Cabinet key security

nsi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a locksmith, and tend to quite a few safes where elecronic locks have failed... Normally after a battery change.

I have a 4k cash rated safe, properly anchored, whick i keep the cabinet keys in.. And i carry the key to the safe with me..

I keep the spare key to the safe in the key cabinet.., not the wisest of things to do.. But as im a locksmith i can open both the safe and cabinet without keys.. But for anyone else i would highly recommend a good place to hide the spare

I cut mine up into 10 parts a key, then bury the ten parts on a local beach below the high water mark making sure their at least a mile apart, I also make sure I use at least 3 types of transport with a detour of approximately 50 miles to ensure I'm not being followed. I then go see the hypnosis guy to get this information wiped from my brain to ensure if I'm held hostage I can't divulge this information. Some may call this a little excessive, better to be safe than sorry.

I cut mine up into 10 parts a key, then bury the ten parts on a local beach below the high water mark making sure their at least a mile apart, I also make sure I use at least 3 types of transport with a detour of approximately 50 miles to ensure I'm not being followed. I then go see the hypnosis guy to get this information wiped from my brain to ensure if I'm held hostage I can't divulge this information. Some may call this a little excessive, better to be safe than sorry.

And now you have ruined it all by posting it on a forum........... time to go digging.....

There is some nonsense spoken of keys and pointless "cheap safes" and stupid security arrangements....... Amazed at how many people thought having an SGC without a cabinet was odd or unusual........

And now you have ruined it all by posting it on a forum........... time to go digging.....

There is some nonsense spoken of keys and pointless "cheap safes" and stupid security arrangements....... Amazed at how many people thought having an SGC without a cabinet was odd or unusual........

My FAC was issued without a home visit, just an interveiw over the phone..... So its feasible that i dodnt have a cabinet until after i had the FAC

In my case i did already have a cabinet for shotguns, but it wasnt big enough to keep the 3 rifles i asked for in it

So i dont show any great surprise in the possibliity

Or a other half that loves moving things to a safer place that's never found again

I never let my other half know where the keys are. She is not a SGC holder. If she had the keys I would be allowing her illegal access to shotguns thus placing my own certificate at risk. The chances of being "caught" are minimal I know, but better safe than sorry.

My missus (non SGC holder) has no desire to access my cabinet. I do however hide my keys but I'm sure she knows where they are as she always finds my cash stash when I've got one! ???

As long as you don't put them in a box marked SHOTGUN CABINET KEYS I'm sure you'll be ok with the law. :good:

Haha I was going to post something like this!

Just hide them in the house somewhere sensible. No need for bizarre practices like wearing it around your neck???

When i got my SGC I did not have a safe I was just told to give him a call when I got a safe and he would pop over for a chat. I keep one set of keys with me all the time and like my house keys and they have never been lost and the other set is somewhere safe where no one ever goes....... :hmm:

I am always loosing keys and misplacing stuff but never the cabinet keys...... a subconscious thing may be......

Well i just rod on my HMR so my ammo safe is empty that is bolted on the top, its only a cheapy Yale branded one but it was sufficient for my FLO to be happy with it and that was my requirement met. Now with the rimmy gone we just us it for pasports and SGC`s and FAC. We are both SGC holders and both have access to the cabint for the shotguns. However my FAC air rifle is secureed int the cabinet with a steel security cable and padlock which the FLO is happy with.She has her set of keys for the cabinet and i have mine with the additional key for my FAC. So we have 3 keys (1 for the little electric safe, 1 for the cabinet and one for the FAC) all hidden in the house as spare should any others be lost.

As said before its not difficult to hide deiscreatly the keys !

If I got a fiver everytime someone said their keys were hidden where nobody could find them, and then had the cabinet opened by theives using the very same keys, I would be retired by now.

I used to get sick and tired of telling people that leaving their keys "hidden" was technically unsecured and in breach of their conditions.

Also many burglars aren't scrotes but "professional" thieves. They see stealing as a job and will have some across all the "clever" hiding places in the course or their career.

If you must store keys in a digital safe then spend the money on a good one. Cheap digital safes are generally cheap for a reason, they're ****.

Also many burglars aren't scrotes but "professional" thieves. They see stealing as a job and will have some across all the "clever" hiding places in the course or their career.

If you must store keys in a digital safe then spend the money on a good one. Cheap digital safes are generally cheap for a reason, they're ****.

What about the "key safes" like the care companies use for vunerable people's house keys on the outside of the house? Where is the best place for keys and spares?

My missus (non SGC holder) has no desire to access my cabinet. I do however hide my keys but I'm sure she knows where they are as she always finds my cash stash when I've got one! ???

As long as you don't put them in a box marked SHOTGUN CABINET KEYS I'm sure you'll be ok with the law. :good:

just make sure she dont find the cartridges then. :lol:

What about the "key safes" like the care companies use for vunerable people's house keys on the outside of the house? Where is the best place for keys and spares?

The only truely safe place is on your person. However that can be impractical due to the ridiculous length of some keys. If someone really has their heart set on a digital safe then just get the best one out that you can afford, if necessary go to a reputable locksmith. Some of the B&Q ones are pure ****.

Some people get a bit silly with the key thing.

:good:

I love it when you get some plonker deriding putting keys in 'safes' because they "keep theirs on them at ALL times", then you ask them what they do when they go to sleep or in the shower... :rolleyes:

Reasonable precautions people, reasonable precautions.... :yes: Mine stays in my pocket and thats good enough.

At the end of the day if someone breaks into your house and has a knife to your throat are you REALLY not going to give them the keys from your pocket, out of your ammo safe, hidden behind the clock on the mantlepiece blah blah blah :rolleyes:

even the best of the keysafes are rubbish, I can open most in seconds without damage, and if in a hurry a large screwdriver and hammer can open then!

if you are going to go for a second digital safe, then you need something with a case rating, a rateing of S1 or £2k or even S2 £4k should be the minimum..

any of the sub £150 "safes" are nothing more than a metal box with a rubbish lock

Hmm, a bit like most gun cabinets then :-)

well, most gun cabinets atleast have proper safe locks, with a minimum 2mm steel body, and hardened plates protecting the locks

I have a bratton sound cabinet, and the general construction is quite good

but if you put your keys in a cheap and nasty digital safe, then you are as good as handing the keys over!