Cabinet key security

nsi

Hi.

Newbie around here. Got sgl but no cabinet/gun yet. I fancied a sentry safe or buffalo river digital cabinet as I don't like the idea of having keys that can be copied lost or stolen.

However they are VERY expensive and only the top (large) models have digital. So I'm considering getting a 'normal' key operated bratton sound and then keeping the key in a smaller digital ammo safe adjacent to the gun safe.

Would this 'pass muster' with the feo and 'common sense'?

I know some people have key cabinets or safes and just 'look after' their key. I don't want it on my keyring so will putting it in another 'bs' approved safe be sensible? Seems ok to me but wanted to put it to you guys too.

Cheers

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know a load of people follow that philosophy but I just dump my keys wherever when I'm home! Don't want to lose the when I'm out either!

On the point of knowing my keys are in the safe by the cabinet; I don't expect that matters really as I'll get a BS7558 safe to put them in anyway! So if you break that then you may as well just break the cabinet! Lol! :)

Hi.

Newbie around here. Got sgl but no cabinet/gun yet. I fancied a sentry safe or buffalo river digital cabinet as I don't like the idea of having keys that can be copied lost or stolen.

However they are VERY expensive and only the top (large) models have digital. So I'm considering getting a 'normal' key operated bratton sound and then keeping the key in a smaller digital ammo safe adjacent to the gun safe.

Would this 'pass muster' with the feo and 'common sense'?

I know some people have key cabinets or safes and just 'look after' their key. I don't want it on my keyring so will putting it in another 'bs' approved safe be sensible? Seems ok to me but wanted to put it to you guys too.

Cheers

Hi did you say you have a SGC but no cabinet/gun yet ???

You can have a sgc for use of club guns ect then have a variation once you have a cabinet.( What I have read and been told )

Basically this.

Regards the other points it sounds like my plan is fine. Good stuff! :)

Perhaps it was South Yorkshire police 😆

Only 'need' a cabinet when you have a gun you can and seen it a lot be issued a SGC with outa cabinet but have to get safe storage when you buy a gun.

OP

IMHO your better to store your keys away from the cabinet ideal in a discreet location if you want to use a safe in that location that's fine but don't show or tell people where it is.

WW

Yeah I know a load of people follow that philosophy but I just dump my keys wherever when I'm home! Don't want to lose the when I'm out either!

On the point of knowing my keys are in the safe by the cabinet; I don't expect that matters really as I'll get a BS7558 safe to put them in anyway! So if you break that then you may as well just break the cabinet! Lol! :)

Cabinet keys are often bulky and there can be 3 of them.

They don't go on my key ring and I don't take them out with me.

As others have said, simply find somewhere safe to hide them at home. :good: