purse nets/long nets

stubby

hi all, just thought I'd ask for comments/Ideas from the more experienced of you out there

not wanting to be a cheap skate, but Im always on the look out on how to make things rather than rush out and buy, untill yesterday when I hope Ive had a brainwave, as I want to get into ferreting, an amount of purse nets were on the buying agenda,

then last night I started thinking about the large amounts of "pigeon netting" at my disposal (pest control pigeon work)

its a black nylon net with a 2" square hole, and I get untold amounts of NEW offcuts, could this be used to make purse nets?? by added rings at either end and a nylon outer cord?

if so, then I suppose it could be used as a long net too?? although I have no idea on how these are constructed, apart from reading about the bagginess

if anyones got an idea on this, post a reply,

I'd like to see a bit to see what your on about ,but there would be no harm in getting a bit and giving it a try your time's free .

2 inch mesh wont allow the rabbit to get its head through the mesh so you would have to extract them to kill them ,no hardship

your going to have to sew rings on the ends again ,no hardship

it might no be a flexible net but b.brinded sell these as bramble nets :good:

If it was me i would get a bit do a few nets and see how you get on with them are they flexible do they purse well do they hold trials like this have helped us move on to spun nylon ect

cheers for the reply bigbob, Ill try and post some pictures up of the net asap, it comes in 10mtr x 10mtr rolls (stock size) and is folded diagonaly corner to opposite corner, so when left unstretched takes the resembalance of a normal purse net, stiching the rings on as you say wouldent be a problem, but for the life of me, cant remember how the outer cord is fixed?, ie peg cord etc, although hope to see a mate and weekend that I can get a glimpse of a purse net :good:

post-1301-1165428847.jpgDoesn`t need to be stitched on.I remember that someone(BB ?)used 2 pieces heat shrink tubingslid onto the net then the net was pushed through the rings for 1 or 2 meshes and then folded over it`s self to lock it onto the ring and then the raggy ends were concealed by the heat shrink tube and shrunk into place.

The cord is then run through a ring and along the side in and out of the end meshes and through the ring at the other end and then along the meshes at the otherside and through the 1st ring.

Hope the pic shows how the cord goes :good:

Quite a few of the commercially available nylon purse nets are made by cutting off lengths from a long piece of net. You can tell that by the finish at the edges.

IMHO you'd want a mesh big enough for Mr. Bunnykins to get his napper through as it helps to hold them once the net has pursed.

Just my two pennuth of course ;-))

Rooster

I went and raked out a deben catalogue and the pigeon netting looks quite a heavy plastic grade but give it a go youv'e nought to lose

at last, got me pictures sorted, dunno if they will give you a good enough view of the net

Image004.jpg

Image003.jpg

sorry about the size of pics

If anything that netting looks like 4z that the normal cheapo nets are made of. If it is nylon would make a good longnet. Although it does look a bit stiff. Try some purse nets with it see how they go got nowt lo loose.

Best bet is to send me a bale of it and I can then test it for you. :blink:

well I had an attempt at making some nets, especially after watch a dvd on ferreting down under, and see that they use a much finer net than us, maybe 1"x1"

so here's a pic of my first atempt's using split rings and nylon brick line, cheap or what :thanks:

if this price, they work out around 50p per any size net, tried a 4ft net but that looks way to big as unlike a handmade net, each row down has one extra hole, so settled on a 3ft net which looks pretty good, and does what is expected, it closes up (purse's) when tried out at home

the only extra I will add on these in the future will be to get some heat shrink wrapping near the rings

of course the proof in the pudding will come when they are tested out on a "live warren", so anyone near to east london, thats going ferreting in the next couple of days, gimme a shout if ya wanna be guinea pigs

I had already thought that this net would be good as a long net, so gimme some Idea's of the height of net(inc baggyness) and total length, as the net comes in 10mtr rolls, once cut to width I could just hog ring lengths together, but use a thicker nylon cord top and bottom, then find some willow? poles

pics as below

Image001.jpg

Image000.jpg

Stubby,

First off what I know about ferreting and long netting can be written on the back of a match book cover. As to making nets henryd and tercil are the boys to talk to. Secondly I would suggest that you sew the nets together to get your desirable length as I know from working with the pheasant nets doing quick repairs after a snow storm, that you will regret using hog rings. They become tangled and create a nasty mess in a very short order.

This thread should help with some of your questions.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=2211&st=0