Which 'small' 4X4?

wildfowler.250

Buy a Toyota 4runna and cut it in half and spend a week in the garage with a welder like I did lol goes anywhere and can shoot of the back. Spot on all thought the Mississippi wasn't keen.

041-1.jpg

Seriouse answer I would buy a Suzuki sj410, plenty with 1.6 vihara engines in and offroad tyres, cheap tax, insurance and running costs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as soon as u put A/T tyres usualy both milage and handling get worse and road noise goes up

I have larger than standard tyres on my jimny, 215 75 15, iv used General Grabber ATs, Nexen ATs and BFG ATs, mpg wasn't affected too much, currently getting about 30mpg.

No difference in the handling and no increase in road noise.

Mud terrain tyres will give poor mpg and increased road noise.

Buy a Toyota 4runna and cut it in half and spend a week in the garage with a welder like I did lol goes anywhere and can shoot of the back. Spot on all thought the Mississippi wasn't keen.

041-1.jpg

Seriouse answer I would buy a Suzuki sj410, plenty with 1.6 vihara engines in and offroad tyres, cheap tax, insurance and running costs

Or just buy a chopper and never get stuck again :lol:

Jimnys are truly shocking on road, :/

slow,noisey,poor mpg ,light on the back end ,to the point of being scarey around bends in the wet,

add to this ,the lack of room to carry anything other than 25 cartridges ,and this is the thing that seems to get over looked the most, :blush:

I can,t see any reason to buy one,they are the most over rated thing that gets discussed on this forum.

They will do nothing that a bigger 4x4 cant do . :no:

But a bigger 4x4 will transport you and your dog and equipment with far more comfort ,and if needed ,a friend and his dog and equipment . :good:

Even with the rear seats removed, I dont think a jimny would be up to a days picking up for me , :/ I would,nt get three labs a couple of coats,a boot bag ,a dinner bag ,water bowl ,and enough room for up to 10 birds in one .

I dont think I would get all my pigeon shooting equipment in one ,let alone take a mate and his dog and gear as well.

I was almost taken in by the people on here that big them up because they own one , :good:

then my son bought one , :no:

I drove it ,and before i'd got into top gear ,new it was the worst motor ,i,d driven since 1981,(I had been told by a work mate whose wife bought a new one, that they were **** around corners,and deadly in the wet!) :oops: because my son works twenty odd miles from his home ,he soon realised his mistake and sold it!

I'd rather have a car derived van ,like an astra van, than a jimny ,far more usefull.

slow,noisey,poor mpg ,light on the back end ,to the point of being scarey around bends in the wet,

add to this ,the lack of room to carry anything other than 25 cartridges ,and this is the thing that seems to get over looked the most, :blush:

I can,t see any reason to buy one,they are the most over rated thing that gets discussed on this forum.

But a bigger 4x4 will transport you and your dog and equipment with far more comfort ,and if needed ,a friend and his dog and equipment . :good:

Even with the rear seats removed, I dont think a jimny would be up to a days picking up for me , :/ I would,nt get three labs a couple of coats,a boot bag ,a dinner bag ,water bowl ,and enough room for up to 10 birds in one .

I dont think I would get all my pigeon shooting equipment in one ,let alone take a mate and his dog and gear as well.

I was almost taken in by the people on here that big them up because they own one , :good:

I drove it ,and before i'd got into top gear ,new it was the worst motor ,i,d driven since 1981,(I had been told by a work mate whose wife bought a new one, that they were **** around corners,and deadly in the wet!) :oops: because my son works twenty odd miles from his home ,he soon realised his mistake and sold it!

I'd rather have a car derived van ,like an astra van, than a jimny ,far more usefull.

While I get a lot of your sentiments how on earth do you go picking up in an astravan?

Personally where the jimney falls down for me is economy, when its the same as my L200 I can't see a reason to own one.

Get what suits you needs, a little jimny suited my needs.

Slow and not much room, agreed, but, as above.

Any rear wheele drive motor is twitchy in the wet, I find pickups far worse than a jimny!

