Which 'small' 4X4?

wildfowler.250

the problem with foresters is the ones in budget will all be petrol and give about 30mpg so really its the same as a jimney and why have a pretend 4x4 when you can run a proper one for the same money

Because from the original post, it sounded like he needed it for mainly on road, and a little off road/snow. Why not get something more than capable and more comfortable?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just recently bought myself a Jimny. Less than £1300 for a 2000 reg with 58,000 miles. Needs a few bits doing, but can't argue at the price.

Love it! Yes, it's not really suited to motorways but OK for local lanes, into the city etc. (Brought it to work this morning -small and easy to park!). Not had a chance to use if off road that much yet, but what I've tried it's handled fine. Loaded it up with quite a lot of firewood (rear seats down, not out) and it handled it perfectly. Also, it makes me appreciate driving my other car (sports car) on road all the more!

Give one a go... Don't expect sports car like ride and handling, but I've not feared for my life in it yet.

Even with the rear seats removed, I dont think a jimny would be up to a days picking up for me , :/ I would,nt get three labs a couple of coats,a boot bag ,a dinner bag ,water bowl ,and enough room for up to 10 birds in one .

Am I reading this right - All that gear and three dogs for up to 10 birds?

Thats right Ten birds for one drive!

might be more ,might be less,

I dont usually need to put them in my truck,but if I miss the game cart because i,m looking for a bird ,I would have to take what I picked up with me ,until I caught up with it.

Why how many birds do you think I should have?

I'd go with fourtrak. Extremely reliable. Fold up rear seats or take them out for room. It will run on diesel or veg oil with no modifications. But don't be put of by the fact they might have done a 100k the engines are bullet proof and any Google search will prove that. A fourtrak engine that has been serviced regularly will easy do 400k. The only downside to them is rot. Check sills rear arches inside where it meets the boot also check the boot floor. But they come apart so easily and nice and easy to weld them anyway. Sills can still be bought from milners.

If you looking at any of the bigger diesel 4x4s like the isuzu trooper, nissan terrano or landrover discovery, dont be too put off by high mileage as these things are designed for use off road they are all heavily built so stand the test of time. 100,000 miles on a lot of the engines and running gear is nothing to worry about. Best thing to do is jump in one and drive it as that is the only way you can tell if it has been looked after. The main problem is rust for the bodywork or chassis, some suffer from one some the other and some both basically what ever you go and look at get down on the floor have proper prod about.

My family have had a few 4x4s between us and me and my brother have both now got 300tdi discos. The amount of truck you get for your money is pretty good, granted they have their faults but nothing is expensive to fix. Discoverys have very few mechanical breakdowns its normally niggly faults like electric windows or central locking etc. Rust is there big killer but you can still pick up some tidy ones or ones that have already had the work done, also they arent actually that big. Fuel wise i get around 30mpg.

My dad had an isuzu trooper for ages which served him well, only sold it as needed a new cambelt and some other jobs doing which meant it was better to sell it and buy something else. The cambelt on these is an expensive job around £800.00 as need to take the whole front end off. Over the 5/6 years he had it never broke down and had very few problems. He got it at about 120,000 miles and sold it at 180,000. Overall a great truck but fuel he would only get low 20s about 24mpg. Even with the high mileage it still drove really nicely and engine fired up straight away and didnt burn any oil etc.

My other 4x4 for was a LWB 2.7td nissan terrano (which my dad now has) This was quite a bit newer than the Landrovers and Isuzu as was on a X reg. It had no rust on it what so ever. I liked the nissan but sold it to my dad as found the suspension a bit hard and not particularly comfortable on long journeys (i replaced it with a mondeo only to buy my discovery 5 months later). Fuel wise i got 32mpg on a daily commute.

Out of the three the best value for money is the Nissans for age and condition but if i had all 3 parked on the driveway I would always jump in the disco first as the most comforable, if towing probably the isuzu and i reckon the Nissan would get no use.