Cabinet key security

nsi

but if you put your keys in a cheap and nasty digital safe, then you are as good as handing the keys over!

Agree 100%. How many people spend hundreds of pounds on a gun cabinet (some people have more than one cabinet) and then put the keys in a £30 B&Q special digital safe?

Edited by Pastiebap

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH if someone is breaking into your house to steal your guns, keys or not the safe will not stop them. I recon with no safe cracking knowledge i could be into me same 30 secs tops adn all the tools are in the gargae anyway.

Keeps the keys as safe as possible and fit a decent house alarm or cctv system.

What about the "key safes" like the care companies use for vunerable people's house keys on the outside of the house? Where is the best place for keys and spares?

Those side-of-house key safes look like a decent tap with a hammer will open them no worries. My cousin had one on her holiday home and it seemed a bit ridiculous.

my FEO advised againts a key safe as if some one found the cabinet they may start looking for the keysafe my keys are in a good hiding place when i am home and when i go offshore they come with me and at the end of the day if someone wanted the contents of the cabinet they would either force me to open it or force their way into it in some way

Those side-of-house key safes look like a decent tap with a hammer will open them no worries. My cousin had one on her holiday home and it seemed a bit ridiculous.

Correct the sub £50 ones are quite week, i open them a lot when old people forget the codes..

Supra now do a much better one with a rrp of £80 but i still would not put my trust in one!

Agree with what's been said. Key safes are rubbish, can be opened in seconds with a feeler guage, b and q digi safes rubbish. A safe is the first thing a thief will target. My keys, on my person. If I'm out so are my keys and they can go ahead and start smashing the Cabernet but with the alarm and dialer already gone off they got 3 minuets lol.

As a master locksmith / safe engineer I know how vunrable most safes are. Even the good locks you can get decoders for a few hundred quid that will open them with little skill in a few mins.

Then there's a big crow bar... Get alarm, keep keys out of sight (includes in a safe) and maybe have a dummy safe visable with some loose change in somewhere to give them Something to do for a few mins before they leg it.

But what happens to the 2 overide keys supplied with it? Get another safe to hide these in?

I keep one set on my main keyring which is on my person and the spares are hidden in the house.

If somebody wants to get into your cabinet that badly an angle grinder to the locks would probably be far quicker than searching for your keys (or a touch of oxy-acetylene), and if you have a key safe then you are just giving Mr Thief a choice of which one to get into.

I reckon a good (and I mean good) hiding place is as good a way of doing it as any. Keeping them on your person is all very well but not practical for a lot of people.

But what happens to the 2 overide keys supplied with it? Get another safe to hide these in?

I keep one set on my main keyring which is on my person and the spares are hidden in the house.

Not so much the overrides, but the idea of biometrics is interesting. In theory the only way the thief would be able to open your safe would be to use your hand.

Not so much the overrides, but the idea of biometrics is interesting. In theory the only way the thief would be able to open your safe would be to use your hand.

Which would be even easier than threatening you or cutting their way in, they'd just need to drag you over to the safe!

Which would be even easier than threatening you or cutting their way in, they'd just need to drag you over to the safe!

Some of us are harder to drag than others :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, if someone determined wanted your guns you would just give them to them as they would knock your door and shove a pistol in your face before asking.

Edited by Pastiebap

Agree with what's been said. Key safes are rubbish, can be opened in seconds with a feeler guage, b and q digi safes rubbish. A safe is the first thing a thief will target. My keys, on my person. If I'm out so are my keys and they can go ahead and start smashing the Cabernet but with the alarm and dialer already gone off they got 3 minuets lol.

As a master locksmith / safe engineer I know how vunrable most safes are. Even the good locks you can get decoders for a few hundred quid that will open them with little skill in a few mins.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. As a master locksmith/safe engineer, I'd give you 60 minutes to get into my key safe. :ninja: I doubt you could.

Edited by Animal Mother

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. As a master locksmith/safe engineer, I'd give you 60 minutes to get into my key safe. :ninja: I doubt you could.

Lol I meant the key safes that are designed for a wall outside a house , supra, or 4 wheel combos etc. If your 'key safe' is a proper safe providing iv got the pick / decoder for that lock, ill take your money for 60 Mins :). Your going to tell me you got a manifold combo now aren't you ;) plus you could be into almost any safe in 60 mins as a bad guy, 12 inch disk grinder and a good dust mask lol

i got this safe

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Gun-Safe-with-Ammo-Box-Electronic-Lock-8-Gun-Capacity-Sealey-SEGS8

its a sealey 8 gun digital lock i got the model with the key system as well for £256 inc vat

SEGS8%20OPEN%20AND%20FULL.jpg

its a great safe with an internal lockable ammo box. it also comes carpeted.

police came around to see it when i put it in and signed it off for FAC. she actualy said i over did it a bit. i think she ment to the mounting bolts i used ( 8 inch expansion bolts into concrete x6. )

great value for money.

Edited by JackD

i got this safe

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Gun-Safe-with-Ammo-Box-Electronic-Lock-8-Gun-Capacity-Sealey-SEGS8

its a sealey 8 gun digital lock i got the model with the key system as well for £256 inc vat

SEGS8%20OPEN%20AND%20FULL.jpg

its a great safe with an internal lockable ammo box. it also comes carpeted.

police came around to see it when i put it in and signed it off for FAC. she actualy said i over did it a bit. i think she ment to the mounting bolts i used ( 8 inch expansion bolts into concrete x6. )

great value for money.

Oooh good find! I didn't know of any brand besides buffalo river or sentry who were doing these and they were over £500ish as I recall. That digital sealey that meets BS7558 for £250 inc vat looks like a great option for me. Thanks very much for the link!