Blindness in Pheasants

Could be a sign of micro pal. I would say knock them on the head ASAP to stop the spread if it is micro. Virkon in the water will also stop it from spreading. Are their eyes swollen at all?

Myco ? As in mycoplasma?

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/gamekeeping/tacklingbulgy-eye-in-pheasants.cfm

Antibiotics and bio security. Which vet do you use, they could diagnose that quiet quickly I think?

Other one that springs to mind is ammonia burn, very rare in the UK and even rarer in young birds which should have very little ammonia build up around them.

Definitely not born blind and easier to see as they grow?

Edited by JustJon

Well they are ex layers so I'd assume its something that has developed recently. We are only a little DIY shoot so haven't really used a vet before as I have got flubenvet from a friend for gapes etc... Which is the only thing I thought I might see in the birds but instead they are going blind. Haven't tapped them on the head yet as they seem to be finding food as been in the pen almost 3 weeks now but I know I'm being stupid as if they even find their way out they will surely make fox fodder. Ill grab the ones I see tomorrow and tap them on the head and pray it doesn't keep happening.

Eyes don't look swollen as such just shut and when they do open them it's all like glazed over and clear and obviously blind as running into anything and you can pick them up!

Layers used to get routine antibiotics each year and antibiotic pressure has stopped that.

Whatever they've got will spread if you leave them. Knock them on the head.

As said - water will help it spread if its disease. Wet area in the pen or drinker system. You can use low levels of disinfectants in the water - BioVX (same actives as Virkon S) at 1:1000 or BioClean Aqua at 1:10,000 are the 2 options - I tend to prefer the latter as I've seen results on each. Depends how you're water system is setup?

Also, wet areas in the pen are bad if disease has started ?

Look up westpoint vets, they are pretty interested in gamebirds get a couple into them and work out what it is and treat the lot before you loose them.

yeah I'd have to agree with that, all manner of 'bugs' will cause blindness, most are easy to treat, some fungus based could be present in the pen environment and will continue to infect despite necking. Please report back here with what the vet says.

Some of them look glazed over and white and in other it must be more progressed as the eyes remain shut. Tapped 4 on the head today but couldn't catch any more as they still hear you coming and run of. Gotta be 12-15 I saw with the condition. This is just what I need. We are only a small shoot in the first year and I'm paying for everything and can't afford a £300/£400 vets bill! Seems to be spreading though so will have to so something. Thanks for the suggestions

Some of them look glazed over and white and in other it must be more progressed as the eyes remain shut. Tapped 4 on the head today but couldn't catch any more as they still hear you coming and run of. Gotta be 12-15 I saw with the condition. This is just what I need. We are only a small shoot in the first year and I'm paying for everything and can't afford a £300/£400 vets bill! Seems to be spreading though so will have to so something. Thanks for the suggestions

couple of pm and some meds won't be silly money, 70 quid or so from our vets

and of course if its coming from something in the pen you just loose more birds until the offender is identified

Glad my link was useful. They need antibiotics mate. Vet, fast to prevent further spread.

Maybe treat water and look at pen for areas mycoplasma may thrive and spread - similar to bacteria it likes wet areas and the warmth will help it grow quicker

Result: took a live bird to vets today and they diagnosed as microplasmosis and prescribed me with aivlosin which I have now distributed accordingly following the instructions given by the vet. Have caught and culled every bird I could see with signs. Also disinfected all drinkers and feeders and sprayed the fence and other areas!

Here's hoping!

Thanks for the advice.

I would be speaking with your supplier asking for recompense.

I would almost guarantee that the birds came with it, particularly being ex layers, and if they are a reputable supplier they will look after you. The stress of catching up and transport will have brought it to the fore.

Thankfully i've never been unfortunate to have mycro, yet! touch wood.

I know it's impossible to say when u don't know the set up, but is there anything u can do to try and minimise a stress related disease flaring up when u get birds? Do any of the tonics, multi vit things work? Or just a case of having plenty drinkers and feeders out so birds are getting plenty feed and water easiy.

Also as it's a new pen in it's first year is there a chance next years birds wether poults or layers may come down with it as bacteria in pen now? Or is there anything u can doo to try and minimise the chances of it flareing up either later in season or next year

We have a prescription feed on the go from day 1 with a set timetable for medicated and non medicated pellets to get through the first month or so. Though we aren't on ex layers it never hurts to do the same, but you do need a vet and to talk to them to work out a strategy before you get problems rather than after.

Well at least now I know. I guess a thorough disinfect off all the pen with virkon through a sprayer plus all drinkers/feeders etc... Will minimise the chance of this occurring in the same pen next year?

All you can do now is treat your birds and maintain a vigorous hygiene regime, disinfecting drinkers and the like and the use of foot baths when going in and out of the pen and cull any birds with signs of the disease.

Remember that it is passed on bird to bird and the bacteria does not live for more than a few days outside the bird so you should ensure that at the end of the season you shoot every bird you can find thus ensuring that there are no hosts left for next seasons birds. By doing this you will have minimised the chance of reinfection next year because as I said the bacteria won't live outside the host for more than a few days. All you are then left with is x infection from crows and the like which is unlikely.

I really can't stress enough the importance of buying from a reputable gamefarm who will carry out tests on birds as a matter of routine to help reduce the likelihood of this happening and perhaps next year you may consider buying in poults.

Now you are treating them you should be on top of it.

Another thought, I hope you have a worming program, as birds stressed by disease are more likely to be further stressed when worms are present.

When working out your worming dates, start working back from your first shoot date allowing for the withdrawal period and then you will be able to calculate your worming dates back to the present.

Ref the virkon I strongly recommend that you put it in their drinking water this cuts out any cross contamination, we use one gram per liter of water. A lot if game farms inject against mycro however this only lasts for roughly 3 months hence why a lot of ex layers break out in it. Injection has warn off and birds are at their lowest. Have you got them on multi vitamins? Can I ask what % of protein pellet wise you are giving them.