Blindness in Pheasants

Ref the virkon I strongly recommend that you put it in their drinking water this cuts out any cross contamination, we use one gram per liter of water. A lot if game farms inject against mycro however this only lasts for roughly 3 months hence why a lot of ex layers break out in it. Injection has warn off and birds are at their lowest. Have you got them on multi vitamins? Can I ask what % of protein pellet wise you are giving them.

I manufacture disinfectants and vitamins with a huge range - if you want to chat through options just drop me a PM?

There's specific options for everything you need. Virkon is a good all rounder but with specific options and areas you may need specific products and different modes of action (like antibiotics working against different things)

The saga continues...

Phoned the vets today to get a second does of the Aivlosin as advised and picked it up. Got to the shoot and was just sitting in the motor having a read of the instructions and noticed the medication expired in October 2012! Checked the other packet which was still in my motor that the birds had already had and yep you guessed it: same date!

Phoned vets up straight away to have it out and they admitted all their Aivlosin stock there had the same date and apologised. The practice manager is ringing me back first thing tomorrow.

How should I proceed as technically my birds have still not been medicated and I'm £100 out of pocket!!!!!!!

give them what you've got claim you gave it to them before you read the label and get the replacement drug. Then keep that in case you have a problem, expiry date on drugs is pretty unlikely to make a difference unless years out of date with most products.

• 6 years later...

very stressful this keepering lark, whether looking after 100 or 10,000

Good luck.

Sometimes it is just best to cull those with symptons, eyes and coughing, and let the rest out and hope for the best

I know it has been said before, but poults are best in almost all situations