Reloading cartridge problem

Hi Guys

not sure if i have asked this before but i am really confused as to what reloading chart to use fro reloading ELEY,HULL CARTRIDGE,GAMEBORE.

because all the charts are american and only talk about winchester or federal or fiochi.

so can anybody please throw some light on this problem for me.

i am wanting to use the cartridges i have shot to save buying any new ones for a while.

also does it matter whether they have high brass or not in other words can i load the same 28g load in any of the cartridges regardless of high or low brass.

Thank you

Daz

My load (came from someone on here, sadly I can't remember who) is 20.5grains Vectan AS to 28g shot, plastic wad- it's cheap, doesn't kick much and is incredibly clean.

My advice would be to switch to AS or the relevant vectan A? For heavier loads, it's cheaper and you use less per cartridge; happy days.

While we're on the subject, I've no idea if you need it or not but the best way I can describe the difference in hulls; if you were to fill an "American" hull with water and freeze it - the ice cube would be bullet shaped. If you did the same with what we call plastic tube cases, it would have a flat end with a chamfer around it - these obviously have more space but, apparently the powder burns differently because of the shape of the charge - so using the same amount of powder but finding a wad that gets everything the right height within the cartridge isn't the right way to go either.

Clay and game sell sheets with load data that they email to you, I think I paid a pound for one but it only had a few loads on it that were relavant to what I was looking for - may be worth a look for the sake of a quid though.

The TWO main books are the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Handbook & the book on Shotshell Reloading by Rick Sapp...as to other books, I buy ANY & ALL reference books I can find; plus check out the dedicated reloading sections on several shotgunning websites/forums

A lot of British shells are the Italian "Cheddite" types...so the data is out there, just not as much of it as you say when looking at the USA books which concentrate on USA brands of hulls/powder/wads/etc.

There IS some data on the Vectan website & the GIAP sites, but these then go off on a totally different tangent and rely on less common European components.
The USA powder maker sites also have a good set of online data for reference/download

My own reloads tend to be on the mild side due to the type of shooting I use them for (20gr of Unique with a WAA12 wad & 525gr sabot slug) as I take part in timed shoots, using a pump; so lower recoil = faster recovery back onto target = hopefully a faster finish time

Its good to ask any questions on here as you'll get some good info & advice :good:

(as long as you dont mention that shooting is fun or anything ie. "Circuit Judge" posts) :whistling:

Guest cookoff013

the european hulls are cheddite and fiocchi. also look out for federal hulls. they are not too dissimilar to euro hulls.

my advice would be to aquire as much data as you can for the powder / shot type and weight, then there should be a correlation to the minimal ammount to use and the maximums.

the european hulls have alot of volume, so wads are bigger and powder densitys are lighter. (or our powder is more fluffy)

for certain applications its more to do with economy. winchester aa hulls are compression formed and have tapered walls, using dense / heavy fast powder with this makes sense. as use less powder and get same pressures and velocity.

The same as everyone elses primer a standard 209 size. Used cases aint what they use to be and my findings are that next to no used cases today want to hold a fresh primer.

You use to be able to get a slightly larger primer.

The last ones I got I had a choice of two, I asked if I could measure them and chose the slightly larger diameter one!

U.

The same as everyone elses primer a standard 209 size. Used cases aint what they use to be and my findings are that next to no used cases today want to hold a fresh primer.

You use to be able to get a slightly larger primer.

The last ones I got I had a choice of two, I asked if I could measure them and chose the slightly larger diameter one!

U.

Hull Cartridge still accept Cheddites and Fiocchi OK, as do the Gamebore I have tried. Eley are now owned by Maxam, as are Rio, Caladonian and Saga who all use the oversize primer. Oversize Rio primers are available from Clay and Game.

What cases where you trying to use UD?

Edited by Wharf Rat

Look at Hodgdon reloading data center or Lyman data. There is not much difference between straight wall hulls. Brass height is not much important in plastic shells but base wad height, base wad shape still important. Stick to given recipes to the utmost.

also does it matter whether they have high brass or not in other words can i load the same 28g load in any of the cartridges regardless of high or low brass.

All sorts of cases that I have reloaded leave a bit to be desired imo.

I have measured loads of primers and find little to no difference.

I think pressure slackens new base wads more than the old ones. It was never an issue 20+years ago!

I sometimes use a blob of super glue to secure the primer now. Never use too!

U.

Any one who has the clay game disc will find a page refering to primer size cheddite CX 2000, CX 1000,CX 50 Are all the same size UEE 684 UEE 615 UEE 686 Are all the same size but are approx 3 tho bigger than the cheddites

you need to collect cases fron a premier ground where people buy good quality shells not your local club ground that has a sporting twice a month

Deershooter

i am mainly using hull cartridges so should i use fiochii data

i get loads of hull cartridges so i can stick to them and forget about the rest.

Cheers

Daz

Hi there, if you ring clay and game, they will advise you on what to use, dont just download a recipe sheet....speak with them, the chap who runs it , is very knowledgeable and will advise you safely...its in his interests to inform you, as there may be a possible future order!

best wishes...Dale.

• 3 years later...