Which 'small' 4X4?

wildfowler.250

I've got a daihatsu fourtrak. 2.8 turbo diesel. They got bullet proof motors and easy to run and maintain. Theres alot of nice ones out there. Just keep an eye out for rust rotted ones. Good news is they have independent chassis like the old landies so a bit of body rust isnt an mot issue unless its the body mounts. Tough and reliable and comfy on the road too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a daihatsu fourtrak. 2.8 turbo diesel. They got bullet proof motors and easy to run and maintain. Theres alot of nice ones out there. Just keep an eye out for rust rotted ones. Good news is they have independent chassis like the old landies so a bit of body rust isnt an mot issue unless its the body mounts. Tough and reliable and comfy on the road too.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at them and couldn't see anything that had done less than 100,000 miles!

Jimnys useless on the road...... Please elaborate??

Ok, there not sports cars, but there no different than any other 4x4 handledng wise...

And on the plus side, my mobile hairdressing business has gone from strength to strength since I got mine...

Im not sure exactly as im yet to drive one. I cant imagine it'll go round corners well at speed :lol: I'm very tempted to get one and take out the back seats.

I've also got 2 fourtraks. I wouldn't worry about the milage if the oil is changed regular. Mine have done

137, 000 and the other 473, 000. As said before engine bullet proof just look if the various common places for rot. They are very easy to weld anyways.

"Nothing poofy about jimnys, its not terrible on the road at all, not been stuck off road yet either...

its a great option for a second/shooting car."

GREAT wee cars,. this was bought yesterday for our shoot...fantastic little truck, 2" lift and mud plugger tyres, complete bargain too... :)

DSC_0325_zps744e9ef6.jpg

Edited by Norrie

Jimnys useless on the road...... Please elaborate??

Ok, there not sports cars, but there no different than any other 4x4 handledng wise...

Do a 150 mile trip in a jimny, then a Rav4, CR-V, freelander and then go back to jimny.....

Off road they are awesome, but both the vitara and jimny are horrid on the road put aggressive tyres on and lift the suspension then you have made the road manners far worse than the factory deem acceptable......

What's your budget? If its for the odd farm track snowy lane and general driving there are far better options IMO

Do a 150 mile trip in a jimny, then a Rav4, CR-V, freelander and then go back to jimny.....

Off road they are awesome, but both the vitara and jimny are horrid on the road put aggressive tyres on and lift the suspension then you have made the road manners far worse than the factory deem acceptable......

What's your budget? If its for the odd farm track snowy lane and general driving there are far better options IMO

Done 60,000 miles in my jimny so far, its far from useless...

Done 60,000 miles in my jimny so far, its far from useless...

I've only done three miles in that one, but it will never see the road again, shoot ground only..:) My mate had a Jimny, loved it, but it was bog standard...traded it in against a Defender, regretted it so much, he bought a Ford ranger...:)

Would like to spend a few grand really. Just want a wee shooting vehicle that's good on and off road. The Rav would be nice but they seem to hold their value more second hand. Need something that'll take a dog box and hide gear and if there's plenty snow out I don't have to worry about getting the last mile from the main road to the car park for wildfowling. Been using a Clio the last 5 years. I get 60 mpg but on snow you really are sweating :lol: . Keen to do more lamping too but again that's just driving round fields.

There is a good reason the RAV's hold their value might get a tidy LWB petrol for that money SWB is great but the boot leaves alot to be desired with rear seats in place (but as good as other small 4x4 pinin, jimny etc SWB shogun van is a good option or a terrano they are pretty bomb proof if looked after

fourtraks look very carefully for rust, sills and under the boot floor round the wheel arches being particularly bad. They will pass MOT's with quite extensive rust as being separate chasis the sills etc aren't fails as far as i know till they get really bad.

Don't believe the 30mpg I never got that with either of the ones I had, very good trucks but they are getting long in the tooth now

fourtraks look very carefully for rust, sills and under the boot floor round the wheel arches being particularly bad. They will pass MOT's with quite extensive rust as being separate chasis the sills etc aren't fails as far as i know till they get really bad.

Don't believe the 30mpg I never got that with either of the ones I had, very good trucks but they are getting long in the tooth now

Cheers al4x! Very helpful :good: I'm guessing you liked them?

I'm going to have a snoop round and see if I can get one that hasn't been 'flogged'. Don't fancy something that's already done 100K!

Could u not just put grippy/winter tyres on ur car or buy a van/car with high ground clearance. It's amazing where u can put a 2wd drive car with a bit of thought. Plus a 2wd car with grippy tyres may not that far behind a 4wd with slick road tyres. Plenty off keepers/farmers 20+ years ago only had 2wd drive cars and used them for work the way they use 4wd now, althou it is a lot easier now

I've just scrapped my wee skoda pick up, ran it with winter tyres all year as wheels too small to buy proper off road tyres, had it in some queerish places and that was towing a trailer too, far prefered to drive it in the snow than my L200

All 4x4's are expensive to run and keep on the road for wot they are. The jimny's aren't bad, lot better on road than old SJ's (which could be scary going round a corner a bit too fast) althou lower so not as good off road, as soon as u put A/T tyres usualy both milage and handling get worse and road noise goes up

If ur only doing a bit off lamping buy a battery pack or rechargable torch and just go on foot.