My shooting ground is about 5 miles away, I can fit my gear and dog in + what I shoot in a day, just fine.

I didn't need a thirsty expensive to run (tax and insurance wise) motor to get me about my shoot and the jimny fitted with some BFG ATs, did go everywhere the defenders, discoverys, pickups etc, went.

Edited by chrispti

Well thanks for all the comments! All I've gathered is that there doesn't seem to be a 4X4 that's decent on and off the roads,(apart from maybe the rav4). I really don't like the foresters so wouldn't go for one if them.

If I could keep the Clio and maybe find a shotgun pinnin for running around that would be ideal.

rav4 lacks ground clearance certainly my brothers had an exhaust that was constantly getting smacked. the Xtrail might be a call if you want something more economical and slightly larger. Never going to be that good off road but would be ok for softroading

Thanks alx4 :good:

I'm reading up on the pinnin just now. The old man used to have a couple of shoguns years ago and they were good cars.

I'm more inclined to go for something smaller and take out the back seats if necessary. I'm at uni in glasgow so if I take the car down,(for whatever reason) parking might be a pain!

While I get a lot of your sentiments how on earth do you go picking up in an astravan?

Personally where the jimney falls down for me is economy, when its the same as my L200 I can't see a reason to own one.

I Dont go picking up in an astravan,I use the right tool for the job!

What I said was, i,d rather have an astravan than a Jimny.

The original rav4 has better ground clearance than the current one pinin may be horrific to insure but then might not

Why would insurence be a problem for a pinin from what I have seen of them the only disadvantage to them is you cannot do a body lift to put big wheels/tyres on them unlike the rav 4 the pinin has a low/high gearbox I think rust is a problem for them.

A mate has just bought a 52 plate TD4. He says these are reliable, all BMW mechanics. Is he right or is it a lemon like the rest?

Engine is good but running gear is the issue, not cheap when you get problems either. You just have to accept that with owning one that you will probably have problems its just how many and how expensive that varies

I've been having a look at the terrano's but most seem to be a 7 seater job or 100,000 plus miles.

Currently the list is

1) grand vitara/pinin

2) fourtrack or terrano

I've heard too many negatives about the jimny so its kind of put me off. A rav would be nice but they are more £.

Ill keep you posted. Many thanks for all the info! :good:

I've been having a look at the terrano's but most seem to be a 7 seater job or 100,000 plus miles.

Currently the list is

1) grand vitara/pinin

2) fourtrack or terrano

I've heard too many negatives about the jimny so its kind of put me off. A rav would be nice but they are more £.

I've been thinking about a Terrano. There's some 15+ year old models about in remarkable good condition. The finish and build quality must be pretty good. Do wonder about the fuel economy of that 2.7L engine though. Had an old Fourtrak and that was awful.

Seriously, drive a forester, and pop on YouTube and watch a few vids of what they can do off road. No they don't have low ratio but for mostly on road with a few farmers fields thrown in its more than capable but very comfortable too.

Massive sunroof, pop a roof rack on to sit on and lamp away.

Apparently the permanent awd is managed by an electric clutch/diff to the rear wheels. I've been told you can put a switch in to turn off the rear, which means only front wheels have drive, which gives better fuel economy. I have yet to look into this more though before I think about it.

Currently the list is

1) grand vitara/pinin

2) fourtrack or terrano

I ended up buying a 7 seater, but glad i did now took the 6/7 seat out to give me loads of room in the back for shooting kit etc. There is low mileage ones out there but you have got to search, took me around 2 mths of looking but found one in the end :good:

I've been thinking about a Terrano. There's some 15+ year old models about in remarkable good condition. The finish and build quality must be pretty good. Do wonder about the fuel economy of that 2.7L engine though. Had an old Fourtrak and that was awful.

They suffer from a few problems to look out for, for but some nice ones out there,as for the 2.7dti engine im getting around 32ish overall, london cab engines apparently.

so go on for ever and no cambelt to change, they do sound a bit agricutural but i find adding a bit of 2 stroke oil when filling up helps it run a touch quieter imho :good:

Edited by fruity