Which 'small' 4X4?

wildfowler.250

Needing opinions on a small ish 4x4. I was thinking of looking at a grand vitara. I need something primarily for getting from the main road down muddy,snowy,icy tracks to get to to wildfowling car parks ect,(maybe odd bit of lamping) but also has to be ok on the roads. Need the usual boot space for a dog box and hide gear ect.

What is the above car like? I thought about a jimny but they are a bit poofy and small and also terrible on the roads apparently,(although good on the road).

Appreciate any tips or suggestions. Basically I need something that can handle a but of mud or snow but I'm not doing regular 'proper' offroading if that makes sense?

I've been past my test 5 years so hopefully insurance wont be too bad!

Thanks in advance

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing poofy about jimnys, its not terrible on the road at all, not been stuck off road yet either...

At under £200 insurance and £135 road tax per year, its a great option for a second/shooting car.

post-11306-0-98030600-1373724699_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrispti

What bout normal vitara? I love mine once you fold the seats down theres plenty of space. Nice and light and farmers dont mind me driving on there land because of this. Never been stuck and they are nice and quiet while out lamping. Have a landy s3 too but prefer my vit!

Thanks for all the feedback. So a LOT of suggestions for vitara/grand vitara and jimny. Is there anything in particular is should look out for when looking at these cars?

I'll probably put some winter tyres on it so it hopefully wont look too gay :lol: Maybe some bull bars :hmm:

actually this is pretty sweet! http://offroad-armory.com/images/BIG%20IMAGES/JIMNY-LG.gif