud. Interesting to see the colouration on the pups, so different at the moment to dam & sire.

All the best with them, keep the pictures coming as they grow.

DaveL

The colouration is funny and its funny how they develop, this is the litter mine came from and I think she is in the corner of the cage but basically the dark spots stay dark and the rest gets the under dark layer come through with a grey fleck on top as they get older

Abiaspup_zps1446ffc7.jpg

When I first seen a litter oh GWP pups I thought ( a springer had got to the bitch ) as you say they look like springer pups .

As the days weeks go on they change from white base to flech , except if u have solid livers or black in the litter

Never seen newborn GWP pups before !

Amazed how springer like they look :o

Good luck with them :good:

How dare you :lol:

She was very well chaparoned to avoid any little accidents, but yes they do look very similar at the moment till about 6-8 weeks when the fleck starts coming through and the beards start to grow.

Many thanks, I have a fair bit of interest already without advertising as the dog is pretty well known in the stalking world and its his first litter, so I am hopeful of getting them into homes where they will be worked.

I'll keep putting up the pictures as they grow then DH, not much beats a young gwp for cute appeal. Sorry to hear about your dog though the only thing I can add is that I did do a lot of research health wise before the mating to try as far as you can to produce a healthy litter, the known quantity of which is both the bitch and the dog aren't being bred early and they aren't related and are healthy with the recommended health checks done.