Just applied for FAC in Avon & Somerset

PUSC

Hi all,

I'am concerned about potential conditions coming back on my FAC do I email BASC ahead of being told about the conditions on the license so I can understand what my reply could be and get them mitigated or do I wait or do I just accept them?

Secondly - If I do get accepted I need some rifles and would like to know somewhere well recommended north of Bath/East of Bristol to go and look at some - Where is any good and o they p/x?

Thanks in advance.

PUSC

Edited by PUSC

What conditions do you expect, to be honest there isn't much you can do till you know if they impose any.

Just noticed you are hoping for a .243. I guess as a newbie they will insist you have a mentor which is standard for A&S, I've had to mentor a couple of first time c/f lads from A&S. The only way you may get out of it is by completing the DSC1 but that's not guaranteed as each applicant is treated on their own merit.

Edited by CharlieT

I phoned them today - turned out the cheque was wrong again (not my fault this time though) :whistling: so it's going in tomorrow's post.

On the phone they told me I had to have DSC1 for the .243. Now that is something I was planning to do, however the course on the BDS site is £25 cheaper and much nearer than the BASC ones I was wondering if anyone knows if you have to be a member to apply for their courses?

Also I am a little bit aggrieved as it basically is putting a condition of an extra £300 on anyone wanting to join the sport, which isn't peanuts to be honest - and at a time whereby the expenditure on a rifle/scope will be high.

It's a bit of a pain however they have said that they would grant it with proof of booking the course, otherwise it's a bit chicken and egg in that I'd want to take my own rifle to be tested!

Thanks for the advice! - Been having a browse at sportsman and think I am going to go and look over some rifles at the CLA

Any opinions on Avalon guns or anywhere north of Bath?

Avalon are good and well priced as are Ivythorne, well worth a visit as they are not far from each other. I have no experience of anyone else near you. I see Avalon have a T£ light at £695.

You have to be a member of the BDS to book one of their courses. If you don't want to do the DSC you could try negotiating to have a mentor instead and then do the DSC at a later date when funds permit.

Bit difficult really as the people I would know well enough to ask aren't even in the county (people from university who signed the application for the FAC) think I might have to drop BASC a line after all.

I suppose the £55 for membership means that the course is only a bit more expensive and will be much more convenient than Exeter from BASC.

I am unsure about synthetic stocks if I am honest, feel a bit old school but I do like a nice piece of wood lol

You presumably have stalking ground on which you can use your rifle so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to come out with you for a few months.

When you join the BDS why not ask your local branch if they have anyone who would accompany you as a mentor.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across some of his stock on guntrader. Seemed like quite a nice chap, I was thinking i'd really like to go out with the rifle before purchasing it and feel the difference between the different types. Is he nr. Street?

• 2 weeks later...